PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ ref check, WTF?!!

DeltaT
20th Feb 2012, 10:00
FFS, check out the all encompassing, over powering, sign your life away powers you have to sign off on for the Air NZ reference check.
Especially check out:
The last paragraph!!
You are entitled to access and seek to correct information
Information being held indefinitely (i.e forever)

I declare that the information provided on this form and in the process of my application is true and accurate and provides a balanced and complete view of the details relevant to considering me for employment.

I understand that any incorrect, misleading or omitted information may disqualify me from appointment, or if already appointed that my employment may be terminated.

I request Resumé Check Limited to carry out the background verification, resumé verification and reference checking of my application. I consent to Resumé Check Limited being provided with this application, my resumé and any other relevant documents to enable it to carry out these checks. I consent to Resumé Check Limited providing my information to any third party for the sole purpose of carrying out the background verification, resumé verification and reference checking of my application.

Similarly, I consent to any third party providing Resumé Check Limited with information about me for the purposes of this application. I also consent to Resumé Check Limited disclosing all information that is obtained about me in respect of these checks to Air New Zealand.

I understand that if I have failed to supply all or some of the information requested in this application, or if I have failed to request Resumé Check Limited to verify any information about me, this may prejudice Air New Zealand's ability to assess my suitability for the position.

In accordance with the Privacy Act 1993, I understand that regardless of whether my application is successful or unsuccessful, Resumé Check Limited will hold the above information (together with my resumé and other supporting documents) indefinitely for the purposes of determining my suitability for any positions in the future. I am aware that I am entitled to access and seek to correct this personal information at Resumé Check, P O Box 99968, Newmarket, Auckland, Telephone: 0800 837439. I am also aware that this access to information excludes reference checks and any other evaluative or opinion material compiled by Resumé Check Limited for the purpose of assessing my suitability, eligibility and qualifications for employment.

I will not hold Resumé Check Limited liable for any loss or damage incurred or suffered by me arising out of this application process, which includes but is not limited to Resumé Check Limited conducting the background verification, resumé verification and reference checking of me.

Ejector
20th Feb 2012, 13:12
I bet that would be a nice little database to get your hands on !!!
:yuk:

haughtney1
20th Feb 2012, 13:24
With respect to holding the information indefinitely,
Principle 9 (http://privacy.org.nz/agency-not-to-keep-personal-information-for-longer-than-necessary-principle-nine/)

With respect to the storage of info and persons and companies liability,
Principle 5 (http://privacy.org.nz/storage-and-security-of-personal-information-principle-five/)

To me it seems that Air NZ's reference company are sailing pretty close to the wind.

waren9
20th Feb 2012, 20:24
indefinitely for the purposes of determining my suitability for any positions in the future would seem to be an attempt to get round principle 9. I guess you would have to inform them in writing that you had no further interest in applying again if you wanted to force them to delete your information. I doubt you could ever force them to delete their own notes on you.

Access to, and provision to "seek" correction to any material held on you is straight out of privacy legislation. It's a given.

DeltaT
21st Feb 2012, 07:42
Once you are in the company and have been reference checked, why would your history need checking all over again for future pilot positions within the company?
Do Air NZ pilots have access to time travel when they join and can alter the past?

27/09
21st Feb 2012, 08:17
WTF is Resume Check anyway? Some HR person (perhaps ex Air NZ) who's started a little earner for themselves? Are we able to do background checks on Resume Check to ensure they can be trusted with our details?

I have no problem with a known entity (e.g. CAA, prospective employer etc) doing background checks on me when I want to "do business with them" but I'm not so keen on an unknown third party outfit collecting data on me and then holding onto it for ever, especially when it's likely to be used for their own financial benefit.

I would be crossing out the last two paragraphs if I were presented a document such as this. I don't believe they can force you to agree to these conditions.

In my opinion the most they can rightfully expect from you as the agent for the employer is for you to allow them to access details about you and pass on these details to the employer. They have no right keep the data on you once they have passed it on nor compile their own dossier on you using that data.

BTW I have nothing to hide, I detest the principles involved here, Nazi Germany has nothing on these sorts of outfits.

waren9
21st Feb 2012, 08:47
Supply and demand fellas. Clearly they have plenty on the books wanting a job.

DeltaT
21st Feb 2012, 10:13
This has nothing to do with Supply and Demand.
If there were less pilots applying the company wouldn't care if you lie?

I totally understand and have no problems with having details verified etc, however the terms which are described are not something I would expect of a company to be held in high regard. Shame on you Air NZ. :=:=:=

DeltaT
21st Feb 2012, 10:34
Access to, and provision to "seek" correction to any material held on you is straight out of privacy legislation. It's a given.

What is your reference?
Its not whats here (http://privacy.org.nz/correction-of-personal-information-principle-seven/)

waren9
21st Feb 2012, 23:47
Yes it is. 1. (a). The very first thing you pointed to.:confused:

DeltaT
22nd Feb 2012, 11:07
ok, I took it to be only that part only applied, but it doesn't matter, the rest of the law is still applicable...

Upon council it has been clarified to me that they are unable to contract themselves out of what is in law regardless of what the terms are!!

FRQ Charlie Bravo
23rd Feb 2012, 05:43
Well. At least aviation's not as bad as Scientology with it's billion-year contracts signed by 8-year-olds!

Yay Aviation, boo Scientology!

FRQ CB