PDA

View Full Version : Hello all. Bleed leak detection question...

andresuno
7th Feb 2012, 14:28
Hello all,
I know that starting by asking questions may not be the best form to introduce myself, but I have to, and since I don´t have much experience, there is no other way.
I am an aeronautical engineer working on ground testing of pneumatic systems. I know there are several common methods to look for leaks on bleed ducts (aluminium foil, soapy water, and those temperature-sensible stickers). However, we were given a fabric strip (a 4''x12'' rectangle) which is meant to be wrapped around the flanges to be tested. It came with no documentation to indicate its procedence, it only has the words TEK inc printed on it. The strip is coated with rubber on one side, and we were told it suffers changes in its coloration after being subjected to hot air flow.
Can someone of you offer some light on what is that, where did it come from, and if it is really useful?
PD: I have been told that there is yet another method, which involves filling some kind of netting with little pieces of special foil which is sensible to temperatures. Do you know anything about that?
Thank you very much in advance, regards,
Andrés Fdez. Lucena