View Full Version : MAM vs ALTARA vs VIRGIN

carguard
23rd Feb 2012, 01:20
hey ,
so i have noticed that most people have applied for one or more of these airlines, and just wanted to clarify a few things, and make some comparisons.....feel free to add more:

my 1st choice : 1 virgin, 2 mam(qantas) 3 jetstar

think mam is 35 a hour all the time and jq is same when flying and virgin is 38k a year.

travel benefits are important, and not to sure on this think virgin unlimited, mam 2 discounted ones and jq not sure.
also
mam i heard may be away for 7 weeks at a time , is this true?

they are all pretty much full time i mean like 15 to 20 days a month.

destinations: ;) pearsonally i want as many nightstops as possible.

so assuming u can choose which airline to work 4, which one would u choose and y?
correct me if im wrong

Jecui
23rd Feb 2012, 06:26
With MAM, you would be away 7 weeks for training in Sydney, if you lived in another base.

Your pay might be more with MAM, but Virgin do pay holiday/sick pay and MAM do not.

I don't think Jetstar employees get that many overnights from what I've been told. With MAM, prepare to be away from home while flying a lot. It would probably depend on your base, as well as vary from roster to roster, but I have barely been home since I started flying at the start of this month and this is the case for most people in my ground school too.

Sydneysider88
23rd Feb 2012, 06:34
For me it has to be Virgin, its full time, permanent etc. The companies values and way of going fit me to a T, and their whole process has been great so far. Everyone I know who works for them love their job and cannot speak highly enough of the company, and opportunities. I like the way theyre going with the company overall.

The benefits dont matter to me at all and is totally not important. I want a career path with a vibrant company and somewhere where i can work hard and have fun and a work/life balance however that works, and a permanent full time position is what im ideally looking for, and Virgin can give me that.
(plus their uniform is great ;) )

Of course with any job there's pros and cons, but to me, its what you make of it :) Ive never been unhappy in any job i guess, no matter how tiring or hard it is, and working with people and a team is the main thing for me.

I have MAM as backup hopefully if Virgin falls through.

Rocky181
3rd Mar 2012, 10:11
Once you fly with MAM and as they are recruiting for domestic, is it difficult to get international routes?