PDA

View Full Version : Supervising restricted FI question

chester2005
8th Feb 2012, 21:44
Hi people, i have not asked any questions on this forum in Pprune before but other forums here have been very helpful so here's hoping.

I have checked through various sources and cannot find the definitive answer to this, so i am hoping someone will be able to help or point me in the right direction for an answer.

Is it possible for an FAA CFII to supervise a JAA restricted FI if the flights are taking place in the USA.
AND that these supervised flights count towards the 100 hrs/ 25 air exercises that are required to remove the restriction from JAA FI(H)R

on form SRG1133 the supervising FI signs the form to state the FI has done what the form says he has, but if some of the 100 hrs/25 exercises have been done at another establishment within JAA and some in FAA land how can the supervising FI sign the form??
Also what if the student does not have a CAA ref. no.? do you leave the boxes empty?

Thanks in advance for any assistance in this question

Chester:ok::ok:

BillieBob
8th Feb 2012, 22:34
Is it possible for an FAA CFII to supervise a JAA restricted FI if the flights are taking place in the USA.No. Supervision must be exercised by an FI(A) approved for the purpose. [JAR-FCL 1.325(b)] An FAA CFI or CFII is not an FI(A) [JAR-FCL 1.005(a)(2)]

Whopity
9th Feb 2012, 08:20
For a JAA FI to be exercising the privileges in the USA he would have to be working within a JAA approved FTO. One of the requirements of the approval is that the FTO must have a detailed Operations Manual which includes details of all aspects of the supervision required.

Also what if the student does not have a CAA ref. no.? do you leave the boxes empty? It is not uncommon for a PPL student in the UK not to have a Reference number; if they don't have one, you can't include it.

MartinCh
21st Feb 2012, 07:23
BB, I take it the FI(H) rules would be the same for FI(A).
Dammit, there goes me looking to work on the supervision bits in the US this year.
At least dual given is dual given, even on FAA ticket.

Why did I read about people having their restriction removed based on their prior non-JAA country instructing? Do you have reason to believe it'd have been possible only Bristow Academy for heli or one of the few 'JAA-approved' airplane schools, based on the reg you quoted?

Whopity
21st Feb 2012, 08:25
Why did I read about people having their restriction removed based on their prior non-JAA country instructing?Possibly because they were converting an ICAO FI rating to a JAA FI rating, i.e. their experience precedes the JAA qualification.

Notwithstanding that, I have still seen FI applicants with 2000 hours ICAO FI experience still issued with a Restricted FI. The CAA no longer seem to understand the purpose of the Restriction and consider that only JAA instruction offers the unique experiences necessary for its removal! As you already have the rating, you will I'm sure be required to have it removed in the prescribed manner.

MartinCh
22nd Feb 2012, 07:26
:ugh:
Thanks. So far FAA CFI, will do JAA FI sometime this time next year, fingers crossed. Haha, 'unique experience'. :mad: in my view.
Thankfully, I'm planning to do FI rating in the UK and then added to my non-UK CPL. The local CAA may be more understanding. So I should try to get supervision of solos as much as I can, besides dual given. Not that it'd be problem where I'm going, but still..

Fostex
22nd Feb 2012, 10:50
- Regarding the CAA ref. number for the student, surely this is assigned when the student obtains their ( at least ) Class 2. What will become their licence number is clearly printed on their medical, something which is mandatory* for solo.

*NPPL excepted.

Whopity
6th Mar 2012, 08:03
I'm planning to do FI rating in the UK and then added to my non-UK CPL If you don't hold a the appropriate licence you will not be allowed to do the course. A JAA rating cannot be added to a non JAA licence. I note you said non UK, not non JAAThe local CAA may be more understandingAs of 8th April, all NAAs will be operating to the same EASA rules (in theory of course)

MartinCh
7th Mar 2012, 08:12
Thanks Whopity. I did indeed mean non-UK JAA. European.

I have been in touch with two relevant JAA/EASA aviation authorities where I can do my CPL conversion/exams. Neither of the heads of FCL department are sure of what will or will not be practiced after April. Looks like it'd be last minute decisions from 'above'. So, right now, CAAs in question do not seem to have final policies on applying/using the transitional periods or not. Hmmm.

I've read lots of the FCL docs stuff on EASA website recently and there seems to be space for reduction in training minimums, but since it'd be at the discretion of FTO and as approved/authorised by local CAA, it's hard to know details. It may be just as is right now for FI courses in the UK with ICAO FI.

I called up one CPL and FI courses school in Czech Rep. It looks like one guy (not many doing so, over there, mind you) had some reduced ground based on his prior studies/experience, but not much flying portion. I'll check with him about the details. Anyway, I hope that Czech CAA would be more pragmatic and not disregard previous solo student supervision. My recent/past enquiries about licensing stuff suggest there will be more common sense than in the UK. What a surprise, haha.