PDA

View Full Version : PPL books for progressing to ATPL theory

bjarvi1
24th Feb 2012, 18:48
Hi,

I passed my Class 1 medical recently, so I now know that I am definitely going to be undertaking modular training towards my fATPL. I am looking at getting some of the PPL theory done before I start PPL training so I am ready to go solo when I have enough experience.

My question is, which PPL books would be the best for giving a good grounding for progressing on to ATPL theory at a later date? I am looking at doing ATPL theory distance learning with OAA so would the Oxford PPL books be recommended, or would the Thom books be good enough?

Thank you for your help in advance.

24th Feb 2012, 21:01
The best PPL course I've ever read:

Lilienthal - PPL Exam preparation (http://lilienthal.institut-mermoz.com/DLP5_offline/dlp/default2.htm)

Comprehensive, understandable, and thorough.
And it's free!

Whirlygig
26th Feb 2012, 19:32
Given you're pre-PPL and going for the full monty, I'd recommend you get yourself prepared for the dryness of the ATPL theory and acquaint yourself with the Trevor Thom books :}

bjarvi1
27th Feb 2012, 15:33
Thanks for the replies. I already have the Trevor Thom Flying Training book, and I like the style that the information is put in, so I think I will go for his books as it doesn't look like the OAA books are worth the extra £60.

truckflyer
27th Feb 2012, 19:25
Only the Oxford books, their PPL books are way above the required standard for PPL, and will give you a good basis for your future ATPL's. The other books are pretty poor with that regards.

Mr Fly
28th Feb 2012, 07:34
agreed! Oxford PPL books contain more info than needed for ATPL. Now studying for my ATP from crappy bristol books I found out that PPL books, in some cases, contain more useful info (for the exams) than bristol..