PDA

View Full Version : Last WW1 veteran dies!

Lomon
7th Feb 2012, 16:31
BBC News - 'World's last' WWI veteran Florence Green dies aged 110 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-16929653)

Tankertrashnav
7th Feb 2012, 18:08
Probably making Harry Patch a nice cup of tea right now

As reported on the BBC, when asked recently what it was like to be 110, she replied that it was quite like being 109! Brilliant.

Last of a great generation :D

Sir George Cayley
7th Feb 2012, 20:08
Apparently she was in the RAF (RFC) but didn't like flyin'. However, she mentioned that she met lots of pilots.:O

So girls, if you want to live to 100, hang around flyers:ok:

Links broken is part of life. One day the last WWll vet will fall to sleep, so we should both venerate and record their actions now.

I used to know someone who put Lancasters together and often suggested he record his exploits. I decided to get a tape recorder and just chat but the old bugger went and died before I could press record:(

She has her wings at last.

SGC

Tankertrashnav
8th Feb 2012, 08:36
When I read the report that she had been in the WRAF I thought there had been a mistake, as I thought that the women's service was called the WAAF when first formed.

Just checked and I was wrong. The WRAF was formed on the same day as the RAF on 1st April 1918, but disbanded in 1920. When the service was re-formed in 1939 it was renamed the WAAF at that stage, and only reverted to the original name post WW2.

Halton Brat
8th Feb 2012, 09:45
Surely a fly-past for her?

RIP

HB

A2QFI
8th Feb 2012, 11:40
What a character! She had only been in a care home for 6 months! Until then she lived with her 90 year old daughter!

Tankertrashnav
8th Feb 2012, 12:01
Bawsey is only a few miles from Marham as the Tornado flies. I'd assume that it would be a given that they could lay on something for her on a Thursday - could easily be incorporated into a routine training sortie.

J52
8th Feb 2012, 12:08
Well that is one world war well and truly over. Anyone doing a head count from WWII?

GreenKnight121
8th Feb 2012, 20:02
Well, as Marham had provided a detail of airmen to provide company last year for her 110th birthday, and had scheduled the same for this coming weekend for her 111th, I suspect the command is already planning something for her funeral.

Al R
8th Feb 2012, 21:49
"a mess steward"

Well, she certainly served her country in more ways than one. Always good to see someone sticking one on the actuaries in such fine style too.

sitigeltfel
9th Feb 2012, 08:08
"They also serve who only stand and wait".

John Milton.