PDA

View Full Version : A friends PC wont boot up.

magpienja
8th Feb 2012, 10:24
Details are a bit sketchy...but my friends PC wont fire up,

He was away for a week on his return he tried to turn on his PC...6 months old running win7...but all he is getting out of it is the sound of it powering up internally..fan sound he says, with the monitor just displaying the caption... SCREEN SAVER MODE,

Not much to go on but any ideas guys.

Nick.

green granite
8th Feb 2012, 11:51
the "SCREEN SAVER MODE" message means the monitor can't see any output from the PC, suggest he opens it up and re-seats all connectors and boards including RAM.

Bushfiva
8th Feb 2012, 12:36
Before opening the case, I'd simply wiggle the monitor cable.

green granite
8th Feb 2012, 15:23
It never even occurs to me that there are people that wouldn't think to check connections :ugh:

magpienja
8th Feb 2012, 15:29
Thanks guys...he is letting me have it at home here to have a look at for him...I will let you know how I go on.

Nick.

dazdaz1
8th Feb 2012, 16:42
Magpieja...... You posted "6 months old running win7" So why does not your friend take it back to the store he bought it from? Opening the case and having a 'fiddle about' would invalidate the remaining warranty.

Daz

magpienja
8th Feb 2012, 17:08
That was the first thing I asked...I think its to do with sensitive information being on the drive...

Nick.

BOAC
8th Feb 2012, 20:10
Ooh! It's not Gary ******* is it?

Milo Minderbinder
8th Feb 2012, 23:19
away for a week with he machine off..classic situation which often results from three possible causes
blown motherboard (and poss faulty PSU) due to lightening
loose component (usually memory) due to thermal creep. The week off has given it a chance to settle with a bad connection
bad motherboard due to thermal expansion / contraction - again the week off has allowed a joint to cool and crack

First reseat everything
Next check the output voltage on the PSU
Finally replace the m/b

david1300
9th Feb 2012, 05:32
We have had 2 computers exhibit the following fault in the last week:

1 - when right clicking on a hotlink, usually the 2nd option is 'Open in a new tab'. The first sign of the fault is when this option disappears.

2 - in one case I reloaded IE8, but it came up with an error (can't recall the error). On restarting the computer hung/froze at the point just prior to showing the desktop icons. Background picture/Wallpaper was there only. Nothing was active.

3 - In 2nd case I just rebooted the computer, and it did the same as computer 1.

4 - In each case there was an error message saying that Windows Explorer could not load due to a missing component (some file name ending in .dll).

5 - Off to computer Accident and Emergency. Fixed with all data intact. They have had at least 10 in the past week - all the same sympton. Explanation - 'there is a Windows update that had a bug'.

Maybe related, maybe not. Good luck.

Milo Minderbinder
9th Feb 2012, 07:52
any idea which update?

magpienja
9th Feb 2012, 17:30
All noted guys...I asked him if he had checked the monitor cable for security...yes he tells me,

He brought it into work this morning for me to look at...brought it home so I will first try it on a spare monitor and take it from there.

Nick.

tony draper
9th Feb 2012, 19:16
A new power supply only costs about £14,tiz a good bet that is the culprit,neigbors had simiar probs last week fans running but buggah all else occuring,have a spare PSU disconected all the leads tried my spare on it without putting it in the case and everything worked fine,just because the fan is running dont mean the power supply is ok,he bought a new PSU the next day and I stuck it in for him,and if it is not that, you always have a spare.
Power supplies are buggas to test out of the case unless you know what pins to short out they will just sit on the table plugged in and switched on doing nowt.
:)

M.Mouse
9th Feb 2012, 20:06
A cheap power supply is false economy in my view. An interesting article on the subject can be read here, (http://www.directron.com/psu.html)

magpienja
9th Feb 2012, 20:31
Hooked it up to my monitor and still no joy...tried to start it in safe mode no joy,

So I took the side cover off...6 screws but limited access...lots of pop rivets seem to hold the case together,

Anyway I took the screws out of the power supply but only moves back about 50mm....un-plugged the hard drive and re-plugged it back in...powered it up and hey presto it lives again,

I wonder what it may have been....I did notice that the monitor socket on the rear was a bit loose..waggles about....

Nick.

vulcanised
9th Feb 2012, 21:30
Just jer, jer, jiggle it a bit Granville.

Mr Optimistic
9th Feb 2012, 22:04
No video. re seat the graphics card if there is one.

david1300
9th Feb 2012, 22:32
any idea which update?
No, but it has happened here in Aus only in the last 10 days (since 1 Feb)