PDA

View Full Version : Flying EK UK-Aus - A Few Questions

PositiveClimbGearUp
19th Feb 2012, 01:25
Hi there

Later this year I will be flying from NCL to BNE, and Emirates is looking like my preferred option at the moment, but I'm after a bit of advice from anyone who has flown a similar route recently.

The first leg is quite obviously NCL-DXB, and my preferred onward connection is a direct flight to BNE (direct in as much as it has the same flight number throughout but has a scheduled stop in Changi/SIN).

Returning, there is the option of a direct non-stop flight BNE-DXB which connects quite conveniently to the DXB-NCL service, however I am considering travelling back from SYD rather than BNE. My preferred flight SYD-DXB is again 'direct' but with a stop at Suvarnabhum/BKK.

Part of my reasons for choosing flights with a 'stop' (I don't believe 'stopover' is the correct word to use here as the flights are 'direct' in aviation terms) is because, as a smoker, I'm hoping for the chance to grab a quick puff or two halfway through the long flight.

So, what I'm asking is:

- What is the procedure when a 'direct' flight involves a stop like this? Is it a change of plane, and if not, are through-pax expected to, or indeed allowed to, disembark and wait in the terminal?
- The wait at SIN and BKK in both cases is about 90 minutes - is this enough time to comfortably find the nearest smoking area (assuming there is one in the transit area), grab my fix and then be on time to board the plane again?
- If anyone has any specific up-to-date information about whether these specific airports have smoking areas airside it would be appreciated.

Apologies if there are existing threads that answer my questions - a search didn't bring up anything specific, and I'm also aware that things are changing all the time. I know there are other air travel forums that these type of queries would be more suited to, but I thought I would ask here first seeing as I am a member.

All this 'stressing' for the sake of a cigarette, eh? Still, I'm hoping there are other 'filthy creatures' like myself out there who can sympathise!

spannersatcx
19th Feb 2012, 04:59
You could look at the airport websites they usually provide this sort of info.

Pom Pax
19th Feb 2012, 18:01
Limited open air smoking areas in Sin, one a roof top garden area (not much cover if it rains), another near Silver Kris lounge is a dingy room outside of the air-con system with the outside wall 2/3rds glass top 1/3 open.
No smoking areas inside the terminal at Suvarnabhum any longer. However there are notices apologising for the closure of the smoking rooms and blaming Gov. regulations!

Edit:- This was the smoker's experiences on 29th Jan. 2012.

PAXboy
19th Feb 2012, 18:08
Haven't done that particular routing. Some of them do force you off so that they can clean the a/c properly and to avoid accusations of DVT!! On other stops I have experienced - continuing pax stay on. Ask the airline but don't expect the booking agent to know! Try an email, and hope that someone here can answer you.

Paulok
20th Feb 2012, 12:11
Avoid the BKK routing unless you intend to stop for a couple of days. They march you down to transit security where you have to queue and then straight back to the gate where they confiscate any 'liquids' you may have in your carry on luggage. Its a total farce and you will not get time to stop for a smoke ;-}
I do this route regularly to NZ and if you can get non stop to BNE and SYD do it. Avoid Singapore or Thailand unless you are intending to visit for several days.

pwalhx
20th Feb 2012, 12:31
Last month I was on the Dubai to Hong Kong flight that stopped in Bangkok en route, we stayed on the plane. I dont recall being offered the option to get off. Tip for you if you do remain on board they will check your baggage and ask for your boarding card so keep it handy.

Anansis
20th Feb 2012, 16:34
Last month I was on the Dubai to Hong Kong flight that stopped in Bangkok en route, we stayed on the plane. I dont recall being offered the option to get off.Correct. I fly this route regularly and passengers flying 'direct' are not allowed to leave the plane (security staff check all departing pax on the jet bridge). Apparently, flights to New Zealand are the only exception to this rule. I was once told by an EK pilot that this is because NZs civil aviation regulations demand that all arriving passengers are screened before every takeoff.

You could try booking your flights using the 'multiple destinations' tool. Choose an itinerary which includes a change of planes in Bangkok. As long as your connecting flight departs within 24 hours of your arrival, the booking system shouldn't charge you a premium for stopping over. As Paulok writes, immigration and security at BKK can be a bit hit and miss at times but if you leave at least 4 hours you should have plenty of time to get airside, stretch your legs and get back through security (although I would recommend leaving more time and exploring Bangkok, especially if you've never been before).

PositiveClimbGearUp
22nd Feb 2012, 04:00
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

From what's been said, I'll either opt to break my journey in SIN for a few hours if there are suitable flight connections (the timings I've seen weren't attractive as they involved an overnight stop which I'm trying to avoid) or fly on a non-stop direct DXB-BNE if the waiting time at DXB isn't too long. I don't need the farce of changing planes without the chance to stretch my legs or have a fag and I certainly don't want stuck on the plane while it sits on the apron for 90 mins just lengthening the journey!

I might even quit smoking before June. Yeah, right!

givemewings
24th Feb 2012, 14:04
Coorect, at least on the BKK-HKG EK sectors, transit pax stay onboard. (BKK airport rule)

My advice, take some Nicorette patches and/or gum. We do not supplyit (much to the outrage of some passengers- really!) and for the love of all that is holy please PLEASE do not do as one guy did to me a few months ago and try to hang out the open (catering) door to try have a smoke!

Took a few years off my life that one did!! :eek:

Seja
7th Mar 2012, 16:15
I agree, avoid BKK. In Singapore all passengers have to disembark the plane, and the smoking area (the before mentioned rooftop bar) is within short walking distance. If you want to fly back from Syd, take the direct flight!

spannersatcx
7th Mar 2012, 18:26
Go NCL to LHR on BA then between T5 to T3, to get CX to HKG, you can have a fag. When transiting HKG you can have a fag before getting CX to BNE. :ok:

PositiveClimbGearUp
8th Mar 2012, 00:07
Thanks for the further advice. I've actually decided to travel via LHR, but then travelling on Qantas via SIN. Convenient stopover times at SIN, and I get to travel on an A380! And cheaper than EK.

And a fag or two at SIN to boot!

PositiveClimbGearUp
31st Jan 2013, 00:39
Hi

Very successful flights last year on the Qantas A380 LHR-SIN. Unfortunately the new routing isn't ideal for me so I've decided to use EK this year.

Just one quick question which will affect the route I book. On the DXB-BNE service that stops at SIN, can anyone confirm that through pax disembark? If so, flight looks ideal for a quick stretch of my legs; if not, I'll be flying on the non-stop or via PER.

Any current info would be appreciated, thanks.

ExXB
31st Jan 2013, 09:12
It looks like you've quit smoking! Congratulations!

PositiveClimbGearUp
1st Feb 2013, 19:54
Thanks ExXB, but unfortunately I haven't. But I got through the flights quite comfortable with the help of nicotine lozenges and an e-cig!

PaulSLF
1st Feb 2013, 21:34
My only experience of this kind of stop was with KLM on a Taipei to Amsterdam flight that briefly stopped at BKK. The process here is, quite frankly, a bit farcical, in that on landing at BKK you are required to leave all possessions on board, exit the aircraft, proceed through a security check and return to a boarding gate to immediately reboard.

In the case of KLM there was no aircraft change, and with no opportunity to leave the immediate terminal area it is unlikely you will have chance to smoke.

As most of the pax on this flight were AMS bound all this did was inconvenience those flying on and increase the workload of the Thai security staff.

I am interested in this thread, as I shall possibly be doing an Australia trip later this year, and will no doubt use EK, but from BHX.

PAXboy
2nd Feb 2013, 00:32
PCGU You mention 'e-cig', I am not a smoker but others here might be interested in your experience. Presuembly this was in a terminal building?

PositiveClimbGearUp
2nd Feb 2013, 02:13
Paul, last year I flew from LHR to Brisbane, changing flights at SIN as the LHR flight was flying on to Melbourne or Sydney. I did notice that all pax on the flight disembarked, regardless of whether or not they were re boarding the same plane an hour or so later. Someone indicated above that this is usual practice at SIN, possibly on several airlines.

PAXboy, I've mentioned the e-cig situation in other threads, and several members here have debated airline policy and the rights and wrongs of using them in flight. My understanding is that the primary reason some airlines prohibit their use is that a pax openly 'vaping' will cause non-smokers to think he/she is smoking, and cause fellow smokers to want to light up cigarettes. There may or may not be safety concerns as well, particularly with custom/modified 'inhalators'.

I placed the dismantled e-cig (a standard over-the counter) model in a see-through plastic bag along with my phone etc when passing through security. This was only questioned on my return journey through LHR, and merely 'Is that an electronic cigarette?' 'Yes' 'Ah I see, no problem'.

As for using it in flight, I was able to do so discreetly in my seat and in the lavatory. There is no exhaled vapour if inhaled a certain way. I'm not condoning or endorsing such actions, merely stating I was able to do so without inconveniencing fellow pax or crew, and to an addict like myself, this was a bloody lifesaver.

givemewings
2nd Feb 2013, 19:59
FYI, if you fly EK, e-cigs not permitted at any time. At one stage there was something going around about them being banned in the UAE, but I can't find the reference now.

Whether the crew see you or not is not the issue, T&Cs you agree to on buying the ticket state pax will obey all placards and crew instructions, ergo, no e-cigs or cigarettes.

Been getting a lot of grief from pax over it recently, seems e-cigs are the new mobile phones!! ;)

PositiveClimbGearUp
2nd Feb 2013, 20:55
I take your point, Wings. Is there likely to be an issue carrying them through security at DXB though? I use them all the time, and carrying them in hand baggage is advised by the airlines.

givemewings
3rd Feb 2013, 07:16
No worries...

Couldn't find anything concrete online, but I know that EK told us awhile back they were banned... there's articles online saying that shipments of them have been seized at Dubai Customs, however those were multiples.

A few pax recently were surprised to be told they were banned on EK, they also told me that they had not had any issues so far transiting so my *guess* would be if it is just one for you, it may not be an issue.

However, to be sure you could try contacting Dubai Customs directly.

I too would like to know for sure so I can give pax the correct info.

ExXB
3rd Feb 2013, 08:03
I found this (http://www.moh.gov.ae/en/News/Pages/NewsDetails617.aspx) on the UAE government web-site which includes:The e-cigarette was banned in the UAE two years ago though in some GCC countries, it is available on prescription

It also appears from this that other tobacco products are also banned.

givemewings
3rd Feb 2013, 11:05
I did see that, issue is many things which may be banned for importation for sale are alloweduallowedunder certain circumstances... so it doesn't mention about pax in transit. Personally I would err on the side of caution...

PositiveClimbGearUp
4th Feb 2013, 03:38
Thanks. I would hope that one 'battery' and a few tips should get through DXB transit OK, but I will check it out.

Just to try and get clarification of my original question, I am led to believe that all paz are required to disembark at SIN, even if travelling on wards on the same plane/flight number. Can anyone confirm?

vfenext
6th Feb 2013, 06:46
This complete thread could easily be eliminated by a simple call to the EK staff at NCL airport. They are one of the friendliest on the network and would be happy to answer all you questions. I suggest you give them a call and get your info first hand instead of relying of previous experience from others.

PositiveClimbGearUp
6th Feb 2013, 22:34
To be fair, I have spoken to Emirates Customer Services who gave me conflicting information to that of people who have flown this and similar routes. That was only in the last few days, since I resurrected this thread.

I am more inclined to trust the reliability of information received from pax who have used this airline/airport, than that received from the airline staff sitting at the other side of the globe - no matter how friendly and helpful they may be.

givemewings
8th Feb 2013, 12:23
Just to let you know... I called Dubai customs to ask the question about e-cig (I want to know once and for all)

Went something like this...

"Hello can you please tell me if e-cigs are banned for transit pax into DXB?"
"One moment madam...... I will check"...
*Hold music*
50mins on speakerphone
Other end hangs up

Sorry, no more enlightened than I was the other day. Tried though! Lol. Maybe email will have better results...? Ground staff give me different answers as well....

ExXB
8th Feb 2013, 22:05
I would be very careful without a definitive Ok. The Emeratis are well known for enforcing their laws to passengers in Transit.

Hotel Tango
9th Feb 2013, 06:38
Suppose best bet is to go to the loo and quietly have your e-cig there. Or does it emit smoke? (non smoker so don't have experience with e-cigs).

PositiveClimbGearUp
10th Feb 2013, 05:08
Wings, that echoes my experiences calling certain authorities!

HT, e-cigs can emit a vapour that looks a bit like smoke (think of seeing your breath on a cold day) but it doesn't linger like smoke does. However, they can be 'smoked' a certain way to avoid any visible vapour. Many, many people 'vape' (the technical word for taking a puff of your e-cig) in areas where smoking tobacco is banned - though if an airline specifically forbids it, then so be it.

Whether security have the right to confiscate a single 'battery' (think of the 'stem' of a cigarette) and half a dozen 'tips' (think of a cigarette's filter tip) is debatable. If in transit, then there's no attempt to take them into the country where they are banned. I believe they are banned in Australia (ie cannot be sold there) but I had no issues taking them into Oz or on several internal flights there.

ExXB
10th Feb 2013, 08:28
Google Poppy Seeds +Dubai. If they are unhappy they won't just confiscate your fixings, you may be arrested. I'm not saying that it likely to occur, but you need to be carefulbringing something into their country that is illegal.

Huyin
11th Feb 2013, 13:34
PCGU
Just returned (7th Feb) via EK BNE/SIN/DXB. Also routed outbound same way & can confirm all transit pax have to disembark at SIN whilst aircraft is cleaned , catered & fueled & new crew embark. Transit stop is around 90 mins but boarding recommences at around -45.
Should fit the bill?
Huyin

PositiveClimbGearUp
12th Feb 2013, 14:38
Thanks Huyin - that basically confirms what others have told me, including Qantas. Only Emirates gave conflicting info!

Now I just hope they don't confiscate my e-cig at DXB!

vfenext
12th Feb 2013, 15:09
These devices are banned in Dubai so the info about people bringing them to any country where they are not allowed is more a case of getting away with it than anything else. As a transit pax you are unlikely to be confronted about the issue unless you need to layover for some reason. As far as using them on board, this from the EK website
All Emirates flights are non-smoking – this also includes the use of e-cigarettes. No e-cigarettes can be used on board Emirates flights.