PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!

vip448-jamie martin
20th Feb 2012, 19:22
Hello,

I am 15 years old and need help in finding a path to take for my aviation career, i know theres an expensive way but is there any other wa i can do it?

SloppyJoe
21st Feb 2012, 04:14
Here is the cheapest way to start although if your not a cadet already you may be nearing the upper age limit.

Air Cadets - Flying scholarships (http://www.raf.mod.uk/aircadets/whatwedo/flyingscholarships.cfm)

Failing that gliding is a relatively inexpensive way to start also. Go get you gliding license.

Unfortunately there is no cheap way to get a commercial license which is what you will need to work. There may be sponsorship available when you are 18+ so keep your eyes open although the way things are going it is pretty unlikely.

Military is also an option, yes there have been cutbacks but they will always need some new pilots so if you fancy that although don't think of it as a stepping stone as it is not. Look into it, see what is required, think long and hard and maybe follow that route.

You are only 15 so no need for the Help!!!! thread just yet. The most important thing for you is to do well at GCSE (or whatever it is now and where you are) then A-Levels then a good degree in a field that interests you and has good job prospects. If you are worried about how to fund this, a huge number of people work in another field to pay for their training, far more sensible than getting huge loans you can't pay back.

If you do the above, which you certainly should, you have 8 years of studying to go. As soon as you can get a part time job, holiday job, whatever, try to save as much as you can. It is amazing what parents will do if they see you putting in the effort yourself, not saying they are in a position to lend you the money but if they see how much you want it then they will do what they can. If my son ever said hey dad I want to be a pilot can I borrow the money, the answer would be no. If he worked hard and saved then I would think differently.

Main thing, do well at school, uni and look at every option.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Feb 2012, 16:35
Organisations worth looking at:

- The Air League
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- British Women Pilots Association

All of these have websites and publish information on how to follow a flying career aimed at young people like yourself.

G

Halfwayback
22nd Feb 2012, 08:48
Jamie

Welcome to the Wannabee forums. I see my fellow Moderator above has given you some good leads as to where to look so I will close the thread. Just drop me a PM if you have further questions!

HWB