PDA

View Full Version : In through the back door.......

757_wannabe
12th Feb 2012, 10:44
....no nothing sexually related i promise! :=

Recently out of flight school and have sent out the first lot of CV/Cover letters. (ps. Paid for a CV/Cover Letter and what a difference! Best cash i have spent throughout my training id say). Fully expecting only a handful of replies with the usual cliches, keep your cv on file, not currently hiring etc etc so i am thinking whats the next best move? I have a decent job at the moment which i intend to keep until i pay off the remainder of my training, which should only take 12 months at the most, but assuming nothing turns up in that time i am considering applying for other jobs within airlines to get my foot in the door, ops, cabin crew etc.

I dont have the money to pay for a TR and frankly dont really fancy going through with that for a good few years, would only do it as a very last resort.

1) Basically i am wondering if anyone else shares similar views at the moment?

2) Which types of jobs within an airline are generally best to allow you to make the contacts to get into that right seat?

3) Which airlines are best to target? Im thinking the likes of the regional carriers/Turboprops etc.

Any Input greatly appreciated.

LVL_CHG
12th Feb 2012, 12:11
I have also recently finished at a well know FTO. In the knowledge of what things were going to be like once I had finished and also not wanting to follow the crowds to Ryanair/Brookfield I applied at a few airlines at my local airport for cabin crew.

I've thankfully landed a cabin crew position within an airline I respect and would ultimately like to to work for. I was honest on my application form and at interview that I would ultimately like to transfer to the flight deck and they seemed impressed.

I've worked extremely hard over the years, first of all saving for my course, then throughout my training and never expected to wander straight into shiny jet. I intend to carry on working hard first of all in the cabin and then ofcourse in the flight deck.

I think having done it this way, once I finally do make it to the flight deck it will be ultimately feel that much more satisfying!

Artie Fufkin
12th Feb 2012, 13:31
Its a principled but somewhat brave move to rule yourself out of paying for a type rating because just about most places now do charge cadet entry pilots for a type rating.

Where I work, a significant number of fATPLs got interviews for pilot positions via working within the company doing something else (dispatching, flight planners, cabin crew, crew bus driving, the list goes on) but a significant number didn't pass the interview, leaving them in a tricky position. Those that did get the job still had to pay for the type rating.

I can't think of any "shiny jet" operators (i stand to be corrected) other than BA who are currently recruiting who don't charge their cadets for type ratings.

You may find work in a smaller turboprop outfit via back room work within the company, but there is the whole new issue that the TP drivers seem to be debating at the moment; does career progression from TP to jet still exist?

Maybe you will be happy flying TP for 40 years. Nothing wrong with that, obviously, but it shouldn't be a crime to say you fancy ending up in a B787 or A350.

I would say apply for everything, whether it involves a free TP rating or a paid-for jet rating, and take whatever comes up first. First chances are rare and there is little to gain from narrowing the field.

Best of luck.

average-punter
12th Feb 2012, 14:51
I don't think Monarch charge for the TR but you are rather bonded... not 100% though. I know that in Ryanair CC wanting to fly used to be guaranteed an interview, but I don't think they do that anyway.

deltahotel
13th Feb 2012, 10:47
DHL don't charge for TR. Cadet salaries reduced for first few years.

757_wannabe
13th Feb 2012, 17:29
thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Ive worked for DHL for years so i thought that would be a good place to try and get in but they have recruited all their cadets for this year and wont be reopening it until 2013 at the earliest apparently.