PDA

View Full Version : New & interesting concept?

vulcanised
16th Feb 2012, 16:45
or is it just more of the same repackaged?

HP pops open Z1 all-in-one workstation | Desktop Hardware | ZDNet UK (http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/desktop-hardware/2012/02/16/hp-pops-open-z1-all-in-one-workstation-40095048/)

mixture
16th Feb 2012, 16:54
Imitation is the best form of flattery.

Just HP copying iMac ideas past and present.

Apple still comes out on top.

Ancient Observer
16th Feb 2012, 16:56
Mixture, whilst I am very grateful for your work in helping us non-techie types on here, might I point out that not all of us can afford Apple's pricing?

mixture
16th Feb 2012, 17:04
How much are HP charging for that thing ? I bet it's not particularly cheap ?

Update: I see USD1899 on the press release, Apple Store is showing entry-level at USD1199.

If you want cheap, you have to go old-fashioned desktop and monitor separate.

Milo Minderbinder
16th Feb 2012, 17:30
all in one devices like this have been around for years, and virtually all suffer from the same problem : repairability

The machines are usually hard to break into if you do need to replace anything, and often the parts are non-standard i.e. motherboards with an oddball form factor, or screens which are non-standard
I've had to rebuild several similar machines (not this model though) in the past into standard boxes simply because motherboard or screen was not available, or else was only available at inflated prices. If you buy one, you run a gamble on its reliability and future reparability

Saab Dastard
16th Feb 2012, 19:36
I agree with MM about repair problems.

However, needs must when space is very tight, so I got a Lenovo ThinkCentre M71z (SNTA6UK) for one of my children, whose room is "bijou", and desk / floor space is at a premium. A laptop was tried and found wanting for the particular situation.

It has a good, basic spec. (I don't particularly want to encourage games on PCs that are primarily for schoolwork), includes built-in wifi, comes with Win 7 Pro x64, and the hard disk, memory and CPU are all upgradable, and easily accessible.

If the screen goes there's a VGA out! ;)

£455 including delivery & VAT.

SD

vulcanised
16th Feb 2012, 19:39
machines are usually hard to break into

If you read the blurb the opposite should be true of this one, where accessibility is said to be one of its features.

Don't much care for that price, especially since the dollar price usually becomes the pound price.