PDA

View Full Version : AH-64 forced landing

g-mady
22nd Feb 2012, 06:33
I hear an Apache was forced to land in east Anglia last night after hitting some wires....
anyone know if all were ok? Any serious damage?

MADY

espresso drinker
22nd Feb 2012, 07:30
Breaking News: Apache crash lands in field - News - East Anglian Daily Times (http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/breaking_news_apache_crash_lands_in_field_1_1216283)

Sounds like all the crew were okay. I heard it was Prince Harry at the controls :E

helihub
22nd Feb 2012, 10:04
and very similar BBC report at

BBC News - Army helicopter makes emergency landing in Suffolk (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-17123994)

gsa
22nd Feb 2012, 14:38
I heard it was Prince Harry at the controls

A mischevous comment like that means it will be the "truth" and be in the gutter press shortly WELL DONE!

Evanelpus
22nd Feb 2012, 15:19
A mischevous comment like that means it will be the "truth" and be in the gutter press shortly WELL DONE!

Lighten up man! Didn't you notice the :E Besides which the link clearly said that Harry wasn't involved.

Max Contingency
22nd Feb 2012, 15:44
Interesting use of terminology here. Eyewitness describes seeing a blue flash and the aircraft as going round a couple of times before landing. MOD describes it as a precautionary landing. G-Mady has it as a forced landing. The BBC have it as an emergency landing and the East Anglian Times has it as a crash landing.

TRC
22nd Feb 2012, 15:51
No mention of the nearby hospital or the children that were playing there only 24 hours before the event..

KING6024
22nd Feb 2012, 15:55
Aircraft took the earth wire out on the top of a 132kva overhead wire system,which came down and shorted out the live wires.Pictures on local news and a/c looks undamaged.Apparantly hoping to fly a/c back to base after safety checks.

Colin

Mungo5
23rd Feb 2012, 00:23
Someone's Mess bill is going to be pretty large for the next few months..

23rd Feb 2012, 06:32
Everyone in the military is taught to cross wires at the pylons to avoid exactly this problem - the earth wire is often very difficult to see!

206 jock
23rd Feb 2012, 08:09
Everyone in the military is taught to cross wires at the pylons to avoid exactly this problem - the earth wire is often very difficult to see!

Really? If only the civilian world was so clever as those military boys.

Oh wait, hang on....my instructor taught me that too! And he wasn't ever in the military! How can that be? I'm confused.

:ugh:

SilsoeSid
23rd Feb 2012, 08:29
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Crab said " Everyone in the military is...".
He did not say "Only the military are..."

206cock, get away from your small minded envious ways, because you may have then read that perhaps crab was hinting that somebody was doing something they have been taught not to !! :ugh:

Oh wait, hang on....my instructor taught me that too! And he wasn't ever in the military! How can that be? I'm confused.

Ask yourself the question...'Did my instructor(s) teach themselves ?' ;)

OvertHawk
23rd Feb 2012, 11:51
206 - as Silsoe says - wind your neck in!

This was a military accident therefore Crab is quite right (can't believe i said that ;-) to point out that military pilots are taught in a particular way.

end-of

:ugh:

OH

hihover
23rd Feb 2012, 19:51
206, now I'm confused. Under what circumstances would your civvy instructor teach you to cross wires? Should you not be 500 feet above the pylon, at which point it doesn't matter?

No need to get defensive here, it's a genuine question.

Tam

206 jock
24th Feb 2012, 06:32
HH,

Sometimes, I need to land and take off in accordance with standard aviation practice, into private sites (it's why I fly a helicopter). There are lots of power lines in the South East of England. Less confused now?

SS,

Reading your petulant rant, I'm confused as to why I would be envious. Just asking, as they say.

rakker
24th Feb 2012, 07:31
My instructor told me to avoid hitting the wires when crossing them. They cause a lot of dammage to the ego.:8 It did not matter if you were flying a military helicopter or a civilian one. Good flight preperation is the way to go if you want to avoid these unfortunate moments. Cheers.

hihover
24th Feb 2012, 09:02
206, as I tried to point out to you, it was a genuine question. No need for the smart-arse response.

Tam

Fly_For_Fun
24th Feb 2012, 15:20
Well there appears to be one less set of wires in the SE now, and a jolly good job too.
going round a couple of times before landing. MOD describes it as a precautionary landing. G-Mady has it as a forced landing. The BBC have it as an emergency landing and the East Anglian Times has it as a crash landing. At least they all agree he landed and that is a jolly good thing too.

"How can you soar like an Eagle when surrounded by Turkeys?" :ok: