PDA

View Full Version : Bangui - BGF

Peppermint Hippo
14th Feb 2012, 19:22
Can anyone tell me the best way to get some stuff to BGF ?

Too wide for 737 ! :\

Cheers.

hailstone
15th Feb 2012, 06:11
if I am not mistaking, AF are running a weekly 74F on CDG BGF BZV CDG.

If it is too wide for the lowerdeck (err, belly) of a 737 that could do the trick

Peppermint Hippo
15th Feb 2012, 20:10
Hailstone,

Sorry, should have said, Shipper moaning about AF price , 7.00 GBP per kilo , plus, plus , plus !!!!

Rolls Royce service required, Datsun 180Y ( 1978 ) price offered !:ugh:

SmilingKnifed
15th Feb 2012, 22:59
It's a few years since I was there, but I'd say AF is pretty much your lot if you're looking to ship from Europe. The only other traffic I recall is Congolese carriers (Hewa Bora :eek: ) and the odd French Herc.

Cargolux do Kinshasa (or did) if that's any good. You'd still be looking to risk it by barge or knackered aeroplane (plus multiple bribes).

hailstone
16th Feb 2012, 06:43
thought that even in BGF they would have upgraded driving Nissan in the meantime.......
clear that AF are asking for arm+leg, given their results...

G&T ice n slice
16th Feb 2012, 07:05
The usual conversation then.....

Forwarder : I need to get a big box to Somewhere-in-the-Boondocks

Airline : No probs, that'l cost $lots-and-lots

Forwarder : but Other-Airline will do it for $almost-nothing

Airline : OK well use Other-Airline then

Forwarder : Oh, I can't use them it doesn't fit their aircraft so they can't take it

Airline : Ah, OK, I see your point, I tell you what , when we can't take it we'll charge you $absolutely-nothing, but until then it'l cost $lots-and-lots.

repeat with variations ad nauseam

hailstone
16th Feb 2012, 08:58
right you are - I guess that is something about supply and demand....

probably one of the few money spinners that AF have left with that freighter going through Ndjemena, Brazzaville, Bangui - as they night also make some bucks with their Ouagadougou (sp ??) and Niamey flights (then again, who knows how these flights are from a payload / utilization aspect)

G&T ice n slice
16th Feb 2012, 11:51
Usually these flights rely almost 100% for 'southbound' revenue generated from oil/mineral extraction companies who want stuff and want it now (and in the good old days corrupt dictators wanting foie gras, champagne, caviar).

which is why esp. in Africa many routings are round-robbins staging back home via Kenya (veggies & flowers) or Uganda (fish, veggies) or Tanazania (fish & veggies).

Peppermint Hippo
19th Feb 2012, 20:14
G & T how right you are !

I came from a charter background into a "conventional" freight forwarder and on an almost hourly basis I repeat verbatim the "supply and demand" concept. Eventually the customer paid, through gritted teeth, the AF price, the "proper" price as I called it.....

Though, you have to leave a bit of blame for the culture at the airlines door..

The carrier had me by the b*llocks, but let me go with a cheaper rate...

As I say to commercial customers, "There is not a sinlge thing that man can not make a little poorer and sell a little cheaper - and he who considers price alone, is that mans lawful prey....":(