PDA

View Full Version : Harry Chang DC3 & Lloyds Int & Macedonian Aviation

Roger BBCAir
19th Feb 2012, 11:47
I am trying to trace a former captain - Harry Chang who was with Lloyds International and then set up the Dove and DC3 operations for Macedonian Aviation at Southend in the 1970s. He rescued a party of 30 British wedding guests from Beirut airport in the DC3 G-AMPO which he flew out of Gatwick via Brindisi following the massacre of the Israeli athletes in Munich in 1972. Beirut airport came under fire from Israeli aircraft but he managed to land and flew the rescued party to Nicosia where celebrations continued in the Dome hotel Kyrenia in Cyprus.

BALLSOUT
19th Feb 2012, 12:35
Sounds like the Henry Chang who was at Gill Aviation in the late 80's up in Newcastle, flying and training on the shed. He had been with Short Bros before that and went on to fly F27's out of Lyd around 1990. I don't know where he went after that but He must be a fair age now.

Roger BBCAir
19th Feb 2012, 16:19
Thanks - Gill Aviation seems to ring a bell. As you say Harry would be a fair age now as I was given to understand he joined the RAF post war in Hong Kong and and was flying Spitfires for a while. Hopefully someone may know what finally happened to Harry.