PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think resign rate of cabin crew in M.E is higher than anywhere else?

QR crew
14th Feb 2012, 08:55
That's a common issue in Middle East that resign rate of cabin crews are so high compare to those of the rest of the world although there's competitive exclusive benefits that are better than other regions.

Can anybody give the idea why and where to find the sources(acedamic websites or books) that proof the fact?

Does anybody know the sources or books to cite about statistics and datas on this issue?

I need to do research on this topic for my class.

Please help discuss.. even you have non-reliable sources.

givemewings
14th Feb 2012, 12:18
I would hazard a guess it's mostly to do with the transient international population that make up the bulk of the Middle Eastern airlines' cabin crew workforces.

The job is fine for most for one to five years- longer than that, up comes the question on do they want to be in their home country, with their family and settle there, or move on to another opportunity elsewhere.

Also, most of the countries that employ foreign crew don't overly encourage one to have a lifeling career and retire there- most would likely want to return home & establish a solid base & life (with employment) before thinking about retirement (unless they managed to save a LOT of money by working overseas)

Dave Gittins
14th Feb 2012, 12:23
Agree with the above, also like a lot of things .... they are expanding and recruiting and have jobs, unlike a lot of the west. Once you have experience and when other jobs become available you hot foot it back to civilisation.

halas
14th Feb 2012, 13:10
You are a guest here in the ME. Simple really.

If you got a similar job "back home" you would be there for as long as you could, building up seniority under union coverage.

In the ME it's a transit job. Some make it a career here but probably due to this gig being better than what they could possibly hope for back home.

It is not academic! References to such? Who would bother?

(Strewth, l have just given my game plan away. And l am not even CC!) :oh:

halas

QR crew
15th Feb 2012, 00:51
Thank you all for your all supporting responses.

It is not academic! References to such? Who would bother?

That's right. I knew the answers of why and yet thinking to write about the fact as a research.
And I couldn't find any records,journals, or book written about it and thinking to write some about it.

May be because it's not suitable for a research paper topic then.

I will have to brainstorm another one.

ironbutt57
15th Feb 2012, 02:28
I suspect most of them come here to escape the home life for a bit, do some travelling, see the world, then time to go home and pursue their normal life...nothing against the carriers here...they seem to expect and accept it..:ok:

BigGeordie
15th Feb 2012, 02:59
Actually it has been researched to death but not with reference to specific cabin crew issues. You need to look for papers about the psychology of migrant workers (because that is all they/we are) and the factors that make them take and leave jobs abroad. Then you need to talk to crew- post something on the cabin crew forum on pprune and set up an online survey (surveymonkey or something similar). Think outside the box a bit.

Jetaim
17th Feb 2012, 12:25
Because after being lebanized, having partied at Zinc and having spent 75% of thier salaries on Paris Hilton style sunglasses the majjority after a couple of years realizes that real life has nothing to with that or with the UAE or Qatar as a very concept.... Nevertheless some come form such desperate countries or situations that they cannot go back. By the way just tell me what would they be such incredible benefits ? No union.. no pensions.. no maternity leave what the **** are you talking about??

harry the cod
18th Feb 2012, 06:37
Jetaim

Why would they want to come here?

Well, for a single 21yr old, male or female, starting on over $2000 per month, tax free, no bills to pay, no rent and no requirement for a car, I'd say that's good reason enough.

Factor in 4-5 star hotels, an opportunity to see quite a bit of the World over 3 years or so and have on your CV that you worked for a reputable airline, the argument for doing the job is even stronger. You don't even need the justification of coming from one of your 'desperate' Countries to come here. In case you have not been watching the news for the last... oh, say 4 years or so, the World is a mess. All of it. And jobs are bloody hard to come by. You claim others not to be living in the real World?

WTF indeed!

Harry

nolimitholdem
18th Feb 2012, 07:39
Sorry Harry, I missed your explanation about why they leave in droves then?

40&80
18th Feb 2012, 09:03
They leave in droves when one of their buckets are full to overflowing.:ok:

harry the cod
21st Feb 2012, 15:46
Well, you may be surprised that the rate of people leaving is far smaller than we often hear about. Just like all the pilots that are leaving..... not!

For a Company as big as EK, with a known short to medium term job as cabin crew, the resignation rate is well within what's planned.

To me it makes perfect sense for a young single person to do the job for a few years, especially given their likely disposable income. Whether you'd want to make a long term career of it is a different matter altogether.

Harry

givemewings
21st Feb 2012, 16:07
Keepin mind the contract is a non-binding 3yr renewable (by mutual agreement)

There would be a number in there who are not asked to renew, some who wait for the 3 years to be up to collect the EOSB, and others who as Harry mentioned, come for their few years then go back home.

It doesn't mean the job or airline is bad, just that it suits some more than others for a longer or shorter period of time.

There's whiners everywhere but I find they either quit within 6 months or hang around for years... ;)

CAYNINE
22nd Feb 2012, 01:13
Halas....

"We are guests" is a very old tiring saying which is very wrong.

We are contractors, here by an offer of a good job and an opportunity nothing else.

A guest at my home would be treated with respect.