PDA

View Full Version : BIN files??

Cornish Jack
23rd Feb 2012, 18:22
Recently bought a media player (Ipod clone??) I can turn it on and play the ready installed music but there are no useful written instructions with it. The included disc (presumably the manual) contains only one file which is titled as follows - CBD_18-2_Apple4(menu)_HD2734_7735B-3_0922_01 and the file type is BIN. Theoretically, this can be burned to CD so that it becomes readable but, so far, nothing seems to work. My Nero installation won't initialise and I can't uninstall it to install a fresh copy. I have downloaded two software programs which supposedly will 'unpack' it to my hard drive but neither do anything useful.
Can anyone suggest any workarounds to 'decode' this file, please?
TIA

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2012, 19:18
BIN files can be many things. Early Mpg1 video files, disk images, binary dump files or simple help files
In this case I think you'll find its the firmware for the media player. If you unwrap it you'll probably get a string of gibberish
My guess is its actually an Apple firmware rippoff. If you Google the early part of the file name, all you get are two Chinese forums which - appear - to be discussing hacking media players with Apple bootleg software (though I'm happy to be corrected on that)

Try another tack. Whats the make / model of the device according to the paperwork, and what markings does it have on the makers plate on the device?

Spurlash2
23rd Feb 2012, 19:59
BIN it and move on. As long as you can load media files and play them back, who needs instructions?

Rule No 1: Cuff it.
Rule No 2: If all else fails, read the instructions:)

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2012, 20:06
probably aren't any instructions - these things tend to come packed without any.
With luck its findable on the interenet

Cornish Jack
23rd Feb 2012, 20:07
Thank you, Milo.
I reckon you're right about the rip-off! Not an identifying mark anywhere!! The 'Chinglish' printed 'instructions' don't include any maker's info either. Think I shall have to write this one off to experience:*

Spitoon
23rd Feb 2012, 20:13
If it's an iPod clone try installing iTunes and see if it will sync. Don't know how much checking of the hardware iTunes does but it doesn't cost anything so it's worth a try.

One other thought - have you plugged it in to the computer to see if it's recognised in Windows Explorer. If it is, maybe you can just drag files onto the device as if it were a HDD.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2012, 20:21
Good idea, and thanls for reminding me
I had to sort one out a little while ago and that was instantly recognised by Windows Media Player as a device, and in Windows Explorer it simply appeared as a drive so you could drag / drop to it
Try WMP and iTunes and see if its "found"

that one came completely instructionless as well

mixture
23rd Feb 2012, 22:17
CBD_18-2_Apple4(menu)_HD2734_7735B-3_0922_01 and the file type is BIN.

Sounds like its a file created by StuffIT Expander. A compression tool which used to be commonly found on Macs (now replaced by more PC friendly zip functionality in the GUI).

Cornish Jack
25th Feb 2012, 18:34
Thanks again, chaps. Yes it did get recognised by XP ... on the second try!! Cam use it as a hard drive and load music and playback in WMP. The function selectors seem to have no identifiable logic so I think it will be strictly a music storage device operated via the 'pooter.