PDA

View Full Version : Qantas drops AKL-LAX; will EK step in?

Kamelchaser
17th Feb 2012, 15:29
Wonder if EK will finally link the globe with AKL-LAX now that QF have pulled off that route, leaving a monopoly for Air New Zealand?

Stand by for 20 day around the world patterns. Or maybe AKL basings? (fat chance!)

Iver
17th Feb 2012, 16:20
I hope so. :p:cool::ok: That way the A380 pilots (if that aircraft is used as a continuation of the A380 flights from Dubai and SYD) will get an LAX layover.

goldthop
17th Feb 2012, 17:52
Can the A380 make it eastbound from LAX to DXB without a payload hit?

Would they be granted 5th freedom rights to take local traffic from AKL (or SYD) to LAX? Otherwise who would want to fly from DXB to LAX via SYD and AKL?

Kamelchaser
18th Feb 2012, 01:34
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure EK already have 5th freedom rights AKL-LAX. otherwise there would not be any point doing it.

cerbus
18th Feb 2012, 01:41
The Americans give away their market so I am sure EK has 5th Freedom.
Can't believe the Kiwi's will allow it. That would be a death nail for ANZ.

Bypass ratio
18th Feb 2012, 03:41
A3Lately cannot make LAX - DXB. Supposedly it's on a diet for the next few years but we'll wait and see. What a piece of sh1t...! except for the bar lol
If they were gonna do the "round the world pattern" it would probably be more like:
Dubai - Sydney direct with 24 hours OFF,
Sydney - Auckland with 72 hours OFF,
Auckland - Los Angeles 48 hours OFF,
Los Angeles - Dubai

On the freighter (B77LRF) we fly Sydney direct New York every now and again with the Sheikh's horses.

EK does have 5th freedom out of NZ

three eighty
18th Feb 2012, 06:48
What a piece of sh1t...! except for the bar lol

Make up your mind dipsh1t

Bypass ratio
18th Feb 2012, 10:24
OK. Piece of ****...haha

InnocentBystander
18th Feb 2012, 11:26
It's probably more likely to do DXB-SYD-AKL-LAX-AKL-SYD-DXB as this is in the current range of the crackbus. I'm sure people would like to be able to fly back from LA as well. ;)

LAX-DXB is already very efficiently served by a 777.

falconeasydriver
18th Feb 2012, 12:18
Can't see it happening with the presently rubbish yields on the AKL-LAX sector.
If it did happen, I think it's likely to be a 777 route as it could piggy back on one of the LAX-DXB frequencies, and use 1 less airframe and crew for a better utilisation rate.