PDA

View Full Version : unused uk airports/airfields

stab3.5up
15th Feb 2012, 09:56
Does anyone know how many airports/airfields are available in the uk and ireland that could facilitate scheduled air services but at the moment do not.

i only ask as i wonder if wr are in the uk maximising the potential that may be there.

I am not intetested in the economic pros and cons of establishing air services really just what airports etc are out there that COULD.

LEEDS APPROACH
15th Feb 2012, 11:59
Durham castle / thornaby on tees international

LEEDS APPROACH
15th Feb 2012, 12:01
Sheffield donny and barnsley robin and his merry men SKYHARBOUR

NorthSouth
15th Feb 2012, 12:20
Durham and Doncaster both have scheduled services. The question was which airports don't but could. I'd suggest Carlisle, Hawarden, Cambridge, Coventry, Shoreham and Swansea are probably the only ones. All of these (except Hawarden?) have had schedules in the past.
NS

Dave Gittins
15th Feb 2012, 12:26
Hawarden used to have a flight to Liverpool by British Eagle 1 -11 ... it took about 6 minutes and cost 10 /-. I think it dropped in on the way to/from Heathrow or Gatwick.

You could add Biggin to the list. What are the criteria for "could facilitate scheduled air services but at the moment do not." capable of taking a 737 or a BN-2 ?

Mike Tee
15th Feb 2012, 12:32
That is a joke isn't it, "Thornaby on Tees" disappeared under a shopping centre 40 years ago.

jabird
15th Feb 2012, 12:36
As said on another thread - OEM (Oxford Endeavour Morse) - has a Jersey charter, won't mention the V word!

Biggin Hill & Northolt take small stuff, but afaik planning restrictions, rather than airfield constraints prevent them from actually operating flights.

If you came in with a rescue package, Plymouth is awaiting a future use.

LEEDS APPROACH
15th Feb 2012, 12:42
Mike Tee,

if you are going to talk about areas being covered by shopping centres you really should be on the Durham thread.;)

codpiece face
15th Feb 2012, 13:14
RAE Bedford

eastern wiseguy
15th Feb 2012, 14:17
RAF Northolt...

LN-KGL
15th Feb 2012, 14:33
Used or unused airfields - using former airfields for raising turkeys seems to be a popular second use like at Wendling and Cockthorpe

Cockthorpe, United Kingdom - Google Maps (http://maps.google.no/maps?q=Cockthorpe,+United+Kingdom&hl=no&ll=52.943699,0.958085&spn=0.000026,0.027874&sll=52.698546,0.830283&sspn=0.021976,0.055747&oq=Cockthorpe&hnear=Cockthorpe,+Norfolk,+Storbritannia&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=52.938159,0.958339&panoid=23vtavtW02M8kLgh3uJ7gA&cbp=12,205.15,,0,7.9)

The SSK
15th Feb 2012, 14:47
In theory, antwhere that a Twin Otter could fly into our out of, seeing as you are not intetested (?) in the economic pros and cons. Hundreds of places.

In the years that I've been around and about, far, far more airports/fields have dropped out of the scheduled network (or have come and gone) than have been added to it.

stab3.5up
15th Feb 2012, 15:16
Im kinda thinking more along the lines of an underused resource.

Flypuppy
15th Feb 2012, 15:24
Prestwick, Campbeltown, Carlisle, Coventry...

willy wombat
15th Feb 2012, 15:48
Farnborough, Dunsfold

scr1
15th Feb 2012, 16:00
broadford isle of skye, plockton

highwideandugly
15th Feb 2012, 16:14
Every UK airport(ex.Heathrow) unless this government changes its policy,outlook and taxation!!!

Barling Magna
15th Feb 2012, 16:14
Until April, Southend falls into the underused resource category, but hopefully it will repay the considerable investment it has received once EZY start services. Swansea, Carlisle, Cambridge, Coventry, Lydd, Manston are all underused; Durham Tees Valley is struggling. Plymouth needs resuscitation....

TDK mk2
15th Feb 2012, 16:39
Upper Heyford; run HS2 through it and you've got an airport for the south of England with links to London and Birmingham in about 25 mins, and the M40 nice and handy. Better not ask the locals tho...

ConstantFlyer
15th Feb 2012, 17:44
..how many airports/airfields are available in the uk and ireland that could facilitate scheduled air services but at the moment do not?

stab3.5up I agree that this is all about maximising potential for scheduled air services. There are plenty of existing runways all over the UK and Ireland, but whether or not they are in the right place is, as you say, down to the economic pros and cons.

I'd split them into four categories of potential: Intercontinental (eg widebody to NYC or DXB), European (eg 737 to Canaries/Cyprus), Regional (eg E90 to Spain/Poland), and Local (eg ATR to DUB/AMS or domestic).

Intercontinental
MoD Boscombe Down (Wiltshire)
Bristol Filton - sadly recently closed - once had OLT service to Toulouse
RAF Brize Norton (Oxfordshire)
Bruntingthorpe (Leicestershire)
RAF Coningsby (Lincolnshire)
RAF Fairford (Gloucestershire)
Farnborough (Hampshire)
RAF Honington (Norfolk)
RAF Kinloss (Scotland)
RAF Lakenheath (Suffolk)
RAF Leeming (Yorkshire)
RAF Leuchars (Scotland)
Llanbedr (West Wales)
RAF Lossiemouth (Scotland)
RAF Lyneham - due to close
RAF Marham (Norfolk)
RAF Mildenhall (Suffolk)
RAF Scampton (Lincolnshire)
RAF Waddington (Lincolnshire)
Warton (Preston)
Wattisham (Suffolk)
RAF Wittering (Lincolnshire)
Woodford (Cheshire) - sadly recently closed
RAF Wyton (Cambridgeshire)
RNAS Yeovilton (Somerset)

European
Baldonnel (Dublin)
RAF Barkston Heath (Lincolnshire)
Cambridge
Carlisle
Chalgrove (Oxfordshire)
RM Chivenor (Devon)
RAF Church Fenton (Yorkshire)
Coventry
RAF Cranwell (Lincolnshire)
RNAS Culdrose (Cornwall)
RAF Dishforth (Yorkshire)
Hawarden (nr. Chester) - used to have OLT Toulouse service
Kemble (Gloucestershire)
RAF Linton-on-Ouse (Yorkshire)
RAF Odiham (Hampshire)
North Weald (Essex)

Regional
RAF Benson (Oxfordshire)
Biggin Hill
Cranfield (Bedfordshire)
Gamston (Nottinghamshire)
Haverfordwest
Lasham (Hampshire)
RNAS Merryfield (Somerset)
RAF Mona (Anglesey)
RAF Northolt
RAF St Athan (South Wales)
RAF Syerston (Newark)
RAF Topcliffe (Yorkshire)
RAF Woodvale (Merseyside)

Local
Blackbushe (Hampshire)
Duxford (Cambridgeshire)
Enniskillen (Northern Ireland)
Lydd (Kent)
Oban
Oxford - scheduled services starting soon, March I think, to IOM and JER
Swansea
Yeovil (Somerset)

ZOOKER
15th Feb 2012, 17:55
At the present time, R/W 05R/23L at EGCC is an underused resource

pwalhx
15th Feb 2012, 17:57
At the present time, R/W 05R/23L at EGCC is an underused resource

Which means unlike some other airports it has the ability to expand

stab3.5up
15th Feb 2012, 18:19
From the very detailed list i note the majority are raf or ex raf. are any of these in a position to accept civil operations.

i suppose i have to ask what operators would use these more niche for want of a better phrase airports as manx2 appear to be carving quite a msrket for themselves in this area

racedo
15th Feb 2012, 18:20
if you are going to talk about areas being covered by shopping centres

Heathrow !!!!!

Used to be an airport there apparently...:E

ZOOKER
15th Feb 2012, 18:24
Why not simply attatch air-bridges and a runway to Bluewater?

LGS6753
15th Feb 2012, 18:45
Lydd
Shoreham
Manston
Bembridge
Sandown
St Just
Lyneham
Swansea
Haverfordwest
Pembrey
St Athan
Cambridge
Carlisle
Brize Norton
Fairford
Kemble
Coventry
Plymouth
etc

Sorry for any duplication.

ZOOKER
15th Feb 2012, 20:58
Barrow-In-Furness.
Did have a scheduled service to EGCC in the late 1980s with BN2s operated by , well, 'Air Furness', naturally.

MerchantVenturer
15th Feb 2012, 21:27

Not closed yet - due to be at the end of this year though the aviation-related industries at the site will continue.

So far as I know bmiRegional still operates regular flights to Toulouse and Broughton.

cornishsimon
15th Feb 2012, 23:57
Not closed yet - due to be at the end of this year though the aviation-related industries at the site will continue.

So far as I know bmiRegional still operates regular flights to Toulouse and Broughton

Correct.

I would also add NQY to the under used section

cs

Phileas Fogg
16th Feb 2012, 04:11
South Marston

mustrum_ridcully
16th Feb 2012, 15:18
Phileas I think the Honda factory might get in the way ;)

Sticking to that part of the world though, RAF/RNAY Wroughton (Science Museum Swindon).

16th Feb 2012, 15:30
For the list for Ireland, you can add Galway and Sligo nowadays

sunday8pm
16th Feb 2012, 15:37
Good list, RAF Honington is in Suffolk not Norfolk though. Who would want to run a scheduled service from there to anywhere else I'm not quite sure.

Phileas Fogg
16th Feb 2012, 17:38
Besides South Marston there could also be Colerne, Hullavington etc. Have some fond memories of sitting in the Hullavington tower ..... never mind Keevil ... but that's another story :)

yates
16th Feb 2012, 19:17
I am not intetested in the economic pros and cons of establishing air services really just what airports etc are out there that COULD.

Chicken and egg situation - an airport which does not have a sufficient catchment area in the immediate vicinity will never be able to support any air service unless it is a "public service requirement" such as those operating to and from the Scottish Islands to the Mainland and similar services in Ireland.
Then you've got to consider the local competition from local rail services - it's often said that if the First Class Rail fare to any destination you want to serve, is cheaper than the minimum fare you can afford to charge, don't even think about it.
Many, if not all, of the airports mentioned would never support regular air services, mainly because they don't have the catchment area, but also because no one could justify investing in the requisite infrastructure.

Sorry to deflate your boat, but it was very intersesting to see all the places mentioned which once had the potential but, for one reason or another, someone missed the opportunity.

Tower Ranger
16th Feb 2012, 21:22
West Freugh

stab3.5up
16th Feb 2012, 22:15
So i guess here wot we are saying is that regards airports, we are were we are and we are unlikly too see and additional airports being used anytime soon.

Mikhail Sharpowicz
16th Feb 2012, 22:25
Woodbridge
Bentwaters

ZOOKER
16th Feb 2012, 22:51
Manby, Strubby, Wymeswold, Crosland Moor, Stretton, Salmesbury, Ashbourne. Tollerton, Langar, Rearsby, Hucknall, Bruntingthorpe, Leicester East, Bitteswell. Loughborough, Darley Moor.