PDA

View Full Version : Light turboprop/light jet experience for SO entry

Idesi-15
16th Feb 2012, 14:08
Hi all,

I just wondered if anyone knew how CX view applicants from the GA side of flying in terms of being recruited as a SO in particular.

I have ~ 3,700 TT / 1,000hrs Turboprop<5.7tons / 500hrs light jets < 5.7tons. The rest from instructing.

Would this experience be considered unfavourably? I have had an application in with CX for a few years now. I usually send an update every 6-9 months.

These Turbine/Jet hours were gained in the UK with an air operator, not private owners.

Regards.

Flying Mechanic
16th Feb 2012, 16:08
i reckon u have a good chance, apply again they might snap u up.I have loads of mates in cx , some got in with only turbo prop time.

Idesi-15
18th Feb 2012, 02:51
Thanks for the reply.

The system wouldn't allow me as it recognised my name on the system.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Cheers.

IDESI-15

Harbour Dweller
18th Feb 2012, 03:14
Anyone else have any thoughts?

Why not just give them a call?

AQIS Boigu
18th Feb 2012, 03:24
Sadly applicants with your credentials used to be what CX was getting prior to 2008 - nowadays with the package on offer (substantially reduced due to the "new" housing allowance) you would be one of the few to be interested in this job/cadet ship (you wanna call yourself a cadet?).

Therefore I believe CX will invite you for an interview soon; you have to ask yourself though why they would do so and why you want to sell yourself short. There is also the risk though that you might be considered as too experienced - 20 year old naive kids will take this gig whilst experienced pilots can see the objective behind the offer.

And please keep in mind what current pilots (not necessarily CX) are telling applicants about the cost of living in HKG.

ReverseFlight
18th Feb 2012, 05:38
I have ~ 3,700 TT / 1,000hrs Turboprop<5.7tons / 500hrs light jets < 5.7tons. The rest from instructing.With that sort of experience, I expect you'll be good for sitting on your hands for 5 years with a P2X rating, occasionally punctuated by FLCHs of not more than 2000'. :{

Idesi-15
18th Feb 2012, 19:04
It doesn't bother me jumping from what I already have to going to the bottom rung of an airline. We are there to learn and I accept that it will take me a while to move upwards.

I just enjoy flying and I want to join Cathay and that's it really :)

Thanks for the comments so far.

Idesi-15

AQIS Boigu
19th Feb 2012, 11:44
Idesi-15,

CX yes...but at any price?? Your enthusiasm is appreciated but please do a bit more reading before jumping at CX.

Don't get fooled by the green tail, its history and reputation.

Roger Greendeck
23rd Feb 2012, 01:10
The website only lists entry pay level. Is there any housing or other allowances? What pay increments are there for SO?