PDA

View Full Version : Part 66 A license study material.

kel247
17th Feb 2012, 12:16
Hi guys,
I am looking at going for my A licence. Can anyone recommend a good company/website to purchase some study material?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Capot
20th Feb 2012, 15:18
When you do find something, be careful to ensure it's up to date, ie fully revised no earlier than last autumn, and certified to comply with the current EASA syllabus, not less and no more.

There's a lot of out-of-date rubbish on offer.

Kengineer-130
20th Feb 2012, 18:46
Why only study for the A licence & close so many doors to yourself? The B1 is not a great deal more effort, and none of the A modules transfer to B, so you might as well go for the B1? :ok:

Alber Ratman
21st Feb 2012, 21:58
Yes, go for the B1 and the A will come with it as a backup in later life. The A modules are worthless without experience and a company approval.

shedhead
22nd Feb 2012, 10:13
As Keng and Alber said. Assuming that you only lack the experience requirements for the B1 then you should take the B1 modules anyway, the A modules can't be used for gaining a B1 but the B1 modules will get you an A license which can be used while you get the experience necessary to get the full B license. Doing both sets of modules is a waste of time and money on your part.

Kengineer-130
22nd Feb 2012, 19:17
Ok silly question here, I have all my B1 & B2 modules , but my experience date is August, can I apply for an A licence now?:confused:

shedhead
22nd Feb 2012, 20:15
I think that the answer is yes if you qualify for the shorter A license experience time.

kel247
24th Feb 2012, 18:51
Thanks for the replys.

I have been looking at 'Licence By Post', I presume that they would have to supply correctly revised/amended material, how would you check this?, do the subject contents change frequently?

I have been informed by a civil employer that if i start working through my A licence modules, I stand a good chance of of empoyment with this particular company.

I have not really looked at the B1, but having worked within the civil industry I would feel more comfitable gaining my A licence then building up my log book/experience. Then in a few years look at the B1, I have wasted 4 years doing a HND in Aerospace engineering........ I wish I would have started doing the Licence then....:uhoh:

Kengineer-130
29th Feb 2012, 13:07
Kel, as said the B1 automatically gives you an A license, you are covering approx 80% of the B course doing the A course, and you get NO credit towards your B1 for doing so!

By your location I am guessing you are Army? PM me some contact details and I will happily chat to you about all the available options, as I have just done all my B licenses after leaving the RAF.:ok:

Capot
29th Feb 2012, 14:17
Kel, as said the B1 automatically gives you an A license, you are covering approx 80% of the B course doing the A course, and you get NO credit towards your B1 for doing so!

I would say that this is an oversimplification.

The Cat A syllabus may include 80% of the items covered in the Cat B syllabus. I don't know; I would have guessed a slightly lower figure but I've never counted it.

But the real difference is that many of those items are examined/asssessed at level 2 (sometimes level 3, I think) for Cat B, and at level 1 for Cat A. Level 2 is much more demanding than Level 1, and Level 3 is a whole lot more demanding.

That's why the minimum hours for an approved Cat B Basic course is 2,400, and for a Cat A Basic course 800, including Practical and OJT. It's also why there are no credits to Cat B for completing Cat A exams.

But I agree that the Cat B is the way to go for a Service-leaver; doing Cat A is throwing away the training and experience you have under your belt, if you are in an aircraft technical trade. Cat A is for line mechanics on low pay; if that's what you want to be and stay then it's for you.

kel247
12th Mar 2012, 19:28
Thanks for the replys guys.

Kengineer130 - My location needs updating! I am in RAF and work as an SE fitter as a day job and an aircraft mechanic by weekend/evening and during some periods of leave! I used to be at lyneham too (I take it from the screen name so were you), when were you there? I was there between 02 and 05. Well done with making the jump and gaining your B licences mate. :8

Getting back to the subject matter, although I have experience on working on a range of a/c (Sikorsky S61 to A330) its only limited, so a job as a Flt line mech is the best option for me as I dont have bundles of hands on.

Capot - Would gaining an A licence render me never able to work within the Hanger/Depth Maint enviroment? Thanks for the reply mate, I appreciate your honest advice, I can see where you are coming from.

spannersatcx
12th Mar 2012, 21:02
I was there 78-81, you were probably still an egg then!