PDA

View Full Version : ADS-B and drones

grounded27
18th Feb 2012, 05:06
Congress approves domestic deployment of surveillance drones- 30,000 could haunt skies by 2020 « Photo's, Hodgepodge and Miscellany (http://billydie.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/congress-approves-domestic-deployment-of-surveillance-drones-30000-could-haunt-skies-by-2020/)

Government and private enterprise will have clear skies for UAV's with unknown capability or intentions as the bill to expand ADS-B systems is in effect over the USA. Big brother grew larger wings...

JohnMcGhie
18th Feb 2012, 05:45
So you are saying that all I have to do is find a clapped-out DC-3, load it up with a nuke, fit it with ADS-B, clone the ADS-B from a passing drone, and I can fly it anywhere I like in the USA?

Please nobody tell Al Qaida. Ooops...

hellsbrink
18th Feb 2012, 05:48
And once the Jane-Doh type hysterics are over, we have a link or two that are definitely a bit more credible.....

U.S. Military, Industry Seek Ways To Fly Unmanned Planes Amid Civil Air Traffic | Defense News | defensenews.com (http://www.defensenews.com/article/20120127/C4ISR02/301270008/U-S-military-industry-seek-ways-fly-unmanned-planes-amid-civil-air-traffic?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp)

Congress OKs FAA bill allowing drones in U.S., GPS air traffic control - chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-congress-oks-faa-bill-allowing-drones-in-us-gps-air-traffic-control-20120207,0,3563340.story)

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Feb 2012, 06:07
Once the ATC considerations are resolved, the next one is passenger concerns..

But if the crew costs are removed, a LOLOCC will be an option....

In 5 years freighters will be unmanned, in 10 years passenger aircraft.

You heard it here first...

I wrote an unpublished short story, several years ago about unmanned passenger flights..need to see what i predicted as time frame.

glf

angelorange
18th Feb 2012, 07:50
Doubt 5 or even 10 years likely for freight or pax given the huge orders for Manned aircraft currently in place. Even Air Astana ordered 1 Billion USD worth of a/c this year.

Lima Juliet
18th Feb 2012, 15:31
I reckon more like 10 years for freight and 20+ for pax - but hey, I'm naturally cautious!

One thing, I agree that it will happen.

LJ

Lyneham Lad
18th Feb 2012, 18:43
Lots of pilot-less freight (and passenger) aircraft flying about over the Great Satan - the Iranians will be rubbing their hands in glee at the prospect... :E

;)

The B Word
18th Feb 2012, 19:11
Lyneham Lad

Have you been sniffing the shandy again? What on earth are you going on about???

Lyneham Lad
18th Feb 2012, 20:46
Have you been sniffing the shandy again? What on earth are you going on about???

No, not been sniffing anything - just wildly postulating what dinnerjackets chums might aspire to...

How Iran hijacked a US stealth drone | TG Daily (http://www.tgdaily.com/security-features/60239-how-iran-hijacked-a-us-stealth-drone) So just think what they could do with a sky full of the things in their favourite country...

old-timer
18th Feb 2012, 21:02
No worries, answer is to put Pilots back on board again ! :D

Daf Hucker
18th Feb 2012, 21:24
It's far easier to use trains without a driver, but there are very few examples around. I think it will be a long time before the public will be happy to fly on an aircraft without a pilot, or to allow unmanned large freight aircraft to overfly their homes. A brake on technological advance is frequently applied by cultural issues.

I reckon 50 years before there are regular "unmanned" commercial flights.

Lima Juliet
18th Feb 2012, 22:42
How Iran hijacked a US stealth drone | TG Daily So just think what they could do with a sky full of the things in their favourite country...

Hijack?...my arse! What do you think is the most likely cause of a single-engined aircraft coming to rest on foreign soil (or sand)? I'll give you a clue - it's not hijack...:ugh:

The B Word is right...you've been on the Top Deck!

http://www.canmuseum.com/Staging/Images/Cans/26862L.jpg

dfish
19th Feb 2012, 01:45
I want to know what these domestic drones will be looking for? How does the public feel about being spied on?

D. Fish

Lyneham Lad
19th Feb 2012, 12:23
There seem to be been irony-bypass operations carried on a couple of folk lately... Or maybe I should have plastered my post with emoticons just to be sure it was flagged.

Wwyvern
19th Feb 2012, 12:47
Regarding the time frame for pilotless aircraft, in the year in which I joined the RAF as a prospective pilot, 1957, the then-government forecast the end of manned aircraft.

This news caused the CAS, Sir Dermot Boyle as I recall, to visit to inspire us by stating that it would not affect us newly-recruited people. He did actually state that it was not beyond the imagination that the soon-to-be operational Lightning fighter would eventually take on the ground attack role. I don't know if that prediction was realised.

There are areas of aviation where unmanned aircraft will, and do, operate, but I think we should forget large aircraft carrying freight and passengers in the foreseeable future.