PDA

View Full Version : Monarch baggage ??

ceeb
20th Feb 2012, 18:44
I couldn't quite get my head round the ZB booking form on a recent booking (and I've used them more than 100 times) it stated that if you wanted to check 2 bags into the hold (per passenger for example) then the combined weight of the bags was 20KG, not 20kg each even though I am paying the £15.99 each way additional cost.

I lost my vantage Gold this year as I didn't do the 16 flights with them last year so was just trying to book in 3 x 20KG cases for 2 people which I was prepared to pay for.

I know they have a drop down box to increase the weight of your checked in bags but this is very expensive. If you wanted to check a 30KG case in its over £90. thing is we don't want 2 x 30kg bags we want 3 x 20kg bags, but it seems that can't be done.

Monarch have confirmed to me by email that this is the case. That is a shame because the next flight I take with Monarch will be the last I book with them because they won't even allow me to pay them to take the cases we need.

caaardiff
20th Feb 2012, 18:54
Same with Thomson, Thomas Cook and most airlines. You pay for the number of bags you want and get 20kgs FREE. Anything over 20kgs you pay the excess charges (preboook or more expensive at the airport)

partyboy_uk
20th Feb 2012, 20:39
The 20kg allowance is Monarch's limit on the weight you are able to carry and that limit is per person (regardless of how many bags you pay for). There are limits as to how much passengers can carry.

Unfortunately, the airline has to set a limit and 20kg is theirs. It is simply not possible to allow everyone to take a limitless amount of weight in their baggage. Some Monarch flights travel as far as Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt and to allow excess weight to all those who would like to take it is simply not possible due to weight restrictions. Unfortunately, the aircraft wouldn't make the full journey without having to refuel with a full plane of passengers and this additional weight onboard.

Granted you were likely not traveling here but there has to be a defined limit across all flights to make it easy to understand the restrictions in place.

However, I will point out that it is possible to achieve your 60kg for 2 people by each having the max 20kg and the max 10kg each you are allowed in the cabin.

Same with Thomson, Thomas Cook and most airlines. You pay for the number of bags you want and get 20kgs FREE. Anything over 20kgs you pay the excess charges (preboook or more expensive at the airport)

caaardiff, I think you are confusing the 20kg that tour operators include as part of a package when you make a booking with them. Cosmos, Monarch's sister tour operator who use Monarch, does allow 20kg free of charge but it sounds to me like this was just a flight that was booked.

ceeb
21st Feb 2012, 13:59
I see your point Partyboy but we used to be able to take 32KG each under the Gold Vantage scheme, i.e 64kg between us. would like to do that again and happy to pay for three bags but it can't be done. The only way would be to up one of the bags to the max 32kg limit but that would cost £200.

I anly want to add 1no 20KG bag for £15.99 each way but can't do it

A2QFI
24th Feb 2012, 16:40
I think this just confirms your calculations

Monarch's current excess baggage rates are set out below:

Shorthaul flights - £7.50 (GBP) / €9,00 (EUR) per kg if pre booked online or £10.00 (GBP) / €12,00 (EUR) per kg if booked via our reservations centre or at the airport.
Longhaul flights - £15.00 (GBP) / €19.00 (EUR) or agreed equivalent in local currency per kg
Flights from USA/Dominican Republic/Maldives - $20 (USD) per kg
Note - Longhaul includes Egypt, Kenya, Banjul and Israel

ceeb
24th Feb 2012, 17:58
Yes, that is the long and short of it. Quite a hefty charge. one 20KG bag on a return trip £300 ouch!!

ExXB
24th Feb 2012, 22:50
Works out to £15 per kg. probably cheap compared to the cargo rate. A small shipment like this would incur the highest GCR, the minimum charge and likely assessed at a higher notional weight for low density cargo.

And unlike cargo you deliver the piece at one airport and pick it up at the next and you know it will likely travel on the same aircraft as you do. Big surcharges if you want cargo to move on specific flights and you still have to pick up & deliver to the cargo shed.

Excess baggage for small low density shipments is a bargain, compared to the other options.

ceeb
26th Feb 2012, 07:34
you say it may be cheaper than cargo (which I doubt) but the point i am making is the increase in charges.

LGW-FAO return February 1 extra 20kg case £31.98

to take the same case now would cost £300.00