PDA

View Full Version : Heli Pilot training vs. Airplane Pilot training

TheFirstDohrnPilot
16th Feb 2012, 12:08
Hey all. I was wondering if helicopter training is more expensive than aeroplane training? With Aeroplane training I mean, PPL all the way through to ATPL, and the equivalent for helicopter training. I have looked on the web but it's such a mixed picture I can't discern anything solid.

Thanks everybody :ok:

Camp Freddie
16th Feb 2012, 18:50
Have you noticed that the hourly rates are different ?

Bravo73
16th Feb 2012, 19:19
In very approximate terms, £50k vs £100k. :sad:

Aesir
16th Feb 2012, 19:53
Well the cost is relative!

If you calculate the fun factor then the helicopter training is actually much better deal :)

But you gotta WANT to be a helicopter pilot to make it in the business. If you are just looking for a easy way to get a cool job then look further.

Whirlygig
16th Feb 2012, 20:59
If you include an IR into the equation then helicopter training is about 3 times the cost of fixed wing.

Simple hourly rates for PPL are over twice as much as fixed wing. There is no mixed picture on the internet; that is pretty much simple fact.

Cheers

Whirls

rotorfan
17th Feb 2012, 06:12
I was a plank driver for 18 years before deciding that I simply had to learn to fly a heli. All costs included, it was right at 3 times the money of flying a rental 172. So, yes, the difference is not trivial. The fun factor is at least 3 times more, but it didn't make it any easier to pay the bill.

Like all training, the cheapest way to do it is having the money on hand so that you can fly at least 3 hours per week, continuously until completion. Flying less means more time spent to regain the proficiency of the previous flight. Because I learned on the R22 and there is warm-up and cool-down time that doesn't vary whether you fly 20 minutes or 2 hours, I chose to do 90 minute sessions, instead of the common one-hour. That way, the "wasted" warming and cooling was a lesser part of the flight. It was costing me 25 cents every 6 seconds, and my impatient young instructor used to bark, "quarter....quarter....quarter" as I would go through the checks. I finally told him to shut the hell up, they were MY quarters.

TheFirstDohrnPilot
17th Feb 2012, 17:32
Whirlygig - "If you include an IR into the equation then helicopter training is about 3 times the cost of fixed wing"

Bravo73 - "In very approximate terms, £50k vs £100k"

can someone clear up this contradiction?? haha

and rotorfan well done mate. also good on you for telling that instructor to shut the hell up, he sounds like such a prick!

cheers

ReverseFlight
18th Feb 2012, 06:11
There's no contradiction. Twice for no IR and thrice if IR included. I'd say that's about right.

In my experience, eg if you double a single piston Warrior's hourly price, you'd get a twin piston Seminole or a single piston R22. Double the price of an R22 and get an R44 with twice the seating capacity of an R22. Double the R44 and get a single turbine Bell 206. Multiply the Bell 206 four times and get a twin turbine A109. Double the A109 and get a commercial fixed wing jet type rating. You've just come full circle ...

Keep dreamin', son.

RookieCaptain
2nd Apr 2012, 20:57
It took me 60 hours to get my PPL(A) plus the costs of medical, ground exams, books and equipment. 2 years after I did my PPL(H) in 40 hours without doing all the exams, medical or having to buy many new books (only bought one). The costs work out about the same.

MartinCh
2nd Apr 2012, 22:26
RC, but you cannot compare different hours to achieve PPL in fixed wing vs rotary, with the 'full monty'. Besides, to advance in heli business, one often needs to hourbuild from basic CPL to be able to start FI rating in Europe/UK, which is another story.
Burning cash on twin heli IR is a gamble and not something can afford.

Oh, did I mention I see similarities between the airliners' self-sponsored TRs and SS ME IR(H)? Rewind to 10 years ago and heli pilots instructed for 2-3 years before having a shot at offshore jobs, in the UK.
Not necessarily so in other countries where fresh CPL holders can get into copilot seat straight away with relevant training required paid for by the company.

Neither route is cheap and both are getting worse and worse hiring prospects and eroding terms and conditions, partly due to the influx of rich kids who pay crazy amounts of money for stuff that used to be normally paid for by the company.

RookieCaptain
3rd Apr 2012, 01:15
I totally understand what you're saying and its tough out there. Let's hope the OP gets the training/job he desires.

IsiaherDey
3rd Apr 2012, 02:05
you calculate the fun factor then the helicopter training is actually much better deal

TheFirstDohrnPilot
3rd Apr 2012, 08:23
MartinCh, I hear what you're saying. I also agree with your point about the rich kids. Someone once said to me that, getting the training/job you want is not so much down to talent any longer, but how deep your pockets are! That's very sad to hear and as my pockets aren't so well lined (trying to avoid the cliche of having just fluff and a button), it's not looking good out there, as you guys mentioned.
Thank you RookieCaptain, appreciate that

Makila2a
4th Apr 2012, 22:08
First, from your age I'm assuming your trying to decide on your future career? Would this be correct??

If this is the case, my advice would be to join one of our armed services and get your training paid for. I wish I had when I was 17, now I am too old, mortgaged & paying for life, and the dream of flying has come and gone. Maybe it will return one day, but now I don't know if I could stomach the £50k minimum for the possibility of not getting a job at the end of training.

Just my two pence worth :)

TheFirstDohrnPilot
5th Apr 2012, 09:56
Makila2a, you're right, that is exactly the stage I am at.
I have thought about that, and I wrote to the RAF asking them about that kinda stuff, but I never got a reply. I think before I could retire and do something else I would have to do at least three tours of duty, and I don't really fancy it. The armed services are cutting thousands of jobs like everyone else and therefore it would be difficult to get a place there anyway... On the other hand maybe I'm being a bit cynical and I eventually need to take the plunge... :E

Thanks

Makila2a
5th Apr 2012, 11:29
Get yourself to Aberdeen and talk to the chaps in the careers offices, see what's on offer at the moment. Take things one step at a time, if you apply and don't get in anywhere, you can then always go back to thinking about civilian training.

If you are lucky enough to be accepted, and get to fly heli's, you'll come out the other side with bags of experience and be in a better position for the more interesting jobs in the UK, EMS, SAR etc.