PDA

View Full Version : B100 performance, any info?

Alexander Pichler
7th Feb 2012, 09:42
Hi guys,

I am trying to find out more about the Beechcraft B100 performance with the -6 Garrett engines. Operation would be in South Africa out of Johannesburg mainly, so hot and high.

Can anybody who has flown it or knows it well from maintenance provide some of the most important data?

Like fuel burn, take-off and landing distance, etc.?

Or any other things that seem important and should be known about the aircraft.

I hope someone knows something about it from real life experience.

The Ancient Geek
7th Feb 2012, 12:47
It was a very long time ago, those things are getting geriatric now.
ISTR it performed much the same as any other King Air, just needed some quick study on the care and feeding of the Garrett engines.

Commander 690
8th Feb 2012, 09:57
The 100 series was an interesting airplane, the problem is the short wing. Cruise altitudes are in the twenties. The 331 is a great engine, fuel efficient and great power response. Standard TBO is 5400 hrs with two HSI's at 1800 and 3600 (Which includes a gearbox inspection). The engines can be upgraded to the Dash 10 which will give you a 5000 hr TBO and 2500 HSI. I remember the two that operated in SA, ZS-MSG and ZS-MZS.

cavortingcheetah
8th Feb 2012, 10:46
Drawing back the mists of time indeed!
Transkei Airways had a B100 and a B200. As far as one remembers the registration marks on those were XGB and XGD, both ZS, and both had the PT6 engine. The 100 really was a little tiresome sometimes at hot and high operation especially as the company was a well run outfit with a decent chief pilot who would not tolerate out of limit operations.
Performance figures for the PT6 machine should not be too difficult to obtain. The chief pilot of whom I spoke works or worked until recently for SA/CAA and he always was a most helpful chap. The Garrett engine will perhaps provide you with greater problems than you really care to wish for. Surely no one would advocate Garrett operation over PT6 operation? There must be some J31s flopping around lifelessly looking for a new start up too?

Commander 690
8th Feb 2012, 11:01
The 100 and A 100 had the Praat en weetnie engines while the B100 had the 331. and yes I would advocate Garrett operation over a PT6. Bar talk is the main reason why people do not like the Garrets.

KRONOS
8th Feb 2012, 11:03
Cheetah,

The 331's are great engines, very economical, and less expensive than a PT 6 if you look after them, I prefer them on the airframes that cannot go over FL 200, and of course the C441's - 14's

Alas, the King Air 100 was sub 20's cruiser with 9 pax, around 230 kts cruise, 6-700 PPH fuelburn.

cavortingcheetah
8th Feb 2012, 11:22
Only ever operated the 331 as in J31/32 in Europe where it is usually cold and the PT 6 in Africa where it is normally warm.
Must try it the other way around sometime.

Jetjock330
8th Feb 2012, 15:07
Personally I remember watching ZS-MSG arriving on it's maiden ferry flight when the late Andrew Curtis flew it from the USA to Lanseria, back in 1990-91. It looked great and then RF bought a second one, as mentioned. It competed with the B200's to Sua Pan back then and did the same job cheaper as far as I remember, but it did not fly high or fast like a B200.

On a sad note, I seem to remember one of these two B100's came down with a tail plane problem, not sure when or why?

There is a reneisance program which re-engines the B100 with a -10, changes a few things and I reckon it will be a major improvement, but still it won't catch up to a B200 in lifting performance and range. The B200 has a different wing and wider CofG range with the further aft tail plane of the T-Tail.

I have flown 6000hrs in the King Air 200 +B1900, B200, C90A, C90-1, and an E90, but never flew the F90 or the A100/B100.

Have a look at what can be done here (http://www.nationalflight.com/beechcraft-king-air-services-p3.php) to a B100 is amazing.

Commander 690
9th Feb 2012, 16:40
RF imported ZS-MSG which crashed near VD in natal, ZS-MZS was owned by JOHN MCCORMICK IIRC

Alexander Pichler
10th Feb 2012, 11:10
Hi guys,

thanks for all your feedback, that is exactly what I was hoping for!

Seems like that the -10 is compulsory to have for com. ops. in South Africa. The upgrade does cost some money but is definitely worth it!

Thanks once again for the professional output!