PDA

View Full Version : Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations

Pages : [1] 2

Finningley Boy
19th Feb 2012, 12:59
Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Armed Forces to mount spectacular tribute for Queen's Diamond Jubilee (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/ArmedForcesToMountSpectacularTributeForQueensDiamondJubilee. htm)

It's a shame that a similar military spectacle of Silver Jubilee proportions can't be laid on.:(

FB:)

pr00ne
19th Feb 2012, 13:10
No it isnt...

Melchett01
19th Feb 2012, 13:11
Lets hope the fly past is a bit less 'blink and you miss it' than the one we did for the wedding last year. :sad:

BEagle
19th Feb 2012, 14:20
It would be interesting to see a table comparing the numbers of aircraft, numbers of squadrons, numbers of airfields and number of personnel serving in the regular RAF at the time of the Queen's coronation, Silver Jubilee, Golden Jubilee and Diamond Jubilee....

The 1953 Coronation Review at Odiham included a flypast by 641 aircraft and a static display of a further 318. Perhaps the Diamond Jubilee flypast might run to the BBMF, Reds and 4 TypHoons? But that's probably about all...:uhoh:

TheWizard
19th Feb 2012, 14:29
You can go back 10 years here
Defence Analytical Services and Advice: TSP 1 (http://www.dasa.mod.uk/applications/newWeb/www/index.php?page=67&pubType=1&thiscontent=30&date=2009-07-17)

and see the difference. I would imagine going back any further would be a sobering prospect!! :uhoh:

Wensleydale
19th Feb 2012, 15:04
I graduated from OCTU Henlow on Silver Jubillee day (2 Jun 1977)! It was rumoured that we may get a Royal for the parade, but we were unlucky. A couple of weeks later I was at the Finningley review - the OCTU exhibit in the hangar had an 8ft close-up photograph of me on the parade at the entrance. My career went downhill ever since!

CoffmanStarter
19th Feb 2012, 15:08
As BEagle points out ... RAF Odiam in 1953 must have been an impressive sight for HRH :{

RAF Royal Review 15th July 1953 (http://daveg4otu.tripod.com/nos10.html)

Coff.

Finningley Boy
20th Feb 2012, 10:02
No it isnt...

Surely pr00ne, you must have bristled with pride at a show like the Silver Jubilee review of the R.A.F. or the B.O.B. 50th Anniversary Flypast, you took part possibly?:confused:

Wycombe
20th Feb 2012, 10:58
Quote from the link above:

An impressive, tri-Service flypast of current and historic aircraft will conclude the celebrations.

Bearing in mind this is going to be in Windsor, should be fun if Heathrow's on easterlies :hmm:

mikip
20th Feb 2012, 13:46
Are there enough armed forces left to mount a spectacular dislplay?

teeteringhead
20th Feb 2012, 14:01
And the Odiham/Coronation Review and Flypast - as BEags correctly states: 641 flying and 318 static - only used UK based aircraft - none from Germany or further afield. :eek:

WillDAQ
20th Feb 2012, 14:14
Are there enough armed forces left to mount a spectacular dislplay?

That depends if they're allowed to go weapons hot...

diginagain
20th Feb 2012, 14:28
Are there enough armed forces left to mount a spectacular dislplay? Might just be able to rustle-up a Joint Force Gym-queen Display...........

zedder
20th Feb 2012, 16:20
If they bring the Gay Pride day forward compared to last year (2nd Jul 11) they could put on a thoroughly queentastic event!

I wonder if I am due any E&D training before my exit date?

Warmtoast
20th Feb 2012, 16:31
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/CompositionoftheFly-past.jpg

Details of Queen's Coronation Review at Odiham on 15th July 1953 above.

The earlier coronation fly-past on 2nd June 1953 in front of Buckingham Palace was a different affair entirely. It consisted of 168 fighters (144 R.A.F. Meteors and 24 R.C.A.F. Sabres). In those days Buckingham Palace fly-pasts flew from south to north past the palace, rather than as they do now from east to west down the Mall.

The route was over the Thames Estuary to Canterbury, the feeding-in point for the the various wings. From Canterbury, south to Dungeness, on to Hastings Pier continuing to Bexhill where the formations turned north towards Biggin Hill and then over south London to fly past the front of the palace.

teeteringhead

only used UK based aircraft - none from Germany or further afield.

Not quite. See the entries showing 2nd T.A.F (Germany based) aircraft. And some R.A.A.F. aircraft too - not sure where they came from / were based.

Melchett01
20th Feb 2012, 16:33
If they bring the Gay Pride day forward compared to last year (2nd Jul 11) they could put on a thoroughly queentastic event!

And what if they included the Gym Queens in the same parade? Or would that be too many queens in one parade in celebration of the Queen? No doubt some of the republicans would be quite happy and say that HM was one queen too much.

On second thoughts, best not give the EO brigade any idea.

Warmtoast
20th Feb 2012, 17:58
Re my post #15 above.

According to Wiki between 1952 - 1954 75 & 76 Sqn RAAF was based in Malta and equipped with Vampires leased from the RAF.

CoffmanStarter
20th Feb 2012, 19:16
Must have been some serious beer flowing in the Mess :ok:

Coff.

Willard Whyte
20th Feb 2012, 20:39
No doubt some of the republicans would be quite happy and say that HM was one queen too much. One Q/queen is all this country needs.

pr00ne
20th Feb 2012, 21:15
Willard Whyte,

But we've had loads, loads and loads of em!

Jimlad1
20th Feb 2012, 22:02
While I would dearly have loved to have seen a 641 aircraft flyby, I can't help but wonder how operationally effective they all were. How many would have been needed to acheive the same effect as 16 Typhoons had in Libya?

I'm also prepared to place a large waver that when the flypast occurs, there will be a flood of posters on PPRUNE and elsewhere complaining about how many spare aircraft we have to go galivanting off on jollies and not ops. (I have heard a figure from good source on the planned numbers in flypast, but am not saying a number as I've not heard it publicly confirmed yet)

teeteringhead
21st Feb 2012, 06:37
Warmtoast - many thanks for your correction. Still a mightily impressive UK contribution.

Tankertrashnav
21st Feb 2012, 14:41
Warmtoast - thanks for that flypast list. I see some interesting names there - the Valiant being flown by one E.B.Trubshaw - Brian Trubshaw of Concorde fame, and the Hunter being flown by the legendary Neville Duke.

We still have "the right stuff" these days, it's just that they have so few aircraft in which to show us what they can do :(

Warmtoast
21st Feb 2012, 15:56
Tankertrashnav

I see some interesting names there

Apologies for the thread creep.

When I originally posted the list of particpants in the Queen's Coronation Review at Odiham in another thread a couple of years ago, someone commented that there were three prominent Battle of Britain pilots leading the Meteor formations i.e. Dennis Cowley-Milling, Bobby Oxspring and Paddy Barthropp.

So passed on FWIW.

Tankertrashnav
21st Feb 2012, 22:13
No apologies required Warmtoast

If the BBMF Dakota is down to fly, might be a good idea to get as many as possible who took part in the 1953 review to fly onboard! Sure there must be quite a few still around, and I'm sure they'd be up for it.

teeteringhead
22nd Feb 2012, 10:28
Had an aged spec aircrew sqn ldr working for me once (er - not that aged - four years younger than I am now :() who had flown a Meteor in the Coronation Flypast.

Told some wonderful tales about it - I particularly remember him telling of more than one Sabre that flamed out and left the mega-formation - only to rejoin after a successful re-light! What wonderful spirit, which is sadly unimaginable today.

Old-Duffer
22nd Feb 2012, 18:41
Coffman Starter

Shame on you Sir,

It's HM not HRH

O-D

CoffmanStarter
22nd Feb 2012, 19:22
O-D ... duly admonished this end !

Coff.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
22nd Feb 2012, 20:24
Mrs D'Sorderlee was told today (by e-mail) that, despite being previously told that she, and her colleagues - apart from those required for essential duties - would be given 5 Jun 12 off in order to celebrate HM Diamond Jubilee, following discussion with Nicola Sturgeon MSP, that was no longer the case and it will be work as usual.

The best made schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley!

Not chuffed.

Duncs:ok:

Finningley Boy
22nd Feb 2012, 20:33
While I would dearly have loved to have seen a 641 aircraft flyby, I can't help but wonder how operationally effective they all were. How many would have been needed to acheive the same effect as 16 Typhoons had in Libya?

A good question Jimlad 1. Does anyone know how many aircraft and of what types were deployed during the Suez Crisis, just three years later on from 1953?

I understand that apart from R.A.F. Valiants, Canberras and Venoms the FAA weighed in with Carrier-borne Sea Hawks and Sea Venoms.

But that said, lots of questions will still remain unanswered. For example; Were the aircraft deployed in Suez made available with ease and able to cope easel? And were the aircraft deployed in Ellamy as much as the R.A.F. dare deploy without inviting serious risks and would they have been much happier with a degree of slack as I imagine they had plenty of during Suez and still cope admirably?:)

Woops! Am I now guilty of inviting thread drift on my own thread!?!?!?!:confused:

Airborne Aircrew
22nd Feb 2012, 21:21
Who remembers Eelibuj? Or was it just my locality?

Ron Cake
23rd Feb 2012, 16:13
Finningley Boy

'... (were)aircraft deployed for Suez with ease...'

Not entirely. Shackletons had to pressed into service as troop transports

A2QFI
23rd Feb 2012, 19:48
Some names on that list that went on to be well known in aviation circles!

H N G Wheeler
Crowley-Milling
Bartropp (Spelling)
Trubshaw
Falk
Waterton
Duke
Lithgow

A roll call of test pilots!

Finningley Boy
24th Feb 2012, 00:27
Shackletons had to pressed into service as troop transports

Ron,

I don't doubt that they were, but on the subject of the overall number of aircraft deployed compared with the assets available, while transport may have been a weak force at the time, I imagine that aircraft from the Ground Attack and Air Defence elements would have posed less of a headache. But by contrast with Ellamy, I understand that there was definitely concern about what would happen if something else happened.

Whenurhappy
24th Feb 2012, 07:02
There is also Sqn Ldr Gartrell RNZAF listed - he subsequently served with distinction during the Emergency in Malaya and ended up as RNZAF DCAS in the early 1970s.

scudpilot
19th Apr 2012, 22:27
Anyone know what the lineup is likely to be for this yet?

Double Hush
20th Apr 2012, 05:42
There are 2 flypasts - 19th May and 5th Jun. On the 19th May there is a large formation flying over Windsor Castle as outlined in the following CAA information -http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2105

It looks like the events are opened with a Typhoon flypast then, an hour later, the biggie - lots of helicopters, BBMF, Tucanos in a '60' formation, Hercs, VC-10 + 2 Tornadoes, Hawks in an EIIR formation and finally the Reds.

On 5th Jun,all I have is the following - "Shortly after their arrival, The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh, and other Members of The Royal Family will appear on the Balcony, at which point there will be an RAF Flypast and a Feu de Joie (“Fire of Joy” – a celebratory cascade of rifle fire given as a salute by The Queen’s Guard) from the Forecourt". Dunno what will be flying though.

theboywide
20th Apr 2012, 11:57
May 19 is the Military Diamond Jubilee flypast
Junes flypast is the Queens Birthday, which I'd expect will be on a slightly smaller scale.

Airborne Aircrew
20th Apr 2012, 13:27
at which point there will be an RAF Flypast and a Feu de Joie

I wonder how many they will shoot down?

erikk the redd
6th May 2012, 18:01
Does anyone know the timing for overhead windsor?

Bob Viking
6th May 2012, 18:38
Yes. Someone does indeed know the TOT over Windsor.
Sorry I couldn't resist.
BV:E

EODFelix
10th May 2012, 20:20
And anyone near a certain base with royal connections watch out for the practice formation tuesday

scudpilot
11th May 2012, 15:59
Want to watch this from Windsor Great Park. Anyone know what direction they will be travelling, ie heading from / to?

Double Hush
11th May 2012, 19:42
South to North - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/Queens%20%20Jubillee%20Flypast%20RA%28T%29.pdf

OafOrfUxAche
11th May 2012, 21:23
a certain base with royal connections

What, Royal Air Force Lossiemouth? Or Royal Air Force Marham? Royal Air Force Leeming, perhaps?

scudpilot
15th May 2012, 15:17
Anyone have a definitive list of participating aircraft?

Willard Whyte
15th May 2012, 15:22
It may not be there, but the Vulcan first flew in '52. That would be the most appropriate bird to fly.

Climebear
15th May 2012, 15:51
DH

South to North - http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/64/Queens%...0RA%28T%29.pdf

Thanks for that - my Quarter is within Area C. :D

EODFelix
16th May 2012, 11:22
Think the timimgs are around 1125-1130 TOT

Genstabler
16th May 2012, 11:47
I can find next to nothing on MoD websites about the Jubilee flypast. Such a major effort by the RAF on such a momentous occasion surely merits some publicity in advance. Am I missing something?

Climebear
16th May 2012, 11:52
From way back in February's MOD News (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/ArmedForcesToMountSpectacularTributeForQueensDiamondJubilee. htm)

In honour of Her Majesty The Queen's 60-year reign Armed Forces personnel will parade through Windsor and muster at the castle on Saturday 19 May 2012.

Nearly 2,500 troops from the Royal Navy, the Army and the Royal Air Force will parade through Windsor in the presence of Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh.

They will then muster in the castle grounds for a unique event before an audience of more than 3,000 Armed Forces personnel, their families, and veterans. An impressive, tri-Service flypast of current and historic aircraft will conclude the celebrations.

Genstabler
16th May 2012, 11:56
That's it? We really don't do publicity very well in the UK forces, do we!

Haraka
16th May 2012, 12:02
IIRC just before the main fly past, R.A.F. Odiham witnessed a young Pilot Officer Quentin Oswell pass by in his Tiger Moth on a qualifying Cross country.

EMU_1
16th May 2012, 12:21
Full flypast practice at Valley, on BBC website, click <HERE> (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-18071191)

EMU_1
16th May 2012, 12:37
Neville Duke, 1953, the year he was awarded the OBE, and the flypast would have been prior to setting a new world airspeed record in Sep.

Thomas coupling
16th May 2012, 13:01
Three categories of arrival times: <100kts, <280kts, 360kts. All to be overhead at the same time within a 3 second window, I believe.......:ok:

That'll be the miracle, not the finding of 64 serviceable aircraft:eek:

Jumping_Jack
16th May 2012, 15:18
As I understand it:

Merlin
Sea King
Chinook
Puma
Lancaster
Sptifire X 3!
Hurricane
Tucano
Herc J
VC10
Tornado
Hawk
Sparrows

Total of 78 :ok:

Clockwork Mouse
16th May 2012, 15:28
What, no Typhoon?

JT Eagle
16th May 2012, 15:45
I am led to believe that a diamond 9 of Typhoons will kick the whole thing off at 1100L and that the rotary element of the main flypast circa 1226 will include Merlin, Chinook, Puma, Sea King, Apache, Lynx and Gazelle for a total of 12 cabs in some mix.(Presumably there will be RN and RAF Merlins and Sea Kings and RN and Army Lynx). Pity there don't seem to be any RAF ISTAR assets down for it...

JT

Bismark
17th May 2012, 08:13
Where are the historics (apart from BBMF). Would have been a great sight to see types from across her reign....or has willy-waving politics got in the way?

TorqueOfTheDevil
17th May 2012, 14:36
Where are the historics

Sea King
Puma
VC10
Hawk

Need I go on? All these types have been in service for the majority of the Queen's 60 years on the throne.

Climebear
17th May 2012, 17:23
More information now on the RAF website:

Jubilee Fly Past (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/jubilee-fly-past-17052012)

Fact Sheet (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafcms/mediafiles/8D776794_5056_A318_A808136AE8198BD6.pdf)

BEagle
17th May 2012, 18:41
That really is utterly pathetic....

Apart from the tri-service helicopters and the 9-ship Typhoon flypast, the RAF can only find 2 C-130s, a single VC10 with 2 Tornados, plus a number of trainers and historics?

Hopefully someone will draw parallels with even the Golden Jubilee, let alone the 1977 Jubilee or even the Coronation flypast?

It's an insult.....

helicopter pat
18th May 2012, 07:32
Looking at the layout of the flypast I think there must be a error in the fact that the Navy A/C are not leading seeing that it is the senior service.

dead_pan
18th May 2012, 08:27
That really is utterly pathetic

Hmm - I wonder whether the south-north routing and proximity of LHR had anything to do with the rather meagre a/c count? We can't delay the travelling public any more than is strictly necessary, on pain of a rather large bill from the airlines etc.

Should have done it at night-time when the airport was closed and illuminated the formations with searchlights...

The Oberon
18th May 2012, 13:41
To the diamond nine Typhoons plus shepherd that flew over my house about 14.30, bloody brilliant ! It almost made me wish I was still in, got a bit dusty in my conservertory for a few minutes.

Specaircrew
18th May 2012, 16:47
Crikey, has it really been 10 years since I was lucky enough to fly the Vickers Funbus in the Golden Jubilee Flypast! Good luck to all those involved, there's a lot of hard work goes into making these affairs look 'routine' and there's always a last minute fast ball ...........such as Her Majesty being late!

Bob Viking
18th May 2012, 16:54
Welcome to the 21st century RAF!
One could argue of course that a 9 ship of Typhoons represents an awful lot more capability than a substantially larger number of 1950's vintage fighters. I would be in danger of sounding like a VSO though.
BV:eek:

Lima Juliet
19th May 2012, 08:36
Good to see the RAF website is as accurate as usual...

Wing Commander Jason Appleton from RAF Benson in Oxfordshire is the lead pilot in the 12 helicopter formation heading up the fly past, which includes a Merlin, Puma, Sea King and Chinook from the Royal Air Force, an Apache, Lynx, Gazelle and Bell 212 from the Army and Sea Kings, Lynx and a Royal Navy Merlin.

Jase Appleton is a Nav (or WSO in today's money)!

:ugh:

Clockwork Mouse
19th May 2012, 10:15
As an ex-Army man watching the Jubilee march past I must complement the RAF contingent on their turnout and marching precision. They were splendid. Well done.

taxydual
19th May 2012, 10:21
Where did the Grenadier get those socks?

airsound
19th May 2012, 10:24
Watching the parade on BBC. The Royal Salute , for some strange reason, took place at about 1056. They then stood easy, and awaited the flypast - and the four-minute wait seemeed very long. CAS was seen to say something to HM.

The Typhoon diamond nine flew over at precisely 1100, as planned - but not before the BBC commentator, Dan Snow said (precise words) ...the Duke of Edinburgh, of course a naval man, looking on as the RAF holds up proceedings.I am, for once, speechless.

airsound

Melchett01
19th May 2012, 10:25
Where did the Grenadier get those socks?

Probably the same place that sells the red cords, tweed shirt, blazer and regimental tie combo favoured by some colonels where I work :E

Who is the ex Guards officer presenting? I missed the start and for some reason seem to be constantly being distracted by the rather lovely Miss Bruce's legs.

paully
19th May 2012, 10:39
Couldnt have put it better myself sir :8..............believe the gent with the red socks is Patrick someone or other

TwoTunnels
19th May 2012, 10:40
I guess Waddington was closed for the weekend! No E-3D, Sentinel, Shadow. (Or C-17, Tri* for that matter). :confused:

Just a question on the RAF marchpast - is it normal for the rank closest to HM to be filled with officers? I thought that they marched in the front (or is it the rear)? Haven't done marching up and down the parade square for about 20 years so what do I know!

Was good to see the RAF in step at least - very smart as well.:D

Data-Lynx
19th May 2012, 10:41
Airsound - I too was speechless - but only because it took a while to stop laughing. I also particularly liked the comment:
they won't be around for very long
If you will permit a crusty comment from the GRANBY flypast over London, then there was a central controller who was wary of the difficulties of coordinating Air and Ground timings. He had the authority to advance or delay the 'overhead' call and I had an Observer to pay close attention to what I was doing in the lead of Navy and Army helos. Sticking rigidly to a planned time does not always work.

Melchett01
19th May 2012, 10:45
they won't be around for very long

Around another 6 years if he rumours are to be believed.

Paully - In that case, I suspect it might be Patrick Hennessy who wrote The Junior Officers' Reading Club a few years back. Believe he was a Guards type.

draken55
19th May 2012, 10:54
Airsound

The BBC commentator was Eddie Butler not Dan Snow.

airsound
19th May 2012, 10:59
Draken - many thanks. My apologies to Mr Snow

airsound

recce_FAC
19th May 2012, 11:04
Eddie Butler is a terrible rugby presenter as well. Seems the Queen arrived a little too early on the dias. Anyway no point in letting the truth get in the way of some Typhoon bashing

BEagle
19th May 2012, 11:13
Having done but a few flypasts with a pre-planned TOT, it never failed to amaze me how we had to get it right whilst flying at several miles per minute - yet some parade commander couldn't manage to sort out his timing at a mere four miles per hour or less....

NutLoose
19th May 2012, 11:22
Have been watching a bit on the box this morning.... Do you think Prince Michael of Kent has a chitty for wearing that beard in RAF Uniform?..... Gawd 'elp him if the SWO see's it. :p

She should have gone down to the Mach Loop, she would have seen more aircraft flypast. Talk about small and short........ It really is Pitiful what we can put up these days. Precise flying but woefully short.

Clockwork Mouse
19th May 2012, 11:39
What sets us apart from the rest of the world. Our head of state reviewing our nation's armed forces. And not a politician in sight!

Data-Lynx
19th May 2012, 11:40
All credit to the Hawks for their 'EiiR' and to the massed Tuk Tuks and the SpArrows. Great display

30mRad
19th May 2012, 11:40
Just have to say it looked bloody brilliant - hairs on the back of the neck, lump in the throat and some pesky dust in my eyes.

A particular well done to the Reds for providing a Diamond 9 despite being 7 this season.

Awesome.

:D:D:D

Blue Bottle
19th May 2012, 11:41
Just watched it on TV and must say a big well done to all involved. Lots of work has gone it that and it was well worth it. All those involved should be well pleased with themselves. :ok:

goudie
19th May 2012, 11:46
Very satisfying to watch such a good job well done. Felt very proud!

aviate1138
19th May 2012, 12:02
BBC Camera coverage and Editorial selection was abysmal. More of the Band's conductor waving his baton when beauties like the VC10 flew by and I nearly aimed a projectile at the screen!

Well done the aircrews.

Just waiting for someone like Ken Livingstone to whinge about the cost or similar.

As one gets older I notice Time speeds up so it won't be long before I can watch the 75th Anniversary flypast - probably only the Spitfires, Hurricanes and the Lancaster [maybe two???] will be manned the rest [UAVs] will be flown from a desk in a desert somewhere. :)

NutLoose
19th May 2012, 12:06
When they asked the Nav what it was like to fly the Tornado....... :O

Aviate they are working on a UAV version of the A-10, that would be sweet.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Queen+Elizabeth+II+Attends+3kmhqxJndf_l.j pg

Ok what would you like?, I have some choc ices, mivvies, and some magnums in my cool box.. :p

Queen Elizabeth II Pictures - Queen Elizabeth II Attends The Armed Forces Parade And Muster - Zimbio (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/NctZV0oRKT9/Queen+Elizabeth+II+Attends+Armed+Forces+Parade/3kmhqxJndf_/Queen+Elizabeth+II)

Union Jack
19th May 2012, 13:21
Do you think Prince Michael of Kent has a chitty for wearing that beard in RAF Uniform?.....

Probably copied the same one as was used for his grandfather, King George V!

As mentioned before, I would be more interested in who signed the chit authorising him to wear wings - in light blue, as well as in dark blue and khaki .....:=

And yes, a big BZ to all those on parade.:ok:

Jack

Meldrew
19th May 2012, 14:39
Although Dan Snow was not the commentator wrongly blaming The RAF for the delay, he is not beyond reproach. He once stated that the Harrier had " four enormous engines"

Alber Ratman
19th May 2012, 14:58
RAF contingent showed the rest up..:ok:

FODPlod
19th May 2012, 15:10
RAF contingent showed the rest up..http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gifYes, but they were obviously walking as fast as they could.

(Oh, showed :oh: )

Rigga
19th May 2012, 15:14
Though I was never a fan of walking in lines, todays choreography seemed to work well and the somewhat short fly-past was quite impressive (to me, anyway).

Most impressive of all was the amount of bages worn by the RAF element. In my experience (some years ago) only the army seemed to have badges in any quantity.

Unfortunately, whilst impressive, I dont believe this is a good sign.

dazdaz1
19th May 2012, 15:20
I must admit, it did give me a giggle when the mother of one of the parade marchers (press tv) stated " I saw my son, he was the only one in step"

Daz

FlyingEagle21
19th May 2012, 15:25
What I managed to capture on my iPhone from my front garden..

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/560772_10150837147231964_545816963_9720618_417277881_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/156221_10150837146916964_545816963_9720616_928092956_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/547258_10150837146806964_545816963_9720615_365464731_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/550987_10150837147076964_545816963_9720617_1241863067_n.jpg

airsound
19th May 2012, 15:33
I must say it was lovely to see HM smiling and applauding, obviously tickled pink at the Tucano 60 and the Hawk EIIR.

airsound

FODPlod
19th May 2012, 16:03
A rare occasion without self-serving politicians or celebs basking in reflected glory and distracting the fickle media. Well done to all on parade and their families. You did yourselves proud.

pr00ne
19th May 2012, 16:07
"A rare occasion without self-serving celebs basking in reflected glory..."

You missed the fact that the Royal family was there...

Melchett01
19th May 2012, 16:16
You missed the fact that the Royal family was there...

You miss the fact that the Royal Family are probably held in higher regard by more of the population than any politician.

Genstabler
19th May 2012, 16:34
prOOne
To post a comment like that on this thread is contemptible. Ex FJ and now a lawyer? Suppose that says it all.

Tankertrashnav
19th May 2012, 16:37
Seconded Melchett - what a mean spirited, whinging comment prOOne

Anyone less deserving of being described as self-serving as HM is difficult to imagine. If she was self serving she'd have said two fingers to the lot of you 20 years ago and gone off to live a very comfortable idle existence, rather than put herself through a succession of visits, openings, mayoral lunches etc and listening to endless drivelling speeches. And her grandsons, instead of serving in their country's armed forces would have gone and led the sort of useless playboy life favoured by Middle Eastern royalty.

Shame on you :=

OafOrfUxAche
19th May 2012, 16:43
pr00ne,

You really are a nipple. I hope you die soon!

Oaf

WHBM
19th May 2012, 16:52
I didn't think the flypast was short on content at all. The EIIR formation alone took 27 aircraft. Now when was the last time you saw 27 aircraft in one single close formation, and done so immaculately, in any other country ?

glad rag
19th May 2012, 16:55
What a fantastic parade, the three cheers really did bring a moment of blurred vision and Her Majesty really seemed to be enjoying it too, along with the parade members who were stood at ease and were clearly seen to be watching the flypasts, well done for the [momentary] relaxed discipline that showed that it was also THEIR day as well.

:D

GR.

sled dog
19th May 2012, 17:27
On the BBC website there is a selection of photographs, one of which shows some Rocks presenting arms. The Sergeant`s hat is not straight for starters, but, whilst having an impressive row of medal ribbons, he is not wearing medals. Anyone know why ? :confused:

NutLoose
19th May 2012, 17:33
He probably thought, this will give the pprune lot something to ask about.

dropintheoggin
19th May 2012, 17:39
WHBM,

10 years ago. The same shape but with Tucanos

Widger
19th May 2012, 17:43
Well done to all the Servicemen and women today. The flypast was excellent considering all the issues surrounding aircraft and aircrew availability at the moment.

The BBC and particularly Dan Snow were a disgrace. He practically wet his pants at the BBMF but had virtually nothing to say about each other aircraft represented. The Rotary Formation in particular had aircraft from all three services which are at the forefront of the Military effort around the world and he only mentioned the Merlin and the Chinook and then had little else to say. Nothing about the squadrons, where they had served etc etc.

Very very poor indeed.

betty swallox
19th May 2012, 17:50
pr00ne=prick

airborne_artist
19th May 2012, 17:50
Widger - this isn't Dan Snow's fault.

It's the producer who writes the script and the RN/AAC/RAF PROs should have briefed fully the producer and pretty much given him/her the script, and at the very least all the detail on each aircraft type plus some personal detail such as "the lead RAF Merlin is being flown by Flt Lt PPrune who is just back from his Xth Op Herrick deployment in Afghanistan where he has been ... "

I've direct experience of the BBC and they respond very well to a really well-written brief but leave them to themselves and they just make it up.

johnnypaveway
19th May 2012, 18:13
Wah shield on- he started the parade with a full set of medals but he and his medals parted company due to a uniform malfunction! I thought the drill and the cheer on arrival of the light blue contingent were superb! Well done to all!!

WHBM
19th May 2012, 18:49
I've direct experience of the BBC and they respond very well to a really well-written brief but leave them to themselves and they just make it up.
Whereas with Raymond Baxter you got all sides in one person, so it can be done - and he was doubtless paid a fraction of today's BBC presenters.

Rossian
19th May 2012, 19:01
.... where was the smooth talking Airsound when needed? He always does it very well and scripts himself meticulously (I know , I've sat beside him while he was doing it).

The Ancient Mariner

Finningley Boy
19th May 2012, 19:06
pr00ne,

I may be simple soul but I really can't understand why someone of your background holds such old fashioned opinions and as ironic as it sounds, such thoughts really are yesterdays debate. Has it not occurred to you, that no matter what kind of establishment structure we have there'll always be someone at the top and someone at the bottom. For all that, I seriously do think we've got the best arrangement and the best possible people occupying the highest position in the country. Surely ant credibility for the crimson tide of Socialism ended with the Cold War when the whole rotten lot came tumbling down.

FB

Inshala
19th May 2012, 19:16
Well done today everybody (all services), I was proud to take part. I loved the footage of the Chief starting to look at his watch pre-Typhoon flypast before realising the cameras were on him and then just 'going for a scratch'. They were bang on time by the way! Very impressive tight formation from the C-130's and the rest were simply fab. Sorry, but the Reds did it for me after a difficult time recently.

Squirrel 41
19th May 2012, 19:29
Well done to all involved. Only pity was that they didn't loop the 27 in the EIIR formation - after all IIRC, several were ex-111(F)!

S41

taxydual
19th May 2012, 20:09
I suppose it would be too much to suppose that CDS and the other Head Sheds put their hands in their pockets and bought the 'Musterers' a beer afterwards.

high spirits
19th May 2012, 20:39
Just seen the report on the evening news. It put the forces in really good light and a complement to HM. I cannot fathom the opinion of Proonie. Likewise I am disappointed with an earlier post from BEagle describing the flypast compliment as pathetic. We are where we are, but the boys and girls were there, again trying their best. The compliment of aircrew today do far more per gallon than their predecessors........

Hyds Out
19th May 2012, 20:44
I would like to know why the airspace on the route of the fly past was closed from 0930z until 1130z. Well that was what the notams said for the area I was operating, and then be told that the RA(T) had been brought forward to 0920z and I would have to land and shut down. Could then not start again until 1140z due to a delay. I can understand the need to keep the route clear in the run up to, and during the fly past, but for 2 hours prior??? The airfield ATC and local radar seemed as bemused.....

BOAC
19th May 2012, 20:47
A big 'BZ' for the formations, Tucano and Hawks. From the pics I have seen it was SUPERB!

pasir
19th May 2012, 20:49
Marching Bands

An excellent display - Both parade and air formations - It was also a relief to see that the RAF band at long last appear to have scrapped their weird busbies for more appropriate headgear.

dangerousdave101
19th May 2012, 20:55
Well done to all those who paraded today. I was so proud to stand along side you all and represent the Royal Air Force. There was a lot of pressure today to get that parade right and much credability to be lost in front of our sister services. However, the pride and the will of the team to get it right was overwhelming through out the whole of the RAF contingent and we pulled off an amazing public display after a long, tiring week. The Cheers were very well deserved! Well done!

GeeWhizz
19th May 2012, 20:58
A very well done to the guys and girls on parade and in the air today, but lets not forget those who were at the home stations preparing, dispatching, and controlling too. Seeing Her Maj's smile with a short clap was priceless... Again Well done!

GW

robin
19th May 2012, 21:17
Excellent fly-past - typically crap coverage from the BBC , sadly

They seem to be too interested in arty farty views and miss the real imagery

gashman
19th May 2012, 21:28
For NOTAM timing, there were 2 weather ships planned to recce the route so a weather call could be made before hand (plus I heard the Albert boys doing a bit of weather checking too). The Typhoons needed to set off about 15 mins before ToT along the route. The weather check ac were slow movers too so the airspace needed to be clear I guess to allow the time to explore the whole area. Sorry for the airspace denial, hope it was worth it.

thing
19th May 2012, 21:36
Having had a tool around Lincs in really grotty weather at 100kts and 1,000' murk base today I take my hat off to the pros who get there on time and walk the walk. (Or fly the fly if you like) Well done to all involved. Magnificent, although I do miss Raymond Baxter.

andrewn
19th May 2012, 22:04
quite right "thing". Heard one of the Typhoon pilots post flypast saying he wouldn't like to be doing that Tucano flypast as it was very marginal in those conditions.

V. impressive and well worth all the hard work I'd say.

500N
19th May 2012, 22:15
Question for those in the know.

Why is Princess Anne not saluting in the photo half way down this page
when everyone else is.

Diamond Jubilee: Queen watches Royal Navy, the Army and RAF march through Windsor | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2146740/Diamond-Jubilee-Queen-watches-Royal-Navy-Army-RAF-march-Windsor.html)

airsound
19th May 2012, 22:26
Never mind Raymond ....

.... where was the smooth talking Airsound when needed?Rossian, dear thing, you’re too kind. In answer to your question, airsound was sitting in front of the telly feeling a touche discombobulated.

As it happens, I’ve been trying since autumn 2011 to persuade the Beeb to treat this problem seriously for their Jubilee coverage.

This isn’t the first time the Beeb and I have had these conversations. Indeed, I’ve done quite a lot of this sort of stuff for them before, including with the aforementioned and fantastic Raymond Baxter - my commentary mentor.

But my powers of persuasion turned out on this occasion to be rather less than I had hoped.

I’m still trying to persuade the Beeb that I want nothing more nor less than to have aviation portrayed accurately on telly, especially when it’s involved in big and significant events.

But I don’t seem to be doing a very good job.

airsound

bramboss
19th May 2012, 22:36
Jujmping back to the earlier discussion of the Coronation Review/Flypast, did anyone point out that it can be seen in moving pictures here?
R.A.F. CORONATION REVIEW ASTRA GAZETTE - British Pathé (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/r-a-f-coronation-review-astra-gazette/query/odiham+coronation+review)
Plenty of other aviation nostalgia stuff on the Pathe website if you search for it.

MightyGem
19th May 2012, 22:37
Just watched it on the iPlayer. Outstanding. Well done to all those who took part.

pr00ne, march yourself off to the Tower. :mad: :ugh:

D120A
19th May 2012, 23:02
Keep at them airsound! And name some names. Who are these people in the BBC who think that today's pathos of a commentary was a satisfactory performance? The rest of us can help by writing to their masters.

Nowhere was the inadequacy of the BBC commentary better illustrated than by the question, as the Hawks flew overhead: "Is that ER?"

"It's E II R" was the reply from the poor squadron leader who had to support this hapless BBC soul in his monumental lack of situational awareness.

"So that's what they were practicing when I visited RAF Valley!" said Snow. What was he doing at RAF Valley if he wasn't getting to grips with their exact contribution to the forthcoming flypast? Exploring the limits of the Mess entertainments account? Perhaps schmoozing with Royalty. He should by today have been au fait with the difficulties of all aspects of mounting that formation, the sightlines in the line abreasts, the IMC operation today, the lot. The airborne camera could barely pick out the formations in the murk. One sentence reflecting those was all that was required from him. And, as he has before, he failed.

So keep at them, airsound. Show them this. Everybody else, for Heavens sake write.

Genstabler
19th May 2012, 23:13
The ignorance of the BBC's reporters about anything to do with the RAF and aviation was irritating.
What I found unspeakably cringe-inducing, embarrassing, vomit making was the interview by the delectable Ms Bruce of the two poor squirming decorated soldiers, VC and GC.
"And what exactly was going through your mind when you threw yourself on top of the grenade ......" Ugh!

6foottanker
20th May 2012, 01:06
Watching the various reruns with immense pride here in the States! Has to be said when we put our minds to it, we really show the rest of the world how things should be done. I shall return to work with the Spams a proud member of HM Forces. As someone said here on Friday 'the US just doesn't do this stuff'.

A real shame the Beeb could not devote as much effort and pride to the show as the troops, and all servicepeople, involved in the ceremony clearly did. Awful camera work, p**s poor commentary (YET AGAIN. It's not difficult to read an E, two Is and an R or is it???) and sloppy fact finding.

Dan Snow has done enough of these to know better by now.

Finningley Boy
20th May 2012, 02:52
What a spectacle! Totally fitting and carried off with aplomb and considerable style.

Beagle, you have proved beyond reasonable doubt with post #63 what a pompous, out of touch @rse you really are. You should be ashamed of yourself. How did you get so bitter? Your comments are offensive and down right ignorant. You of all people should know how much effort is required to get that many aircraft on time, on target. It must have taken weeks of work, and quite right so for our sovereign. To be dismissed as an "insult" by you is frankly, just that.

DS,

I can understand where Beagle is coming from here, aside from the two signature formations, the only thing to be said about the flypast is that it is yet another marker of a country's spiralling decline. It wasn't impressive because of the degree to which the R.A.F. frontline has been dismantled to pay for the time set conflict in Afghanistan. The display teams and trainer formations were fine, but everything else was way under represented for what one would expect of an air force which is often reported as a beneficiary of the largest defence budget in the West save the U.S.A.

high spirits
20th May 2012, 06:03
FB,
I can't understand where BEagle is coming from, and I think he should apologise. I wouldn't put it in quite such strong language as the previous poster though.
However, to describe it as an 'insult' was way off the mark. A lot of my colleagues in a services gave up their day to take part and time to rehearse beforehand to make it what it was.
Comments about aircraft numbers from some 'has been' should be seen for what they are.

BEagle
20th May 2012, 07:17
high spirits, I consider that the components of the flypast were well constructed and very well flown in less than ideal conditions.

However, I remain of the opinion that the meagre content of the flypast was indeed pathetic. Indicative of the run down state of the operational strength of the UK Armed Forces:

No C17s
No Sentinels
No E-3Ds
No TriStar
2 Tornados
2 C130
1 VC10

As for the BBC commentary, where do they find these people...??

Chugalug2
20th May 2012, 07:31
A fantastic effort and BZ (is that the correct expression and could the gentlemen in the Press Gallery please make a note of my comment?) to all involved, whether marching or flying. This was a tribute from the people the Queen admires above all others to their Commander in Chief, for 60 years of unrelenting duty done. I should just like to add mine, thank you Ma'am!
As to what I think of the Beeb's coverage, it spelled out succinctly the corporate attitude of disdain it has for the military and Royalty; absolute rubbish! No amount of script writing or informed "helpers" will ever turn that around. How have we got ourselves into the position where the broadcaster charged with covering the great national events of this country has such contempt for its traditions and values? I would genuinely prefer Sky or ITV be given the job. At least they would simply bring a commercial attitude with them instead of all the insouciant baggage displayed by the Dimblebys and now, it seems, the Snows. So much more interesting going back indoors to hear what inanity Fiona is about to utter than simply listen to the bands and watch the parade. Grrr!

wokkamate
20th May 2012, 07:52
Must have been a heck of an Inadvertent IMC plan! Great job by all concerned though, marching, flying and backroom staff. Made me proud, so thank you!

:ok:

foldingwings
20th May 2012, 07:55
BEagle

However, I remain of the opinion that the meagre content of the flypast was indeed pathetic. Indicative of the run down state of the operational strength of the UK Armed Forces:

No C17s
No Sentinels
No E-3Ds
No TriStar
2 Tornados
2 C130
1 VC10

Busy on Ops?

Anyway, BEagle, it exceeded your expectations in #4, so you should be happy!

Perhaps the Diamond Jubilee flypast might run to the BBMF, Reds and 4 TypHoons? But that's probably about all...

Who in their right mind chose Eddie Butler, who is a cr@p rugby commentator anyway, to be one of the presenters of this magnificent parade and flypast by our Armed Services? The BBC should be ashamed, the sound quality was shocking (particularly for the marching bands), the commentators were vague, ignorant and badly prepared, the introduction of school children and their paintings had b*gger all to do with the troops (which is what it was all about) and, as for Butler, he couldn't recognise a regiment cap badge if it was staring him in the face! He was clearly reading from a sheet of facts and participants but I don't think he once managed to coordinate it with what was actually on the screen. 'The Army Air Corps' says he with not a blue beret visible on TV at that point!

A great day for our Armed Forces and Her Majesty!:D

A Shocker for the BBC who should hang their corporate head in shame!:eek:

Foldie

PS. If this has all been said before on the previous pages then I merely add weight!

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 08:16
[QUOTE]Question for those in the know.

Why is Princess Anne not saluting in the photo half way down this page
when everyone else is.

Diamond Jubilee: Queen watches Royal Navy, the Army and RAF march through Windsor | Mail Online[/nQUOTE]

Princess Anne wasn't the only one, several of the RAF didn't either, suppose they didn't know when too.

taxydual
20th May 2012, 09:04
Unless HRH The Princess Royal is Grumpy from this thread
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/485710-saluting-advice-please.html

ricardian
20th May 2012, 09:12
I've contacted the BBC (https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templates/bbcfaqs/emailstatic/emailPage?entryID=comment&id=OL6M16QB69MSMNS6E3TSCAGJMI&moduleID=contact) about the appalling commentary on the fly past and the march past

foldingwings
20th May 2012, 09:15
And now The Sunday Telegraph is at it! Apparently the RAF sneaked in early on with a flypast by (the diamond nine) Tornados! And there were even Harriers in the final RAF line-up!

Why don't these bloody people check their facts rather than just trot out what they think!

Oh, and evidently, it's Air Vice Marshall these days too!

Steam now coming out of ears!

Foldie:sad:

MAINJAFAD
20th May 2012, 09:27
Foldingwings

You should expect that from the Telegraph, they are very good at getting the Tonka and Tiffy mixed up. Last time they did it (about 3 weeks ago when the Typhoons flew into Northolt) some of the comments sent in by the public were priceless.

Tankertrashnav
20th May 2012, 09:36
Eddy Butler to Dan Snow - if it goes over 500 mph, I can take it, to which Snow comments, observing the incoming helicopter formation - "Well these struggle at that speed" !!!

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Tallsar
20th May 2012, 09:48
There is no doubt that the effort put in by all concerned was well worth it. A clear reminder to the Nation of the significance of our armed forces and thier relationship with their Sovereign and CinC. She was obviously delighted with it all, especially the 60 and EIIR formations. :ok:I did wonder why it was timed for yesterday.... In days past such a signifcant parade I suspect would have been integrated into the main event in early June...showing just how integral the military and HM were to the fabric of the Nation etc. I suspect this is not part of our modern ethos in our consumer and celebrity lead individualistic society

I am with Beagle though, that effort and success shouldn't cloud our judgement to how bad things have become... and may still yet get worse (How many F35s & Tiffs will we have by 2020?). We have thrown too much away in recent years on the back of an unwinnable mega counter-insurgency..... and while well trained soldiers can be recruited and trained over several years, restoring a high tech air power capability takes decades. That suggests a strategic blunder in my opinion, which yesterday's flypast merely emphasised. We have thrown the baby out with the bath water of essential expenditure cuts. I couldn't help but wonder what effort went into getting that Tiff D9 together in the circumstances - well done. I am sure I wasn't the only one to hear the Windsor clock bells chime as the flypast went by...showing who was on time...Baxter would have picked that up!:ugh:

I am at one with those bashing the Beeb... its over-emphasis on "productionising" the format with interviews and side events was at best semi-relevant and often totally distracting from the main events. The commentary was revealing of a presenter focused culture (Have you seen the latest "Live" nonesense with Hammond from Africa?) yet providing presenters who are names not experts. Anyone watching the Olympic flame coverage at Culdrose and the next morning would have found similar. Personailities now seem to matter at the Beeb - not research and factual presentation. Our national broadcaster did a pathetic job yestreday - the sound management was particularly abysmal. As Chug says... give it in future to someone who might care from a commercial product perspective at the very least.:sad:

foldingwings
20th May 2012, 10:19
This to the BBC Complaints today:

The level of commentary and presentation for this programme was very poor. The sound quality was poor and amateurish, particularly relating to the marching bands, and the level of knowledge and preparedness of the commentators was shockingly below the standard expected from such a prestigious organisation as the BBC. Eddie Butler seemed to be operating off a sheet of notes that he never actually related to what was appearing on the screen (eg. He mentioned the Army Air Corps but there were no AAC personnel, recognisable by their sky blue berets, visible on screen at the time). Dan Snow (or Eddie Butler) criticised the RAF flypast for 'keeping everybody waiting' when in actual fact they were bang on time by the clock tower chimes as they flew overhead - the real reason was that the Royal Party had arrived too early and the parade commander had been forced into starting the ceremony before the appointed hour. Additionally, what value was there for this 'Armed Forces Event' in interviewing children about their paintings outside Windsor Castle - I would suggest none!

The Armed Forces personnel on the ground and those in the air had rehearsed all week to ensure that this event went without a hitch. It was self-evident that the BBC producers and, sadly for those roped in to face the cameras or the microphones with a half-baked script, had not prepared themselves in like style!

The event was a marvel of military precision - the BBC let the military and her Majesty down badly!

They promise a reply - we'll see!

Foldie:{

robin
20th May 2012, 10:33
I seem to remember someone suggested that the Beeb should use amateur aircraft photographers to film this sort of event as the quality of their work is much superior to the professionals

I have a feeling that the BBC use such events as a training event for directors and photographers. Certainly the work looks like it is a 6th Form College project.

Perhaps they should go back to the archives and learn to do it properly

Chugalug2
20th May 2012, 10:52
"We are sorry to learn that you did not enjoy our OB coverage from Windsor of the Armed Forces Tribute to HM the Queen.
There are many technical challenges in broadcasting such a large ceremony live from a number of locations as in this instance, and some perhaps were apparent, but there have been few other complaints from that perspective and the BBC considers it on the whole to have been successful.
As to production values, the BBC is a national broadcaster that is financed directly by all its viewers. It feels strongly in particular that children and young people should not feel excluded from such a national event and that is why they were specifically included. We will continue to endeavour that they remain so.
Thank you for your interest and in communicating your concerns with us"

OK, it's not from the Beeb but what I've cobbled up in anticipation. I don't expect their reply will be that much different. Just sufficient to say "knob off fellah, we don't give a stuff what you think", without addressing any specific criticisms. The Beeb will never change itself, it is only their paymasters that will do that. Who are they? Good question! Very good question!

Sir George Cayley
20th May 2012, 10:59
At least John Nichol would have been able to identify the Tornados;)

Even Murray Walker would have done a professional job.

SGC

Hamish 123
20th May 2012, 11:20
Boris Johnson is right - the BBC is deeply and institutionally "left of centre" biased, and this reflects in their coverage of military matters, amongst other things (Question Time, R4, much current affairs coverage, most topical "comedy" etc etc).

The only surprise is that anyone is surprised it is thus so.

MAINJAFAD
20th May 2012, 11:32
Robin

Like this ???

Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p00j9xd5/Trooping_the_Colour_Silver_Jubilee/)

1977 Trooping the Colour Flypast at 1:50:00 onwards, however note that the commentator places Coningsby to the north west of Lincoln, so they were not that good back then except for the late Raymond Baxter. As for the producers, none of them in my living memory have been any good as these displays, be it ground displays (QCS / Kings Troop RHA /Etc) or flypasts. They always spend most of their time focused on close ups when the display is designed to be seen a distance.

gas path
20th May 2012, 12:18
Excellent and well done. Bang on time from my vantage point at the 'Copper Horse':ok::ok:
Point perfect formations as well.:ok:

India Four Two
20th May 2012, 13:00
This is well worth watching.

BBC News - How to organise a military spectacular (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18112625)

high spirits
20th May 2012, 14:13
BEagle,
I still don't understand. What made it an insult? Who did it insult - you? HM? Yep the BBC coverage may have been below average, but you just can't shut down Londons main airport with waves of aircraft. Likewise, you could put up formations of everything we have serviceable in the inventory of a 3 services, but the amount of rehearsal required would jeapordise necessary training for ops. The marching and the flypast achieved appropriate balance. Yes, it is a reflection of how much we have been cut.
Was it an insult......?

No, I'm afraid you are just plain wrong fella.

NutLoose
20th May 2012, 14:27
I just look at it and then think of the Parades the likes of starving cash strapped North Korea put on.

Chugalug2
20th May 2012, 14:28
MAINJAFAD:
Like this ???
Link
What a contrast, what a difference 35 years makes! Crisp informed commentary from which I for one learned much that I did not know before. Never intrusive, never gratuitous, but pertinent and knowledgeable. Who might you ask gave this excellent presentation? Tom Fleming!
I would follow up I42's commendation of how to organise a military spectacular with your link for the BBC, MJ, of how to broadcast it!
The other great attribute of this 1977 coverage is a salutary reminder of how blessed this nation has been to have HMQ as our Sovereign for the last 60 years. Here she was already 25 years into her reign. May she long to reign over us yet!

AR1
20th May 2012, 15:34
I enjoyed it. Whats more seeing HM enjoying it actually brought a tear to my eye. I must be getting old!

MAINJAFAD
20th May 2012, 16:27
What a contrast, what a difference 35 years makes! Crisp informed commentary from which I for one learned much that I did not know before. Never intrusive, never gratuitous, but pertinent and knowledgeable. Who might you ask gave this excellent presentation? Tom Fleming!
I would follow up I42's commendation of how to organise a military spectacular with your link for the BBC, MJ, of how to broadcast it!
The other great attribute of this 1977 coverage is a salutary reminder of how blessed this nation has been to have HMQ as our Sovereign for the last 60 years. Here she was already 25 years into her reign. May she long to reign over us yet!

Of course, Tom Fleming. A very rare slip up on his part (or his researcher) about Coningsby. Unfortunately he passed away two years ago (which I didn't know having done a quick bit of research). I was just going into the RAF Museum at Hendon as an 11th Birthday treat when that little flew over on the egress. Was a bit loud.:ok::ok:

John Farley
20th May 2012, 16:38
In 1953 the RAF organised a flypast for the Queen at Odiham to mark her Coronation the previous year.

The formation took 27 minutes to pass the dias and included 26 types and totalled 641 aircraft including 264 Meteors. There was also a static display of another 320 aircraft which she inspected from an open top Landrover.

Our Queen has seen a few changes during her reign.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/johnfarley/QueensCoronationFlypast.jpg

fantom
20th May 2012, 16:56
N Duke in a Hunter.

Had the honour of flying with Hazel in Air Anglia. Tried to brief him on the nicad batteries in a recently acquired F27. Later found out who he was...

Wander00
20th May 2012, 17:53
Some famous and some well known names there

charliegolf
20th May 2012, 18:11
A smashing old friend of the family, Cameron Hanbury, flew as a sergeant co-pilot to Ensor on Liberators in the war. One night, they wre dropping ordnance in a French harbour(Brest, Cherbourg?). I think it was mines.

He said that it was the most terrifying few minutes he had until then lived through: even when he told me, he said he could not then believe they survived wothout a hit.

On the trip home, Ensor said, "Wereyou scared then Taff?" Cameron said, "I thought I was going to **** myself Sir."

Ensor: Good. You can fly with me again. I have no time for heroes who say they weren't scared of what we just did.

They obviously survived! Wonderfully understated people.

CG

Treble one
20th May 2012, 20:59
A friend of mine was in the flypast, flying a Meteor F8 from Duxford. He was chosen to receive the special Coronation flypast medal for his squadron (IIRC from his story there was only one allocated per squadron).

There are some famous names in that list, including several WWII and BoB veterans. One can only assume that both Sqn Ldr Duke and Wg Cdr Falk didn't perform their famous 'party pieces' in their respective mounts?

However, having seen Her Majesty's obvious enthusiasm for the special formations of Hawks and Tucanos yesterday, maybe she would have quite enjoyed it?

airsound
21st May 2012, 06:22
D120A, sorry for slow reply - was involved at a distance yesterday with the (much better) BBC coverage of the flying bits of the Falklands Memorial Dedication at the National Memorial Arboretum.
BBC News - Vulcan flypast at Falklands memorial dedication (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18137147)

Anyway, you suggestSo keep at them, airsound. Show them this. Everybody else, for Heavens sake write. I am keeping at them - that was the other thing I was doing yesterday, and they tell me they'll be checking this thread today.

And I do agree with you - everyone who has an interest should complain by following that useful BBC link BBC - Complaints - Home (http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/)
or perhaps call 03700 100 222, or 03700 100 212 (textphone), both of which are 24-hour numbers, charged as 01/02 geographic numbers.

You also suggest I name names. I won't do that at this stage, if you don't mind. I'm still hoping, perhaps naïvely, that we can get the whole thing working better by reasonable argument rather than personalised pressure.

airsound

Whenurhappy
21st May 2012, 07:00
Sadly I was busy on Saturday so could only view the poor coverage on the BBC news much, much later (taking in account of time zones). Only a munite or two's coverage and virtually no substantive comment. Luckily., I'm not paying a license fee!

Tankertrashnav
21st May 2012, 07:22
All on the BBC website Whenurhappy (should be there for a week) Here's the link:
BBC iPlayer - The Diamond Jubilee: Armed Forces Tribute (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01j72s6/The_Diamond_Jubilee_Armed_Forces_Tribute/)

Jazzyg
21st May 2012, 07:42
Just to clarify, I was in the invited audience just oppposite the unfortunate SNCO from QCS who was seen as wearing ribbons but no medals. It would appear he lost the medals as he marched on as I saw a BBC camera man pick them up after the Guard of Honour marched off the parade square. (I do hope he got them back)

As for the fly past, a grand effort and well worth it! Well done to all!!

Best regards,

jazzy:D

Wensleydale
21st May 2012, 07:47
This to the BBC Complaints today:

:D

perhaps a copy to the Radio Times would also not go amiss? Where is "Points of View" when you need it.

FantomZorbin
21st May 2012, 09:01
Only able to see the IPlayer version last night. Totally agree with the comments re: the abysmal BBC coverage; it was no better on R4 (Sunday) in the program about the formation of the RFC where they had "Pilot Officers" apparently - yet another 'Snowism' :ugh:

BTW I appreciated the number plate of the people carrier following the Royal Car - who thought of that? ... and managed to get away with it!!!

Chugalug2
21st May 2012, 12:22
Wensleydale:
Where is "Points of View" when you need it.
Well it's right here:-
BBC - BBC One Programmes - Points of View - Air your views (http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/pov/aps/airyourviews.shtml)
and encouraging you to air your grievances by filling in this simple form:-
BBC - BBC One Programmes - Points of View - Spotted an on-air error? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/pov/aps/form.shtml)
In doing so you will of course be a part of the inclusiveness that is the right of all Licence Payers, just as long as it doesn't actually lead to the Beeb changing its ways! With a guaranteed income and not worried about courting advertisers why should it?

rats404
21st May 2012, 12:46
I was on an IMC sortie out of Cambridge on Saturday, and heard the BBMF arrange ad hoc diverts into Cambridge and Duxford on their way home because of the lousy weather.

It only reinforced my respect and admiration for some superb aviators. The icing on the cake for me was being number two to land behind the Lancaster and having the opportunity to park up alongside it for some impromptu pics of our 172 being dwarfed by it.

Rats404

Whenurhappy
21st May 2012, 13:28
Unfortunately TTN I live out East, so can't get BBC iPlayer...well, not legally anyway!

TMJ
23rd May 2012, 00:19
Lest anyone's interested, this video has my favorite bit of the parade at around 6min, when we marched round the corner with the band playing the highlight of the musical day for me.

jxT6ju9MnHQ

The comment from (one presumes) the videographer and her friend at 5m49 amused me too...

500N
23rd May 2012, 00:30
A very impressive display all round :D

Good to see everyone seemed to get it right at 7.30 when
the parade bunched up before stepping out again.

airsound
23rd May 2012, 08:55
Well done for finding that smashing little film TMJ. I didn't intend to, but I ended up watching it all, right the way through to the suspicion of a beery tear coursing its way down the seamed old cheek towards the end.

Thanks muchly.

airsound

Warmtoast
25th May 2012, 09:35
Re Complaints to the BBC

Wensleydale, Chugalug 2 , airsound, ricarian et-al

It’ll be interesting to read the Beeb’s reply, but don’t hold your breath about receiving a meaningful reply. Mention of letters to the Beeb and their reply set me rooting (no pun intended!) in my library for a book that I knew had examples of letters to the Beeb with the Beeb's replies.

Way back in 1980, William Donaldson a.k.a. Henry Root wrote a letter to Esther Rantzen at the BBC Television Centre in which Root informed Esther Rantzen that she was “a fat idiot” and her television show That’s Life “a disgrace”. He received a reply from the shows producers assuring him that “hearing from viewers like yourself is a tremendous morale boost for all of us.”

His letter and the reply was published in “The Henry Root Letters and I attach a scan of the relevant page.

Henry Root was a right-wing nutcase and wet fish merchant from Elm Park Mansions, Wimbledon, SW10, who specialised in writing brash, outrageous and frequently abusive letters to eminent public figures, his letter of complaint to Esther Rantzen and the Beeb is typical.

I’ve got three of the Henry Root books and they are some of the funniest books I’ve ever read and well worth a read if you can lay your hands on copies.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/EstherRantzen_732x960.jpg

Whenurhappy
25th May 2012, 10:53
Great video - good to see. I'm sitting late at my desk writing a speech I'm giving tomorrow night (Saturday) at a QDJ Dinner set up by the local expats. I also dmit that my office was a little dusty...

Lightning Mate
25th May 2012, 11:14
re. post #162.

Nice one John - do you remember an organisation called the Royal Air Force.

Flarkey
25th May 2012, 11:21
Nice video on YouTube of the EiiR Hawk formation...

Queens Diamond Jubilee EIIR Flypast 19 May 2012 - A Pilot's View - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VEWDhqVIihI)

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEWDhqVIihI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VEWDhqVIihI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Evanelpus
25th May 2012, 14:29
Excellent video, thanks for the link.

I was there last Saturday and thought the entire flypast was superb, so congrats to all involved.

JT Eagle
25th May 2012, 17:53
So what's on the programme for the next flypast? June 5th over Buck House.
a mixed formation of RN helicopters has been seen practising over Dorset since the Windsor shingdig, presumably as part of this. There's also supposed to be one over the Thames boat parade on the 3rd, but details are lacking at this point...

JT

TorqueOfTheDevil
25th May 2012, 21:12
JT,

Check the dates - I heard it was June 16th over London.

Squadron Prints have made a special print depicting all the aircraft in the flypast. Of course, they have had to compress the formations somewhat to get all the aircraft on one sheet...apart from the C-130 formation;)

TOTD

johnnypaveway
25th May 2012, 21:18
5th Jun
BBMF and RAFAT as part of QDJ Thanksgiving- St Paul's then BP

brit bus driver
25th May 2012, 22:13
Guessing June 16th will be the QBF following Trooping the Colour?

Hoping to be in town on the 5th to give the mini-drivers a glimpse of the Royal procession and the flypast.

The_Agent
26th May 2012, 05:11
Thanks for posting my vid Flarkey! ;)

foldingwings
28th May 2012, 09:00
Seems BBC must be rather busier with complaints than they can handle these days. This just received:

Dear Foldingwings

Thanks for recently contacting the BBC. We aim to reply to complaints within 10 working days (around 2 weeks) and do for most of them but cannot for all. The time taken depends on the nature of the complaint, how many others we are dealing with and can also be affected by practical issues, such as whether a production team is available or away on location.

This is to let you know that we think it may take us longer but that we will respond as soon as we can.

Ho hum!

I can't wait!

Foldie:bored:

D120A
3rd Jun 2012, 22:29
You'll have a long wait, Foldie. As of today the BBC are inundated with complaints about today's commentary on the Thames pageant where the Queen was actually called 'Her Royal Highness The Queen'! I know, I can hardly bear to write it.

The ignorance and lack of professionalism in BBC outside broadcast commentaries nowadays is truly breathtaking.

NutLoose
3rd Jun 2012, 22:55
Nice bit of handling on the Royal Barge though :D

Tankertrashnav
3rd Jun 2012, 23:18
Yes it was neat, Nutloose, but the same feat is accomplished daily by hundreds of competent skippers. To hear the BBC commentator you'd have thought he'd defied the laws of physics by bringing her alongside without ramming the landing stage headon!

I missed "HRH, The Queen", D120A . Where do they get these :mad: people? :ugh:

A2QFI
4th Jun 2012, 07:10
Respect to Her Majesty - so far as I could see she didn't sit down once during the whole proceedings. Shame about the flypast -with the top of The Shard in cloud it was never looking likely

ACW599
4th Jun 2012, 07:14
>The ignorance and lack of professionalism in BBC outside broadcast commentaries nowadays is truly breathtaking.<

Calling a steam locomotive a 'train' and advising the listening millions that its name was 'Prince Elizabeth' was fairly typical of the standard reached.

taxydual
4th Jun 2012, 07:21
This made me laugh.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee 2012: BBC sank under a tide of wittering inanity | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154222/Queens-Diamond-Jubilee-2012-BBC-sank-tide-wittering-inanity.html)

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

FantomZorbin
4th Jun 2012, 07:57
If this BBC team are 'doing' the Olympics, it should be 'a guinea a minute' :*

6Z3
4th Jun 2012, 08:22
Was I the only one shouting "FENDERS"

wub
4th Jun 2012, 08:32
Did anyone pick up that The Duchess of Cambridge's favourite milliner had been in the business a very long time and had made the hats for Lord Nelson at the Battle of Waterloo?

glojo
4th Jun 2012, 08:50
I hear the Royal Navy had to cancel the 'Fleet Review' that they had planned to take place on the Thames as there were too many small boats on the river.

How can anyone not respect or at least admire this amazing couple that stood on their feet throughout the afternoon and early evening. Standing still for hour after hour without a break, without a polite time out was truly inspirational. I saw on a few occasions how Her Majesty held onto that throne for a few seconds relief but NEVER once did she consider taking a well earned rest.

RESPECT

John

Al-bert
4th Jun 2012, 09:24
Oh yes, but I'm sure he'd have worn it, if he'd been there, and alive, Shame, it was a very nice hat too :rolleyes:

foldingwings
4th Jun 2012, 09:59
TTN

you'd have thought he'd defied the laws of physics by bringing her alongside without ramming the landing

Laaarf! I nearly **** myself when he commented that 'he was defeating the Laws of Gravity'!

How can you defeat that law when you are sitting on the Earth's surface (albeit water)?

Bloody fools - where do they get these morons from? These are not just slips of the tongue - they expose a deep ignorance and a lack of respect!

By the way, I'm still waiting for my answer but I shall certainly retort with the HRH issue if it's as weak a response as I am anticipating!

Foldie:confused:

Jimlad1
4th Jun 2012, 12:13
"I hear the Royal Navy had to cancel the 'Fleet Review' that they had planned to take place on the Thames as there were too many small boats on the river. "

Assuming that isn't tongue in cheek, I can assure you that no such 'review' was ever planned. This was a private event, and not an RN event.
I did a bit over on ARRSE trying to explain the RN presence, which I've put below in an effort to try to dampen down the 'why no frigate' lobby.

"Gents,
As someone directly involved in helping organise a minor part of the event, I can perhaps try to put some context for you. Firstly, Buckingham Palace made very clear that they only wanted one official function this year, and this was the Jubilee Muster which occurred at Windsor. Anything else was seen as a non MOD function.

Secondly, this was a private event, organised by a private company. They were gracious enough to allow the Royal Navy to take part.

In terms of ship participation, several issues occurred. Firstly, the problem of ship size. The largest vessel in the RN that can go beyond Tower Bridge is a Type 23. Had you rafted a Type 23 alongside HMS Belfast (http://www.laterooms.com/en/p9405/k16279755_belfast-hotels.aspx), then you would have had the equivalent of an M25 pileup on a particularly congested piece of water as five lanes of traffic went to one. Between Greenwich and before HMS PRESIDENT, there are no moorings where you could put a Type 23 on a river anchorage and still allow the flotilla to safely disperse. HMS Hurworth was the largest type of vessel that could safely occupy the berth in question. You could not get a T45 up that far, never mind get them through Tower Bridge – you’ll never, ever, see a T45 go past Tower Bridge as they are simply too tall.

There is a berth at Greenwich, where vessels up to Carrier size can go to. The problem is that this is a private event, and that berth was taken some years ago. There were no berths anywhere on the pageant route that the RN could have put a platform on to without moving people who had paid a lot of money to be there. The closest you could have been (and I know this for a fact, having discussed a couple of times with the RN event organiser) is the Excel centre, out of sight and out of mind.

The RN presence was entirely appropriate based on what could operate on the river. The ORC / PB escort came about because they are the only type of boats able to get from the start line to the finish line continuously. The P2000s couldn’t get up to beyond Westminster Bridge as they were too tall.

This was a private event, but personally I think the RN, RAN, RCN and RNZN came out of it looking pretty good for themselves. Its not as simple as saying ‘put multiple pussers warships on the Thames’. The question is ‘what can we put that can escort the Sovereign, on a continual basis, without causing a pile up which could see people drown and also enable the programme to occur as planned’.

Very happy to discuss this in more depth via PM to those who think something else could have been done better. Having sat in on a lot of briefings to some exceptionally senior people on this, I can assure you that what you saw was the DS solution, because nothing else would have been feasible."

Chugalug2
4th Jun 2012, 14:00
So the Beeb managed to surpass the crassness of its coverage of the Windsor Muster with that of the Thames Progress yesterday. Are they making some subtle point or is this the format we may expect for their coverage of the Olympics, The Trooping, Armistice Day, and just about every other upcoming national event? Hopefully it's the latter and nothing more sinister than their own inept uselessness. I believe there is a theory that once an organisation builds its own corporate headquarters, then it is in terminal decline. The Beeb seems to have provided the QED to that in full and will become yet another long forgotten institution labelled the British something or other. Good riddance!

Tankertrashnav
4th Jun 2012, 15:36
Jimlad - always good to get a post from someone who knows what he's talking about - especially on a predominantly aircrew forum where most of us dont know much more about ships except that the pointy end is called the bow (I think :confused:)

rockyDC
4th Jun 2012, 15:44
Did anyone else see the Naval "Lurpak" Brooch on her red dress? I would have hoped she was wearing RAF wings to support her husband rather than the rest of her in laws!:confused:

FODPlod
4th Jun 2012, 15:58
Did anyone else see the Naval "Lurpak" Brooch on her red dress? I would have hoped she was wearing RAF wings to support her husband rather than the rest of her in laws!

Not wings but dolphins to reflect her husband's role as Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Navy Submarine Service (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_William,_Duke_of_Cambridge#Honorary_military_appointm ents).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7c/Royal_Navy_Dolphins.jpg/220px-Royal_Navy_Dolphins.jpg

langleybaston
4th Jun 2012, 16:04
"Did anyone pick up that The Duchess of Cambridge's favourite milliner had been in the business a very long time and had made the hats for Lord Nelson at the Battle of Waterloo? "

Did I miss the fact that Napoleon learnt to sail on Barton Broad? I fully expected it.

The only way to watch such drivel is with the sound O F F O F F.

The commentary verged on the grotesque at the time, and that stupid couple of commentators in the studio kept getting in the way of the action.

And what was Huw Edwards up to: he usually can be relied on for a bit of gravitas.

Bring back Richard Dimblebum.

NutLoose
4th Jun 2012, 16:24
Prince Philip has been admitted to hospital. :sad: not exactly good news at this time for the Queen..

BREAKING NEWS: Prince Philip rushed to hospital | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2154486/BREAKING-NEWS-Prince-Philip-rushed-hospital.html)

glojo
4th Jun 2012, 16:45
Assuming that isn't tongue in cheek, Assuming it IS Tongue In Cheek...

Putting aside your claim regarding Buckingham Palace only wanted one Official Function the Royal family have a soft spot for the Royal Navy, the Duke of Edinburgh has been graciously awarded the title of Lord High Admiral of the Navy but this iconic person is sadly not a 'spring chicken' and would this have been an ideal occasion for the Queen's Consort to review his fleet and yes I TOTALLY agree that London would be totally out of the question BUT.... Who is kidding who? How many ships could the Navy spare for such a task? Having it in the Thames was a tongue in cheek comment but if we had the ships then why not have it in Plymouth or perish the thought Torbay? The bottom line however is that it would be plain embarrassing to have to admit there is NO fleet to review. The Royal Navy is beyond being overstretched and we are now relying on Royal Fleet Auxiliary ships manned by civilians to carry out the duties of frigates (http://navaltoday.com/2012/01/23/british-royal-fleet-auxiliary-ship-rfa-fort-rosalie-to-visit-grenada/) that have had to be deployed elsewhere.

Nice to see the Royal Barge taking part in that wonderful ceremony but would Her Majesty the Queen or the Lord High Admiral of the Navy wear blooming life jackets when they were on the Royal Barge??? I cringed when I saw those old salts wearing life jackets!! When the Royal Yacht came to Torbay and that barge had to ferry the Royal party ashore, the boat was a rocking, the waves were a splashing, come hell or high water the boat's crew stood to attention like the men they were and not a life jacket to be seen!!.

I am fully aware that the crew yesterday were all ex 'Yachties' but I would have told the Health and Safety clowns to stuff their rules where the Sun does not shine!! Life Jackets indeed.

I do understand your point about the Thames and of course the remark was Tongue in Cheek but your comment about the biggest ship that could get up to the Pool of London is a Type 23 frigate and then go on to talk about it possibly tying up alongside the Belfast a ship easily in excess of twice the weight of that class of ship did make me think about what you claimed, but I am NOT talking about a 'Fleet Review' in the Thames... It was tongue in cheek as is my suggestion that the Royal Navy could probably use my swimming pool to hold a Review!!

Sadly I have just heard the news about Prince Philip the Duke of Edinburgh being admitted to King Edward VII Hospital, my thoughts and my prayers are with him and Her Majesty.

Best wishes
John

Jimlad1
4th Jun 2012, 16:52
"I cringed when I saw those old salts wearing life jackets!!"

I agree - however, as was eloquently explained to me by Port of London, everyone, no matter how salty, was required to wear a life jacket. The reason is because they had real worries that had someone gone overboard without one during the pageant, then due to the sheer number of boats in the water, any rescue operation could have ended in tragedy.
Think putting well meaning man overboard recovery drills into place to get someone drowning in the river, and then causing a pile up, which in turn could easily have caused multiple collisions as people moved to avoid the accident. Lifejackets would have meant people stood a chance of floating, and giving RNLI vital seconds to get in and save them.
I saw multiple senior RN officers briefed on this, and go from 'what sort of nappy wetting loser wears a life jacket on the Thames' to 'very sensible measure, even if it looks gash' when they understood how much could have gone very badly wrong had someone fallen in without one.

As for the comments ref Belfasts size. Have you ever seen a T23 alongside Belfast? The two hulls are of near identical height and width, and Belfast is only about 30m longer than a 23. Its not the tonnage thats the issue, its the problem of dimensions.
T45s cant go through tower bridge without knocking the top off their radars, and that would definitely leave the UK at risk of golfball attack :E

glojo
4th Jun 2012, 17:02
Totally agree with ALL your excellent and very valid points but the Senior Service rules the waves (without blooming life jackets) :ok::ok: I would have simply sated NO Royal Navy sailor would fall into the water, BUT if they were to slip then they would walk on its surface.

I bet NO ONE dared to request the Lord High Admiral put on a life jacket!! ;);)

NutLoose
4th Jun 2012, 17:17
Or even The Queen, Prince Philip, or indeed anyone on the Royal Barge.

glojo
4th Jun 2012, 18:06
When Sir Winston Churchill past away the funeral took place on an absolutely freezing cold January morning. The order of the day came down that the dress would be great coat and gloves. The Royal Navy politely declined to wear winter rig which would have been for the sailors blue sea jerseys and great coats. Instead they wore the much smarter summer white fronts and no great coat. The Army and the Junior service insisted it would be full winter clothing as it was indeed EXTREMELY cold and the men could not be expected to stand out in the freezing cold wearing summer rig!

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/3844/PreviewComp/SuperStock_3844-465637.jpg

A man has to do what a man has to do and Cometh the Hour, Cometh the Man.

A real Naval Officer would have stood up and very politely declined the offer of those embarrassing life jackets and whilst I am in full moan mode should the coxswain have been wearing a jacket and tie! :*:ok: The Yachties had a unique uniform which was different from that worn by General Service sailors which makes me suspect that it was quite possible the full uniforms might not have been available? (question for Jim)

high spirits
4th Jun 2012, 21:28
Ladies and Gents.

'Madness' on top of Buckingham Palace playing 'Our House'.

Best thing about the jubilee so far by a country mile.

glojo
4th Jun 2012, 21:40
I got a bit of dust in my eye when Her Majesty joined the party.. TOTAL respect and admiration for this iconic lady.

Long may she reign over us

St Barbaras Son
4th Jun 2012, 22:30
I'm sure it was just me, but whilst the fireworks were going, was buckingham palace lit up with the french flag?:confused:

CoffmanStarter
5th Jun 2012, 07:03
No ... It was RW&B illumination ... the French Flag is BW&R as viewed left to right :)

A2QFI
5th Jun 2012, 07:04
Hear Hear! The Queen is one tough lady and dedicated to her life's work. I am not a dyed in the wool Royalist in that I am not totally at ease with the idea of inherited dynastic power. However one cannot fault Her Majesty's performance of the duties to which she has dedicated the last 60 years of her life.

A2QFI
5th Jun 2012, 07:47
Courtesy of Facebook BTW

https://vimeo.com/42532129

NutLoose
5th Jun 2012, 09:13
No ... It was RW&B illumination ... the French Flag is BW&R as viewed left to right

As worn by one of the first VC10's painted under civil contract :E took a week before it was noticed.

parabellum
5th Jun 2012, 10:39
I rather fear that if you went to the BBC for a job interview and mentioned you had served in the military, were interested in all such matters and history was your hobby you would be shown the door immediately, the only saving grace that might prolong the interview a few more minutes would be if you told them you were gay, (whilst they got your 'phone number).

WHBM
5th Jun 2012, 12:52
....the BBC for a job interview ....... if you told them you were gay, (whilst they got your 'phone number).
I think this is grossly inaccurate, there's no need to exchange phone numbers because the bulk of those at the BBC already knew one another beforehand through university (not just Oxbridge, but the right college there), a flat share in Islington, someone met at the Edinburgh Fringe, or membership of some sector of the Green Party.

Written while sat here watching further wiffle-waffle. Richard Dimbleby must be turning in his grave.

airsound
5th Jun 2012, 13:15
Been watching the metoff 15-min rainfall radar - it's going to be touch and go.....

Fingers crossed for at least one flypast this weekend.

Plan is for DC3 + 2 King Airs, Lancaster + 4 Spits and a Hurricane, Reds

airsound

Captain Radar....
5th Jun 2012, 13:19
Great shame the RN flypast on Sunday couldn't go ahead, fingers crossed the RAF can get theirs in! Anyone know what the conditions are over London at the moment? All I can find is a forecast of rain but no gen on cloudbase.
Are we going to be on a cliff hanger waiting for a scrub?

Exascot
5th Jun 2012, 13:25
2012/06/05 12:50 eglc 051250z 20013kt 9999 bkn035 15/06 q1014

Climebear
5th Jun 2012, 13:28
Fine performance by the Royal Air Force route liners and band.

But, why don't the members of the constabulary salute Her Majesty anymore?

(Mot those facing the crowd, but many others who just watched as Her Majesty passed).

Captain Radar....
5th Jun 2012, 13:33
Thanks exascot. I'll switch the telly on................

Exascot
5th Jun 2012, 13:38
No telly, just cold beer, clear blue sea and sky here. A few seagulls flying by!

Aileron Drag
5th Jun 2012, 13:39
I'm sitting here in Southampton watching the rain. I've been looking forward to seeing the Reds at 1820 today, but it's looking grim.

Do any of you guys know at what stage a display will be scrubbed, and whether it's possible to find out in advance?

airsound
5th Jun 2012, 13:47
Aileron, if you've got Red 10 on the ground with you, he'll know, and will announce it. If he is there, his job is to act as the ground weather (and other things!) watcher, and so when he's there, they can go up to the last minute before cancelling, unless it's very obvious earlier.

I'm sure they'll be very keen not to cancel.

Looking at the rainfall radar again, you might have the odd gap by 1820!

airsound

Finningley Boy
5th Jun 2012, 14:04
Jimlad - always good to get a post from someone who knows what he's talking about - especially on a predominantly aircrew forum where most of us dont know much more about ships except that the pointy end is called the bow (I think )

Tankertrashnav,

You're quite correct, I, as one of the few non-aircrew contributors to pprune, likely know more about Ships then. I understand that the length of a ship is known as the plank. Hence the expression "walk the plank"! Also, I believe the stern refers to the Master at Arms and the Golden Rivet holds the whole lot together as one!:ok:

jimgriff
5th Jun 2012, 14:32
well done one and all- bang on time!

EdVFX
5th Jun 2012, 14:39
Well done to the Reds, banking directly over London SW6. Impressive as ever.

airsound
5th Jun 2012, 14:41
I second that, jimg, brilliantly done in what must have been marginal wx.

What a relief.....

And even the BBC seemed to have pulled itself together.

Altogether, a great day

airsound

SpringHeeledJack
5th Jun 2012, 14:45
Well done to the Reds, banking directly over London SW6. Impressive as ever.

Ditto, and still low level and in formation. Anyone know where they were headed after The Mall?

sitigeltfel
5th Jun 2012, 14:47
Missus wanted to watch the ITV presentation, who screwed up the flypast coverage. The camera lingered too long on the Dakota and King Airs and only caught the Spitfires and Hurricanes after they had passed over :ugh:

They managed to get the Reds OK though.

PPRuNe Pop
5th Jun 2012, 14:55
Great stuff - and the Reds flew a NINE ship formation! Not a SEVEN as expected.

airsound
5th Jun 2012, 14:57
Pop, I think the plan is to fly nine-ships (inc Red 10 and Wg Cdr I suspect) for the big flypasts, but seven-ships for displays.

airsound

PPRuNe Pop
5th Jun 2012, 15:03
Hadn't heard that, but good to see. Thanks.

Farns744
5th Jun 2012, 15:26
Only a pity they didn't fly as a Diamond 9.

johnnypaveway
5th Jun 2012, 15:28
Mrs JPW and Master JPW..........check
Fortnum's Champagne and Nibbles........check
Unobstructed view of Whitehall..........check

RAF Street Liners, QCS and Central Band...........absolutely spot-on
Achieving a superb flypast in marginal wx (when the RN didn't) priceless!

(banter only- RM Band and Mr Barker on top form)

Per Ardua ad Astra.....great time to work in Cer. :-)

FODPlod
5th Jun 2012, 16:00
...Achieving a superb flypast in marginal wx (when the RN didn't) priceless!..

I don't think it was the rain that prevented the Stringbag-led flypast so much as the low ceiling seen obscuring most of the Shard on the TV coverage. However, I still liked this contribution to the letters page (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/9311033/The-Diamond-Jubilee-pageant-on-the-Thames-was-marred-by-the-BBCs-lightweight-coverage.html) of today's Telegraph:

SIR – On Sunday, the Swordfish flypast was cancelled because it was raining.

In my day, on the Arctic convoy runs to Russia, we flew off in 60-knot snowstorms in the night, with the ship pitching 20 to 30ft, and rolling 20 to 30 degrees, and we didn’t have a river such as the Thames to navigate by.

Lt-Cdr Bob Selley RNR (retd)
Exeter, Devon

robin
5th Jun 2012, 16:04
Would have been good to see the Stringbag fly through Tower Bridge. :D

ShyTorque
5th Jun 2012, 16:42
SIR – On Sunday, the Swordfish flypast was cancelled because it was raining.
In my day, on the Arctic convoy runs to Russia, we flew off in 60-knot snowstorms in the night, with the ship pitching 20 to 30ft, and rolling 20 to 30 degrees, and we didn’t have a river such as the Thames to navigate by.
Lt-Cdr Bob Selley RNR (retd)
Exeter, Devon

But that was in a war situation and there were plenty more "Stringbags" where his came from. He was expendable so more level of risk was acceptable.

Now there is only one Swordfish.

The Lt-Cdr (retd) has probably never flown over London, doesn't understand the rules appertaining and he certainly didn't have high rise buildings to worry about flying at low level over the sea.

Sheesh, why am I defending the Navy....must be getting soft in my old age :O

Aileron Drag
5th Jun 2012, 16:54
Thanks to airsound for the earlier post. It's 1745, and the local paper has announced online that the Reds have cancelled the Southampton display.

With a cloud-base of 100 feet, I respect their decision.

I did a staff continuation training trip in a Venture motor-glider with a bloke on a ground tour who 'normally' drove a Tornado. He did a stall-turn, in cloud, with a turn & slip, ASI, and altimeter for reference. However, we were one aeroplane. It's a bit much asking the Reds to formate seven aircraft in IMC!

Genstabler
5th Jun 2012, 16:56
Only a pity they didn't fly as a Diamond 9.
They did the muster flypast over Windsor as a diamond 9. This time the big battle covered more sky and had much more visual impact coming up the Mall.
I believe that the two extra pilots making up the 9 for flypasts this season are Red 8 (Dave Davis) and Red 10 (Mike Ling), not the Wg Cdr RAFAT.

foldingwings
5th Jun 2012, 17:12
A2QFI,

inherited dynastic power

Forgive me, but just what power does Her Majesty have? She is surely just our Head of State who has an ear for the Prime Minister of the day once a week when she may choose to exchange views with him!

She has no power to speak of but, that aside, she is worth all the Prime Ministers and Presidents across the Globe together!

Long may she reign over us indeed!

Foldie;)

500N
5th Jun 2012, 17:17
Interesting photo in the Telegraph of the 9 ship Reds from above over Buckingham Palace. Not something I have seen before.

h ttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/

November4
5th Jun 2012, 17:25
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/421416_10150951310644885_1046402489_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/554698_10150951306964885_839104709_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205377_10150951304609885_571978444_n.jpg

From the RAF FaceBook pages

airsound
5th Jun 2012, 17:28
Wow, thanks for those, 4Nov - amazing station-keeping by the Hurricane.....

airsound