PDA

View Full Version : Storing under seats ....

Unixman
8th Feb 2012, 12:14
Came back from Gib yesterday on a well delayed EasyJet flight to Liverpool. I was in row 2 and just before takeoff there was the normal announcement about those in row 1 placing anything loose in the lockers. Unfortunately they decided to shove all their booze, fags etc etc under their seat, coming so far back that my feet were being pushed out from under. I said "oi" and asked them to put the stuff in an overhead locker only to be told that they were told that it would be ok by the cabin crew to use under the seat ..... They did put their stuff int he lockers although with ill grace, although the woman still left her handbag there.

I don't mind having my legroom restricted with my stuff but I wasn't going to have it restricted with other peoples. Would the cabin crew have actually told the pax to do what they did?

Sunnyjohn
8th Feb 2012, 12:30
I believe the instructions are to put such items under the seat in front of you.

Unixman
8th Feb 2012, 12:34
Ah ... but they were in row 1 ......

wiggy
8th Feb 2012, 13:46
I don't mind having my legroom restricted with my stuff but I wasn't going to have it restricted with other peoples. Would the cabin crew have actually told the pax to do what they did?

It's one pragmatic solution to the problem ( as long as the loose stuff ends up being restrained by the strut/bar at the front of the underseat void - your void!!).

As for it being "your" space I once saw (on Easy) several passengers have their own items handed back to them from an overhead locker and being told to put them in front of their own feet in order to create space for a single passenger's oversized item which would only go in the overhead.........guess the cabin crew had been dropped in it by the gate staff and loading the large item in the hold would have meant a delay.

LondonPax
8th Feb 2012, 13:50
You're supposed to put stuff "under the seat in front of you". Those in the first row of a section have to put their stuff in the lockers, not under their own seat. But you have to remember that some people are lazy and selfish :rolleyes: and don't give a :mad: about other people. Those people tend to sit near me.

SpringHeeledJack
8th Feb 2012, 14:28
Some people just can't work out what belongs to whom on a flight and they're often regular travellers :* Seat back head rests and arm rests and foot space voids often being fields of play. I shared an LAX-LHR flight in the 2nd row after a bulkhead, behind a lady who had her baby on a ledge in front of her. She placed her feet under her seat and over the bar onto my big feet! I complained (nicely) and an argument started, she stating that there was nowhere to put her feet due to babby and therefore justified to invade my void. Although in the right and supported by the chief purser, it was decided to relocate me.....into 1st Class for one of the nicer 11hr flights I've had ;) The shocking thing was that other passengers surrounding the lady didn't seem to understand what was what and rounded on me for my attitude :ugh: Half a day with a strangers feet/belongings on one's feet isn't my idea of fun.

Perhaps an etiquette for flying should be included in the onboard magazine and/or announcements ?

EEngr
8th Feb 2012, 16:38
"Oh look Someone left a handbag in my foot space. And there's money in it, too!":E

PAXboy
8th Feb 2012, 19:26
SpringHeeledJackThe shocking thing was that other passengers surrounding the lady didn't seem to understand what was what and rounded on me for my attitude :ugh:I can well believe it. No one knows the etiquette anymore and don't listen when it is explained to them. I don't think that there is any way to convey to people that will not listen, how to behave in a public and shared space.

It's like when the child repeatedly pulls the back of your seat. When you turn around to politely ask them to cease and desist, you can get a gob full from the parent.

The instruction 'under the seat in front of you, unless you are in the row with a bulkhead, when you should place items in the overhead locker.' Is just wasted reverberations

Solar
9th Feb 2012, 00:10
Recently on a flight from Moscow to Khabarosvk of around 11 hour duration on I think a Transareo 777. The inflight entertainment screens were of the touch screen variety and there were several games on these. 10 hours of the guy behind you playing draughts, chess or whatever by tapping the back of your head has to be another form of Chinese torture. Plane was full and my limited Russian wasn't much help. The guy who designed that system must be in line for the Darwin award.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Feb 2012, 07:47
Regarding design, it has always amazed me how unergonomic and impractical many cabin features are in reality. Do 'they' evaluate them at all or is it lost in the rush to implement them ? It's not as if anything inside an aircraft comes cheap :rolleyes: Who ever thought that a touch screen on the back of a seat was a good idea ? Or putting the 'box of tricks' controlling said screen in the foot space void of every 2nd seat taking up almost half the space, as on several BA 777's used on UK-Carribbean routes ? :ugh::ugh:

Keeping it simple and letting the paying passenger be as comfortable as possible for the duration of the flight would increase satisfaction and reduce stress (and health dangers on longer sectors).

givemewings
9th Feb 2012, 10:17
You wouldn't believe how often we get these petty arguments going on...

case in point as mentioned above, placement of feet.

Little old lady in bulkhead row. Loud obnoxious bogan/chav woman with a large child (too big for basinette seat at bulkhead) who'd turned up late for rpevious flight (probably in the bar judging by the smell of her) and been put on ours.

Firsttold us the old lady was in 'her' seat, then when we refused to make them switch, put her disgusting filthy feet in between the seats and on the armrest of the woman in front.

I repeatedly told her to get her feet down. Response? "I paid for my seat I can put my feet where I like"

Cheerfully informed her that yes, she did pay for her seat, which includes the space UNDER the seat in front for her feet but that's it.

She still kept putting her gross feet up, we had the last laugh later on when a crew from a different cabin came with a trolley in the dark and managed to belt her foot. Cow put up a right fuss then didn't she "I'll sue you, blah blah blah"

To which I responded, "Madam if you had moved your feet like I have aske dmany times before this would not have happened!"

I mean REALLY. These people are mostly used to buses, what else should I expect?

You need to visit the Jetiquette page by a guy called the 'Sky Steward'. He's on a mission to do exactly that- get an 'etiquette' guide out for modern air travellers. STarted as a joke but has quickly caught on.

manintheback
9th Feb 2012, 12:51
During the years I spent every Monday first thing on a plane and lucky enought to have a company paying for tickets up front I learnt quick to never take row 2 for just that reason.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Feb 2012, 16:22
I learnt quick to never take row 2 for just that reason

And a wise move sir, but in the larger craft with several bulkheads (747/DC10/MD11/TriStar) etc the chances of getting that wrong are (or were) higher, especially before 'seatguru' and the like. As with all these things experience is the key, but you can never choose your fellow passengers ahead of time!

SHJ

easyflyer83
9th Feb 2012, 23:59
It's a pet hate of mine and I refuse to let pax do it. If they are at row1 or 10/11 (A319) 12/13 (A320) I make them place all luggage in the overhead locker. Unfortunately not all colleagues are like me and will allow it usually because they don't want to get into the inevitable debate about why it has to be put in the locker and why it can't be placed otherwise. Some crew just like to avoid conflict but me.......if they want the 'better' rows then passenger must comply with the additional procedures and using other peoples leg room area is unacceptable.

As for it being "your" space I once saw (on Easy) several passengers have their own items handed back to them from an overhead locker and being told to put them in front of their own feet in order to create space for a single passenger's oversized item which would only go in the overhead.........guess the cabin crew had been dropped in it by the gate staff and loading the large item in the hold would have meant a delay.

I totally agree with the small items under seat procedure and on a busy flight I will actively enforce it. As for oversized baggage, that term is used quite a lot when in reality people don't realise just how generous the dimensions are. Chances are it wasn't oversized and despite there being a huge emphasis on OTP (On Time Performance) crew don't think twice when bags need to be placed in the hold.

BUGS/BEARINGS/BOXES
12th Feb 2012, 09:57
Keeping it simple and letting the paying passenger be as comfortable as possible for the duration of the flight would increase satisfaction and reduce stress (and health dangers on longer sectors).

Perhaps one should fork out for WT+ or J perhaps? :p

And if it is sooooo dangerous for one's health, how come aviation authorities have allowed it to continue, how come layers have yet to bring the airline crumbling to its knees? You pays your money, you gets your choice in this life.

And yes, woman and children first.

I do avoid bulk head seats for this very reason. Some of the MidJ? ba 747s have a nice WT+ seat all on its own on the left and right of the cabin. Can't remember the seat row number but very nice, and away from the door slide bustle , so no SEP infingement of personal space. :ok: oooo and club hot food now on some of the atlantic routes.

Carry0nLuggage
13th Feb 2012, 11:53
I have a feeling this has come up before and the answer (from CC I believe) was to move it into the aisle whereupon the CC needing to secure the cabin place it in the nearest free overhead locker. Usually at the rear of the aircraft.

It certainly gave the impression of coming from someone who knew the rules very well.

Capot
13th Feb 2012, 17:47
I find the best way to deal with that situation (someone else's stuff in your foot space, after polite requests to remove it) is to move it under one's seat into someone else's foot space, who might well do the same.......