View Full Version : Thai Airways A300-600 (A6)

Arthur Turbo
23rd Feb 2012, 03:34
Hello Everybody!

This is my first post on this board. I am not a pilot, I travel a lot but have a rather strong fear of flying. Because of this i like to read a lot about airtravel/technologies/airlines etc.

In 2 days i will be flying the short distance Phuket-Bangkok on the Airbus A300-600 (A6) and have just read online that Thai are in the process of removing these planes from their fleet entirely. This fact, combined with the relatively old age of these planes, got me a little worried about the safety!

Does anyone here have experience about these airplanes and could perhaps inform me a little about their safety..?

Thank you so much! It is greatly appreciated..

ZFT
23rd Feb 2012, 05:21
These aircraft are not that old. The newest is only 14 years with the remaining fleet average around 17 years.

Was on one recently on a Bangkok to Singapore sector and they really aren't that bad. Antiquated IFE and seating of course, but for the short sector you are on, not an issue I would have thought.

TomU
23rd Feb 2012, 05:46
I fly on them regularly (I'm Chiang Mai based)
You have no worries at all.
Technically they are very sound aircraft. Getting a bit scruffy in the trim maybe!
Enjoy your flight.
(No connection or interest in TG)

Thai Pom
23rd Feb 2012, 06:11
I am with the two comments above, interior a bit shaggy but technically OK

thrustpig
23rd Feb 2012, 14:11
No offence to thai or any other current 306 operation, but if you want to check the statistics, you might find the A300-600 is the most crashed aircraft in its class, but then again the most dangerous part of air travel can be the car ride to the airport!!!

Metro man
23rd Feb 2012, 21:53
Possibly because most major airlines no longer operate A300 family aircraft and the figures are distorted by dodgy third level companies. Look instead at the accident rate for the type when operated by companies such as FEDEX, there should be an improvement.

ZFT
24th Feb 2012, 03:46
Possibly because most major airlines no longer operate A300 family aircraft and the figures are distorted by dodgy third level companies

That's a bit harsh. Most of the incidents were with 'major' airlines and most of course had very little to do with the airframe type.