PDA

View Full Version : SYD - Transit Security

reynoldsno1
23rd Feb 2012, 21:56
Over the past 4 years mrsr1 and I have transitted Sydney Intl some 10 times enroute from NZ to Thailand and back. Transit passengers have to go through another bag and body check, and there is also a 'random' 'explosives' check after the normal security. EVERY time, mrsr1 has been taken aside for the extra 'random' check. It pisses her off no end.

She is a NZ citizen of Thai birth, in her mid-50's - very petite and always demurely dressed. It seems obvious she fits a profile, and this check is most certainly NOT random... Anyone got any ideas?

vctenderness
24th Feb 2012, 09:02
Dress her up in a Burkha with a package with wires poking out and BOMB written on it and she will be waved straight through.....well she would be in the Uk!!

ExXB
24th Feb 2012, 09:34
Over the past 4 years mrsr1 and I have transitted Sydney Intl some 10 times enroute from NZ to Thailand and back. Transit passengers have to go through another bag and body check, and there is also a 'random' 'explosives' check after the normal security. EVERY time, mrsr1 has been taken aside for the extra 'random' check. It pisses her off no end.

She is a NZ citizen of Thai birth, in her mid-50's - very petite and always demurely dressed. It seems obvious she fits a profile, and this check is most certainly NOT random... Anyone got any ideas?

Are you sure the check is just for explosives? They could be also looking for illegal drugs. Mrs. might fit the profile of a drug mule ...

Anansis
24th Feb 2012, 11:19
In my personal experience, these 'random' checks are anything but random.

A few years ago I took a series of internal flights in the USA. I was a member of Qatar Airways frequent flier programme at the time. Flights with US Airways allowed me to collect Qmiles so I'd try to fly with them whenever possible.

Every time I arrived at an airport, check in staff would be happy and friendly until I produced my Qmiles card. "Qatar? Um... isn't that a Middle Eastern airline!?" Lo and behold, once I reached security I'd be 'randomly' singled out for additional screening! Curiously I was never singled out when I wasn't collecting Qmiles...

Whether they admit it or not, security agents profile people and target those who they perceive to be higher risk.

Di_Vosh
24th Feb 2012, 23:03

LOL! Have to agree.

I have a Columbian friend with whom I used to work. EVERY TIME he flies internationally he knows he'll be searched 'thoroughly' at customs on arrival as he's travelling on a Columbian passport.

OverRun
26th Feb 2012, 00:24
My guess is not random - high risk profile - drug mule.

ross_M
26th Feb 2012, 05:23

Reminds me of the ICE between Zurich and Stuttgart. Every time at the border the German / Swiss cops walk the train and passport control and / or baggage search every non-White person. I'm not sure if they even bother to advertise it as a "random" check. I think profiling is tolerated (encouraged?) a lot more in continental Europe than most other places.

reynoldsno1
26th Feb 2012, 23:43
Tks guys, I'll let her know she looks like a drug smuggler tonight, and then go get a takeaway for dinner ....

OverRun
27th Feb 2012, 01:48
It's not personal. Based on the information you posted, she has ticked a couple of boxes. There are a couple more things which you didn't mention, and I won't mention in a public forum, but a reasonable guess at the likely answer means she'll tick them as well. That's enough.