PDA

View Full Version : Headset Microphone Impedance

redED
24th Feb 2012, 22:07
Just been told by our company that we are no longer allowed to use Bose headsets on our Embraers as the microphone impedance (5 Ohms) is outside the manufacturers limits 50-150 Ohms.

Please could someone with a bit more technical knowledge explain this one to me . . .

grounded27
25th Feb 2012, 05:08
It would allow for a higher draw of amperage, stressing and possibly over heating components that could result in damage, at the least poor function. If what your CO. is telling you is true.

Personally I have had many C.N.D. PIREPS that I could not duplicate and suspect were a result of non standard headsets in use.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Feb 2012, 07:34
You might want to do a bit of research, checking my notes from when we cleared the Bose-X at work, they show a microphone impedance of 220-2200 Ohms, and the only common headset within your 50-150 limit as the DC10-13 at 50 Ohms. 50-150 seems increadibly narrow and would exclude the vast majority of headsets, probably unnecessarily.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you our report - it might help since I think that we probably jumped through rather more hoops clearing the Bose (due to a very odd aeroplane with an erratic and utterly nonstandard intercom system) than just about anybody else ever would.

G