PDA

View Full Version : Should Air New Zealand allow this?

framer
23rd Feb 2012, 02:09
After reading the thread on the Air North Braz accident in 2010 I thought I'd ask who will take responsibility if this kind of accident happens at Eagle.

Investigation: AO-2010-019 - Loss of control - Embraer S.A. EMB-120ER Brasilia, VH-ANB, Darwin Airport, Northern Territory, 22 March 2010 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2010/aair/ao-2010-019.aspx)

Eagle are doing the same thing every day of the year. I imagine Eagle and/or Air NZ management have looked at a simulator and decided it is too expensive. My gut feeling is that it would be worth every cent to mitigate against losing an aircraft and crew.
Your thoughts........

davys747
23rd Feb 2012, 02:53
I understand that Eagle is getting a Sim?

Aerozepplin
23rd Feb 2012, 03:05
There have been incidents in aircraft where the company doesn’t have a sim that wouldn’t have happened if training was done in one. Example: a throttle rolls back due to an incorrect friction system component, but the crew don’t recognise it as such because they’re so used to seeing one lever back during engine failure simulations.

chimbu warrior
23rd Feb 2012, 05:12
I understand that Eagle is getting a Sim?

Simulators are expensive to acquire and operate, particularly for operators with a comparatively small fleet, however that should not preclude [I]using[I] a simulator to carry out these critical manoeuvers, particularly on an initial endorsement.

Yes, Aussie and NZ operators are typically a long way from the nearest sim, and yes, a simple renewal takes at least 3 pilots out of the system for about a week (with travel). Yes, the travel and accommodation costs are high........

.........but the alternative cost is TOO HIGH.

framer
23rd Feb 2012, 07:06
Would it be fair to say that Air NZ should foot the bill considering Eagle is just a feeder to the mainline flights and wholly owned?