PDA

View Full Version : Pawnee loses wheel, cow loses life!

fauteuil volant
12th Feb 2012, 14:13
Can anyone help me with the identity of the Pawnee and/or more information concerning this incident, which gets no more than a brief mention in Tim Webb's 'Shoreham Airport Sussex' and does not appear to receive mention elsewhere (at least, not on the web or any text to which I have access at present). So what I have is:

"May 8th 1970: Robert Sharpe, a crop spraying pilot, took off from Golding Barn Farm in a Piper Pawnee 235. A cow ran in front of him and knocked off a wheel, so Sharpe decided to make a one wheel landing at Shoreham. He survived: the cow did not".

Can anyone add to this?

ksjc
12th Feb 2012, 14:59
Sorry. No first hand knowledge of this mooving story. Udderly catastrophic. Sure hope the cow's owner didn't have a major beef about it.

coldair
12th Feb 2012, 16:41
Sorry, I can't help with the Shoreham accident. No doubt someone else will come up with an answer.

In the mean time, here's another 'cow crash' .

plane hits cow (with slow motion)... "Cows" by the Suburbs - YouTube

Regards,

coldair

Dunhoverin
12th Feb 2012, 17:42
Bob Sharpe is my neighbour and long retired after a very interesting career. I have heard him recount the tale of the cow. I'll email him and suggests he logs in.

fauteuil volant
12th Feb 2012, 20:34
Thank you, Dunhoverin. I'll look forward to reading a post from Robert Sharpe and/or a further post from you when the former is aware of my interest in his close encounter of the bovine kind of nearly 42 years ago!

Duchess_Driver
12th Feb 2012, 22:53
Don't suppose you've searched Mootube for it?

(Sorry! Couldn't resist!)

DD

Vino Collapso
13th Feb 2012, 06:26
In common with other accident threads can we refrain from speculating on the cause and not name the cow?

fauteuil volant
13th Feb 2012, 08:24
Oh heck, hopefully we aren't going to see a 'Daisy woz innocent' campaign'!

I'm sighing as I wait for the first post to the effect that:: "she looked left, she looked right, she looked left again, she started to cross the field then this bl**dy great great aeroplane came out of nowhere and whilst she ducked to avoid the prop, whack - the wheel knocked her for six and the next she knew she was pushing up daisies"! However I'll hope that Robert Sharpe will soon be on the scene to put the opposing case on behalf of the crop dusting fraternity.

But on a more serious note, I'm keen to know the immediate consequences of the undercarriage of the Pawnee hitting a beast as large as a cow, with sufficient force to knock off a wheel, and about making a one wheel landing at Shoreham followed by, I presume, the inevitable ground loop. I suspect that the account will demonstrate that crop dusting pilots possess skills that other pilots only yearn for.

fauteuil volant
7th May 2012, 06:47
Bob Sharpe is my neighbour and long retired after a very interesting career. I have heard him recount the tale of the cow. I'll email him and suggests he logs inDunhoverin, did you contact Bob Sharpe and, if so, was he able to elaborate upon the incident?

fauteuil volant
14th Jun 2012, 12:43
I've sent a PM to you, Dunhoverin.

Skysprays
16th Jun 2014, 15:39
I worked with Bob over a number of years both here and in Africa and would love to make contact with him ,if he is still a neighbour of yours.
He would recognise me as "heifer", from Southport.

onetrack
17th Jun 2014, 01:47
This thread is just perfect for our resident pprune member, "Cows getting bigger", to add his bovine comment. :)

fauteuil volant
17th Jun 2014, 08:08
You might try sending a PM to Dunhoverin, Skysprays. I didn't receive a reply to mine, but you might have greater success in view of your previous connection with Bob Sharpe.