PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belt Sign AA064

mafoo
21st Feb 2012, 09:14
Hi All.

Just a random question.

Flew from JFK last night to ZRH on AA064. The seat belt sign wasn't turned off for the entire flight. Despite a couple of bumps along the way, the flight was smooth. We still got up and used the bathrooms etc. I asked at one point and the crew member was surprised it was on but said "just be careful".

Would there have been any reason for it to have been on the entire flight? As soon as we landed it was turned off.

Thought it was a bit odd and my curiousity has got the better of me.

Johnny F@rt Pants
21st Feb 2012, 09:25
Guessing, perhaps the litigation culture in the USA:confused:. If you're up and about and the seat-belt sign is on, and you get injured due to an unexpected turbulence encounter then it's your fault, if the seat belt sign is off then it's not.

Purely a guess though.

TightSlot
21st Feb 2012, 11:34
They may have forgotten to turn it off :O

mafoo
21st Feb 2012, 14:28
I thought they may have forgot to turn it off but I think forgetting or 7.5 hours is unlikely :/

Hotel Tango
21st Feb 2012, 14:51
This subject does the rounds now and again. A few weeks ago I flew DELTA (not by choice but due to the Air France industrial action). Although the belt sign didn't stay on it certainly came on and off like a yo-yo at the slightest little bump, with of course the accompanying PA announcement to wake everyone up! In contrast, returning with KLM they remained off during the entire cruise. Although the turbulence we encountered was light, most of it was a lot more bumpier than anything we encountered on the Delta flight. The answer is indeed as JFP suggests: paranoia induced by the litigation culture in the USA.

mafoo
21st Feb 2012, 14:59
Cheers for the replies.

The litigation culture in the USA would make sense and it had crossed my mind. I do a lot of medium to long-haul flying and this was the first time I have ever been on a flight where the seat belt sign wasn't turned off for the whole flight. I just found it a little odd.

We barely had a bump for the whole flight.

givemewings
24th Feb 2012, 14:06
Could also have been a tech fault however if it was I'm sure the cabin crew would have been made aware of it. Believe it or not, pilots sometimes do forget they've left it on (particularly if coming/going on breaks and changing over)

Often a call asking how long they expect until it's clear will contain the background noise of the s/b sign switch being toggled to 'off'... ;)

Pontius Navigator
24th Feb 2012, 15:06
That's nothing. Did a 10 hour Business Class flight on Emirates and the seat belt sign was inoperative the whole time.

It was lit but no one paid the slightest notice of it. Just a waste of weight,:}