PDA

View Full Version : IE9 upgrade and unable to remove Google homepage

Krystal n chips
22nd Feb 2012, 06:45
Yesterday, I shut down in the morning and booted up again in the evening.

When I did so, I found a completely different homepage. Right clicked on the IE icon on the lower taskbar and found Google...clicked on Google and entered various sites to find these still remembered me....so far, so reasonably good.

Note also that the upper toolbars have vanished but I have now restored these although the "Back" buttons have change in size and seem selective as to when they actually function.

Did some delving around on the PC and find that IE9 has been dowloaded for me....I did not make this choice...

However, when I start up, I now get the " i Google" homepage. I searched the programmes and clicked on " uninstall"...which it duly did.....but when I start up...the Google home page is still there !!.....any ideas as to why this should be and how I can remove the damn thng please.

Also,the "new and improved" IE seems not to be...thus, if I change my browser to say Firefox, will this change have any effect on my settings and. from my non techie perspective, how easy is it to accomplish...successfully please.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2012, 07:33
The default page for any version of IE is MSN, not Google so something else has caused that. If you want to change it, simply go start > control panel > internet options > general > homepage and then type in the address of what you want.
If its Google, then use h ttp://www.google.com
At the moment its probably set to http://www.google.com/ig-randomcharacterstring

And no - it wont affect other browsers

green granite
22nd Feb 2012, 07:36
Just download and install FireFox and import your favourites from IE, make sure you study all the options offered and untick anything you don't want such as yahoo search box or whatever it's called.

As for I-google home page problem I suggest you download and run CC cleaner in the registry clean mode. I'm assuming you've tried resetting your home page from the 'tools>options' menu. If you run it in the 'cleaner mode' use the cookie option in options so as not to delete cookies from sites you auto-log into.

Edit Milo posted as I was typing

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2012, 08:24
I did not make this choice...Oh yes you did. You just don't know or haven't learnt more likely how to control what your pc does. There is a big difference.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2012, 09:23
Actually, IE9 is now a mandatory upgrade on Vista / Win7 - it now counts as one of the "important" ones which install automatically.
Without it, a lot of future security upgrades won't isntall

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2012, 10:16
No it isn't. Updates set to notify, IE9 set to hide update. IE9 banished to the 4th circle of hell where alll MS browsers belong.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2012, 11:01
OK, if you want to beat the system you can, but from M$'s point of view ifs mandatory as its a security issue

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2012, 11:25
Understand, however, since the options I describe are provided by Microsoft for me to manage my pc as I see fit, it's categorically not 'beating the system', it's making an informed choice based on my personal preferences with the tools available and that is the point I was making in the first place to K&C.

When he or she says I didn't choose this, what is actually being said is I don't understand the choices before me, but I don't like the outcome. That is not the same thing as having something imposed upon one.

Krystal n chips
22nd Feb 2012, 11:50
Milo and Green granite....

Many thanks for the advice.:ok:. I now have my homepage as it was prior to the upgrade, however, when I click on Google, it still brings up the "i Google" site, the one with all the info on. not the plain site as it where. I run Win 7 by the way.

Interestingly, Norton has flagged up two "unauthorised access" medium level alerts since the download / i Google and the info. on the page shows Manchester, where I used to live, but not now.

Sprogget Here's an insight for you. When I am uncertain or wish to know about something, I ask those who do..and this includes within my life long occupation as an engineer... endex.

I freely admit that I am not wholly conversant with IT or PC's but neither am I a complete novice. As Milo said, as indeed did I, the upgrade was done by MS, not me. So please, save the pithy comments for JB and lets use this forum for the serious intent and information it can provide. And my gender is male by the way.

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2012, 12:07
Male? I'll take you at your word. I always thought of you as an old woman!:}

Doesn't change the fact that the options are there for you to include or exclude updates as you see fit and in not understanding that, you made an erroneous complaint I.e I did not choose this, whereas that choice always existed for you. A policeman would not accept the excuse of not knowing you shouldn't rob a bank because no one had provided you with a copy of the statute prohibiting it. Your ignorance is not MS's fault however you may try to dress it up.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Feb 2012, 13:29
Sprogget
You have the option of driving your car with flat tyres, or no with oil or water in the engine. You could even turn off the warning lights by pulling the fuses. But only an idiot would do it
Disabling updates, and blacklisting IE9 is a similar kind of act, unless you have a very specific reason for doing so: and very few do have a valid reason. IE9 is much more secure, is quicker, and the availability of future updates requires its presence.

If you want to know what I regard as a "specific reason" for not installing it, I'd have to suggest the UK Dept of Work and Pensions, some of whose databases have not been rewritten to be compatible with anything newer than IE6. Thats a very specific reason - though in my view it not really a valid reason, its just poor management.

Sprogget
22nd Feb 2012, 15:03
I don't want to know & I didn't ask. I'm also less than delighted to be equated with an idiot when I have very specific reasons for not wanting IEx on my machines, although I am capable of keeping those reasons to myself until asked.

All of which is besides the point, which once more for the cheap seats was that an implication was advanced that an update had been foisted on Missus K&C against their will when that is in fact not the case at all.

The rights & wrongs of accepting MS updates are an entirely separate matter for those who care about such things.

BlueWolf
23rd Feb 2012, 08:54
Wrestling with uninstalling IE9 on the other machine even as we speak. Installed itself without prior notification. Must be the most irritatingly childish abomination from MS yet, apart from Vista / Windows 7 themselves.

Looks and behaves like Google Chrome, and if I wanted that I'd be bloody well using it!

And I don't care how much better Firefox is supposed to be, I just don't like it.

Why can't Microsoft just bloody well leave things alone?? :mad:

BlueWolf
23rd Feb 2012, 09:07
Done it. Sorry, but that was a horrible experience. I haven't felt so violated by a Windows "update" :confused::yuk: since....I can't remember, but when Microsoft decided that all their new programs and operating systems should look like they were designed in crayon by retarded 3-year-olds, for retarded 3-year-olds.

XP was good. Why did they have to piss about with it? Vista was crap and 7 is worse.
Classic view is good. Why did we need the retarded child view?

Why can't they just leave stuff alone?? :{

24Carrot
23rd Feb 2012, 09:22
Why can't they just leave stuff alone??:{

'cos they only get paid when you buy a new operating system.:{

green granite
23rd Feb 2012, 09:37
Do I get the impression you're not a happy bunny Mr Wolf. :)

OFSO
23rd Feb 2012, 10:01
When asked* whether you want to upgrade to the latest version of anything, stop and ask yourself: AM I HAPPY WITH THE WAY THINGS ARE NOW ?

If the answer is 'yes', don't upgrade, no matter how tempting.

*And always tick the "ask me first before......" box in any software.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2012, 10:47
why the hatred for IE9? Its quicker and more secure. And its simple enough to put the old menu back.
And for those who hate the WIndows Vista / 7 layout, wiat til you see IE8.
No start button. Just a series of windows....

BlueWolf
23rd Feb 2012, 19:36
I'm alright now thank you Mr GG ;)

My issue with IE9 is its appearance and layout and the lack of controls. I like IE8. I like buttons. I like what I have got used to using. I like the way the controls and search bars make sense. I like the little down arrow next to the forward and back buttons. I don't care that I lose a whole centimetre of screen to accomodate my controls and buttons; they give me a sense of familiarity and an anchor point amidst the churning seas of the Interweb.

And my connection here is so slow anyway that a slighty faster browser doesn't make any real difference.

Spurlash2
23rd Feb 2012, 19:51
BW

I like buttons. I like what I have got used to using. I like the way the controls and search bars make sense. I like the little down arrow next to the forward and back buttons. I don't care that I lose a whole centimetre of screen to accomodate my controls and buttons; they give me a sense of familiarity and an anchor point amidst the churning seas of the Interweb.

IE9 does all of that.

I have to say, though, that IE10, (coming soon to a Beta release near you) as the Royal Marines would say; is, "hoofin" :)

green granite
23rd Feb 2012, 20:11
Interestingly IE10 wont run on Vista according to Microsoft.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Feb 2012, 20:17
Bluewolf
all you have to do is right click the tool bar, and then enable the menu bar, favorites bar, and command bar and it all comes back
no need to uninstall anything