PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle not a job

soIL
24th Feb 2012, 21:56
Hello I am 21 and from southern Illinois. I have wanted to be a aerial applicator for idk how long now but I just dont know where to start bc there are so many different choices to go with. I have never flown before but that will not stop me from chasing this dream. I acquired a job at Wilbur and Ellis in North Dakota loading planes. I have my operators license and HazMat(use to be a private applicator, but on the ground). Considering my situation, what would some of you say that I do??

Any info will be great!!:ok:

aerobat77
24th Feb 2012, 22:36
first- be careful. you may get a lot of hints from many users claiming being experienced pilots here , but they catch the same dream you catch -never worked in this business , its an open forum here !

its your decision .

when it comes to the "dream" : sitting first time in a small aircraft you will say its a dream, doing the studies for commercial pilot you may say its a nightmare, searching the first job the same, being the first copilot , far away from home and your girlfriend the same, after years and making same career you may start to like it.

somehow it seems the dream for being the profession you want be be is over in novadays, even when the called "dreamcatcher" will start to tell you different stories !

cheers !

NuName
25th Feb 2012, 03:34
Whatever the different choices the common denominator will always be the ability to fly. Get yourself on this track and over time you will meet many folks who have various levels of experience and knowledge, the focus of your dreams may change over time but you will always need the basic pilot skills that are the same no matter what area of aviation you finaly choose.

Pace
25th Feb 2012, 07:34
The dream is an interesting point and explains why the lower levels of aviation are so poorly paid and also why the Weaver thread appeared.
As a Captain flying a bottom of the pile business jet I am often approached by young pilots desperate to get right seat experience.

This is more the case now where we have such a hard economic situation and are at the mercy of regulators who keep loading more and more costs to the occupation of being a pilot.

With the correct licences but no jet turbine or even multi hours these young pilots cannot afford to get the right hours and are not attractive to employers because they dont have the right hours on the right type.

Hence the desperation to get into aviation! The prepared to fly for nothing mentality which does us no good and the breeding ground for the Weavers of this world to set up ferry companies etc of their own without the knowledge, experience and abilities so they can fly the right types and live the dream.

Pace

DX Wombat
25th Feb 2012, 10:31
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an aerial applicator? I assume IDK is a firm of some sort.

NuName
25th Feb 2012, 11:12
"what is an aerial applicator"

I guess it is an upmarket name for a crop sprayer, if not maybe a television reception technician ;).

PD210
25th Feb 2012, 18:02
An aerial applicator has got me too. Although I have a terrible feeling he means "I don't know" when he uses idk. What is it with people theses days and their casual use of 'text speak' and the laziness to write all the words down properly. Next thing you know, they will be using it in their CV cover letters.

Super Cecil
25th Feb 2012, 21:03
An Aerial Applicator is what they call an AG pilot or as you uninformed ignorant types call a crop duster. Best talk to the people your working with about gaining a seat. While your working loading aircraft get as much tailwheel time as you can get.

jackx123
28th Feb 2012, 14:56
super cecil i thing you mean Aghhh pilot :E

AA717driver
2nd Mar 2012, 18:53
First off, stop posting on a professional pilot's forum using "text talk". You're trying to get started in the aviation BUSINESS, not 'hook up' with some chick.

Since you're in the U.S., try propilotworld.com. Lots of great info and pros to point you in the right direction. A few ag pilots hang out there, too.

You'll still get slapped around for talking like a 13 year old but you'll learn something.

Now, if you want to learn about the international aviation business, you came to the right place. ;)

TC

Runon
5th Mar 2012, 19:01
Don't worry buddy, these guys are just joking about using "IDK". We all realize we are on PPRuNe, and we all have a great sense of humor. I think you only need encouragement to keep going. If chem farting is what you want to do - good job, you're doing what you need to. I'm in a similar situation as you, but I kept a higher paying job while getting my hours/ratings - helicopters are EXPENSIVE!. Do what you have to for the money to get your ratings/endorsements (or if they offer to pay for your training, go for it, but always ask "why is my company doing me this favor"). Above all though, be honest and open to your boss about what you want. And get "gameplans" in writing if you can
(one more insider tip if it applies - enjoy life, but take it easy on the booze)
Best of luck