PDA

View Full Version : BA's Latest Tv Advert

BAladdy
9th Feb 2012, 16:05
BA's new TV advert will be shown for the first time later tonight. The latest advert, which has been titled the race. All I will say about the ad is that it has a sporting theme. Not suprising with the olympics fast approaching and with BA being a a tier 1 olympic sponsor.

British Airways - Our Advert 2012: The Race - YouTube

JSCL
9th Feb 2012, 16:30
Absolutely love it.

PAXboy
9th Feb 2012, 16:37
A natural theme to choose this year and one that, I don't think, has been used before. I stopped believing in advertising many years ago. Not just airlines but ALL advertising. When I see adverts, some of them are cultural points of interest or novelty. Mostly, they are just adverts and I make up my mind about a company through far more numerous and complex ways.

Still, I'm sure the main board of BA will think it's great and it has paid lots of people a daily wage to produce it, which is good.

Facelookbovvered
9th Feb 2012, 17:21
I thought that was really good, but they could have mentioned that the bmi bag was still on the carousel in GLA(closed a year ago) and the bmibaby bag was still stuck in the gate gauge, meanwhile the regional bag had been off loaded due to weighing over 10 kgs:suspect::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MAN777
9th Feb 2012, 17:27
Don't normally have much positive to say about BA but this advert is super, really like it.:ok:

ZOOKER
9th Feb 2012, 17:47
I would like this more if I could board a British Airways aircraft at my local airport and fly to Glasgow, or Edinburgh, or Belfast, or Amsterdam, or Frankfurt, or anywhere in fact, apart from Heathrow.

LD12986
9th Feb 2012, 17:54
After all the turmoil of the past few years, it's a sign of how BA has turned itself around, both financially and operationally, that it can now market itself with such confidence.

Given the current direction of the industry IAG could become a major player over the next few years.

jabird
9th Feb 2012, 17:54
ok, I like it :D

Just needs a quick burst of Lakme to make it perfect :D

John21UK
9th Feb 2012, 19:53
Absolutely loved it. Well done BA!

fa2fi
9th Feb 2012, 20:12
I LOVE it! Glad the UK won the race :-)

BFS101
9th Feb 2012, 20:18
Excellent!! Fresh and modern, and very appropriate for 2012. Hopefully this will be a good year for BA, and the UK!!

Max Angle
9th Feb 2012, 20:26
Well normally Airline advertising is dire but that is great. Laugh out loud funny I reckon.

willy wombat
9th Feb 2012, 21:11
Love it. Much better than the previous "to fly to serve" nonsense.

Airlift21
9th Feb 2012, 21:25
Personally, I didn't think the previous "To Fly To Serve" advert was nonsense at all. I thought it was a great advert. The latest one is also good...very much in the spirit of London 2012. Good stuff BA!

wiggy
9th Feb 2012, 21:44
Yep, a :ok: from me for the new one.

Much better than the previous "to fly to serve" nonsense

I take it you mean the one that highlighted the value that BA's pilots bring to the brand? Funnily enough talking to customers about that advert. I gather that whilst some were neutral in their opinions many liked it... the main complaints seemed to come from some within BA - hardly the ad. agency's main target group.

jerboy
9th Feb 2012, 22:17
I stopped believing in advertising many years ago.

Seriously? Can you hum the Intel tune? If you see the silhouette of an apple with a chunk bitten out of it what do you think of? When you see a white plane with an orange tail and orange writing... Which airline is it? It's all advertising.

The best advertising gets into your head without you even knowing it. To not 'believe' in advertising is almost like not believing the sun will come up tomorrow. Unless you live in a box of course... Although that'll probably have a logo on it somewhere.

Of course someone is very unlikely to fly BA simply because they've watched the advert... That is not the point of advertising. Its about raising the airline's image in the public's conscience... And I believe it does it rather well; humourous, cute, and above all it tells a story.

Easyjet have a good campaign out at the moment... 'Europe by easyJet'. It adopts a different approach and shows the destination, rather than the journey.

Both BA and EZY's latest campaign show much more imagination than the classic businessman relaxing in lie flat bed type of airline ad.

OntimeexceptACARS
9th Feb 2012, 23:28
Agree with jerboy, that advertising can be subliminal, as well as :mad: annoying, the only thing that boils my :mad: more than tunes with whistling in them aka Homebase, is that berk asking us to go compare. But folks remember it.

Anyway, as a UK citizen I object massively to the bleedin Olympics, a huge groan when the decision was made, and I just know its gonna get worse as the spring comes and goes. Ask yourselves when did you watch any past Olympic event from start to finish? Exactly.

Nice ad, waste of money event.

Hope they celebrate the A380 and the B787 when they start appearing, now those are ads I'd like to see (not a single delay or airworthiness directive gag to be seen here).

PAXboy
10th Feb 2012, 02:28
jerboy I take your point but, if I see the Apple logo, it does not make me want to buy or support it, any more than the Microsoft one does. When I see advertising for brands I already like and purchase, it does not make me want to buy them any more or any less.

Of course, new brands must impress themselves until they are well known and old brands need to tell new generations about themselves, such as a well known brand of Cola!

This advert is novel in it's theme and it does it well and I congratulate all who made it. If I was on the Board of BA, my question would be: How many people will watch that and immediately repeat to any who would listen, about the time we lost their suitcase? It is, of course, a question that cannot be answered.

As to the Olympics, for which this is directed, I agree with OntimeexceptACARS and fear that the people who will make the money are not the most deserving. The distraction to UK govt and resources, the disruption of daily life for hundreds of thousands of people is not worth the billions of debt. I saw today an article that funeral directors in North East London are getting very concerned that their cortèges will get re-routed and blocked by the special lanes. Of course this is denied by the good people arranging everything.

End of JB style rant.

fincastle84
10th Feb 2012, 08:06
A really great advert from a great airline. Well done to all at BA, particularly the CC who will be working in the bubble on BA59 LHR-CPT on 1 March. Please don't forget the London Pride.:ok:

Emm4
10th Feb 2012, 11:05
Very imaginative.
I hope it was a British Company that created it.

WorstGW
10th Feb 2012, 16:28
Thought it was sort-of OK with the sound muted, winced when I replayed it with the sound on. But then, I don't have a lot of patience with the bread and circuses (and corruption) variants of sport, of which the Olympics are imho a prime example. I have the entire period blocked off in my diary as "don't bother with mainstream TV news, cancel newspapers, do not even think of travelling via London".

Well-produced ad, but a hostage to fortune. Sorry.

Sunnyjohn
10th Feb 2012, 17:04
I'm afraid it did nothing for me at all and it certainly would not induce me to fly BA. On the other hand, not having a telly, I'm not bombarded with poor adverts which I believe are the normal order of the day, so am probably not a very good judge.

edi_local
10th Feb 2012, 18:29
It was ok. I much prefer the ones which focus on the airline though, with services, routes or prices being advertised. I would give it 7/10.

The most memorable ones recently include the BA adverts which featured world cities and landmarks with price tags around them, featured like a slide show, or the other ones with the cloud dolphins!

crewmeal
11th Feb 2012, 07:27
Whilst I feel it's original in content I hope BA can deliver the said bags on the said days, otherwise the ad might turn round and bite them......hard!

We don't want to see another terminal 5 fiasco again.

ExXB
11th Feb 2012, 09:53
Given BA's history of mismanaging bags I'm surprised they have the guts to emphasise this. Good luck to them, I seriously hope this doesn't come back to bite them.

Mr Mac
13th Feb 2012, 12:25
I do not know how BA have the cheek to have this advert on UK tv because if you live outside of London and have to use a shuttle to catch your onward connection then the bag issue in my humble opinion is not so good. I speak from experiance and have given up on BA. However one of my co workers continues with our national flag carrier and still has issues with missed bags and cancelled shuttles and this is all post T5 (Jan 2012 last time he hit problems).

Ancient Observer
16th Feb 2012, 16:54
.........the advert is awful.
They really ought to focus on the customer.

Maybe the boss-class at BA are so busy using their free 1st class tickets that they don't care about the customer. They just like the champagne that the ad agency plies them with.

WHBM
18th Feb 2012, 15:16
I'm a bit perplexed why this ad is shown in Britain, because those viewing it are most unlikely to be going to the Olympics by BA. Surely it should be in overseas markets that they sell themselves and the Olympics together. Shouldn't BA instead be doing ads in the UK for those who want to get OUT of London during the chaos ?

By the way, despite living within 3 miles of the main Olympic stadium, and walking distance from one of the key secondary stadia, we haven't had one person say to us that they are coming to any of the events. So I am starting to wonder who, apart from the athletes and the self-important "officials" who are their hangers-on, is actually going to come.