PDA

View Full Version : To Qatar from Vancouver

Polar Bare
9th Feb 2012, 03:05
I'm expecting a formal DEC job offer pretty quick from Qatar. Before I make the final leap, a few questions:

Staff Travel - I live on the West Coast of Canada. I assume there is some decent interline arrangements to get home (or at least past Montreal). Is Air Canada an option? Or do you have to go via the States? When does my family get staff travel?

Per Diems - Are they decent? Do they adequately cover your expenses?

Salary - I've checked the salary, and it seems reasonable. Obviously, you'd have to wait a year to get into training, but is the training department a worthwhile way to boost your income?

Housing - What are the odds that you'll get company housing versus a housing allowance? I understand they may not have enough housing to accommodate the huge increase in hiring.

Thanks for any input!

Chuck Noris
9th Feb 2012, 05:26
Staff Travel - I live on the West Coast of Canada. I assume there is some decent interline arrangements to get home (or at least past Montreal). Is Air Canada an option? Or do you have to go via the States? When does my family get staff travel?

We have zed fare agreement with all of them.
I thinks it's after 6 month.

Per Diems - Are they decent? Do they adequately cover your expenses?

They do just that.

Salary - I've checked the salary, and it seems reasonable. Obviously, you'd have to wait a year to get into training, but is the training department a worthwhile way to boost your income?

Flying a lot IS the way to boost it, not the training.

Housing - What are the odds that you'll get company housing versus a housing allowance? I understand they may not have enough housing to accommodate the huge increase in hiring.

Not sure, but take the housing allowance it's better, because you will have the choice to live where you Wife or familly wishes to live.

Hope it helps :ok:

80-87
9th Feb 2012, 13:43
Not to worry about travel. You'll be working such that you won't have any time off to get back there, other than for your leave...if they don't cancel it and buy your time out.
Training department doesn't pay enough to make a big difference. You'll be flying a lot on the line. The training department is fraught with politics...

Polar Bare
9th Feb 2012, 23:06
Thanks very much. I've never used the Zed Fares - So I would be able to fly on WestJet and Air Canada to get home?

80-87
10th Feb 2012, 02:56
I don't believe that WJ honors Z ticketing

broompusher
10th Feb 2012, 04:49
Just AC, no WJ. Although AC Zed fares are very pricey (nearly the same price as full fare economy). Luftansa and KLM are also travel options to YVR from Doha.

swallowenforcer
10th Feb 2012, 09:47
And Business seats are only for family members 12 years and older on the QR network. So if you have younger children one of you will be sitting in the back with them.