PDA

View Full Version : Almost holding PPL(A) , questions about future

PrivatePilotDA40NG
9th Feb 2012, 19:20
Hello folks,

I have some questions about future pilot training in Europe , and i guess this is a pretty good place.
I am 17 of age and almost holding PPL(A) (got like 39 hours logged now). Everything is going well with the PPL and i've always wanted to go for an airline pilot license (ATPL). For your information , i am doing my PPL at OAC(Ostend Air College) , a Belgian FTO at EBOS. They fly DA40's and DA42's.
I would like to continue with this flight school , as they offer both modular and integrated ATPL , FI , IRI ,CRI , ...

So , knowing what i know now , I personally prefer a modular training to frozen ATPL. So that means finishing my PPL now , then starting my IR , CPL , ME .. right? And btw , does it matter in which order these licensed are obtained? Like can i first get Instrument Rated and Multi Engine and then my CPL?

Other than an ATPL , I am thinking of becoming a Flight Instructor. Can I combine my modular training with training for FI(A) , so i end up in a few years with a flight instructing license , and an ATPL ?
Also , are there a lot of jobs for Flight Instructors available?

kaptn
9th Feb 2012, 20:22
To do a CPL Single Engine, you need a PPL only as license, but not as the only requirement.
To do a CPL Multi Engine, you need a Multi Engine rating.
To do a Multi Engine IR, you'll need the multi engine rating..

What's needed for an ATPL Frozen : CPL/ME IR...I think you can do the ME IR before the CPL (assuming you have the aTPL writtens), but don't see why going to the Multi engine rating whith minimum hours, because you'll do hours building mainly for the CPL license.

Hope that helps...

student88
9th Feb 2012, 20:36
Keep it simple and naturally progress. Do your PPL, ATPL theory, hour building, CPL, ME then IR. That'll keep your costs as low as possible too.

Don't go to a school because they have fancy aircraft until you're thinking about your IR, then you will be looking for something similar to the DA42 (the G1000 cuts out a lot of thinking and you need as much capacity at your disposal as possible when IR training.

Keep an eye on the economy and the recruitment requirements. Things are sticky in Europe as we speak so don't plough a load of cash into training when you'll only be sat with a licence that isn't doing you any favours.

Be tactical, practical and always keep and eye on your finances.