PDA

View Full Version : aviation degree with flight training

vkracing
6th Feb 2012, 18:32
I know there are some universities with such degree. Is it worth spending 4 years for it? or is it better to get some other bachelor and than undertake flight training?

mad_jock
6th Feb 2012, 18:43
Which country are you intending to work in and where do you intend to study?

pm07a2m
6th Feb 2012, 21:05
Leeds univesity (uk)
the course is called Aviation Technology and Pilot Studies and includes a PPL in the syllabus for approx 3.5k extra. Very interesting course although some modules are somewhat not too appropriate...

if i were u i would opt for a more recognized course and get your ppl in your spare time!

All the best

what next
7th Feb 2012, 06:16
or is it better to get some other bachelor and than undertake flight training?

Definitely! The problem with all those aeronatical degrees in combination with a pilot's license is that the belong to the same industrial sector . In bad times when there are no jobs for pilots, there aren't any jobs for aerospace engineers (or aerospace accountants and suchlikes) either! (I know because I have both...)

Get a degree in a totally different field first (law, economics, medicine, languages, whatever) and become a pilot on top of that. You will never be unemployed.

funkyt111
7th Feb 2012, 10:44
Hey, I'm on the aviation tech course at Leeds at the moment so feel free to pm me

smith
7th Feb 2012, 14:23
Really, what good will a ppl do on top of a degree???? I don't get it!!!! I think it is just the Uni's jumping on the "flying at any cost" mentality.

ExMilRedundancy
7th Feb 2012, 14:57
Just food for thought, but many of the current intake for the BAFPP are either on or are graduates of the Aviation Technology course at Leeds University.

Groundloop
7th Feb 2012, 15:31
Just food for thought, but many of the current intake for the BAFPP are either on or are graduates of the Aviation Technology course at Leeds University.

Define "many"! Out of the 100 or so - 20, 30, 40, 50, 60....?

ExMilRedundancy
7th Feb 2012, 15:53
Out of the 80 places this year, around 7/8 are off the course. 10% is a pretty high number from 1 course at a single university.

Robsquire
7th Feb 2012, 20:01
Are any of these uni courses with pilot training actualy worth doing if you want to be a pilot as some almost sound to good to be true such as this one: Courses | Bucks New University UK (http://bucks.ac.uk/en?t=/customCode/courseFinder/view/course&ParentID=1295428942034&courseCode=BS2ACP1)
If I do university I want to do a degree sort of relevant to the aviation industry but I want it to be one that airlines and training companies recognise. PLEASE help anyone ! :confused:

Fostex
8th Feb 2012, 07:34
For Aerospace/Aviation in the UK, Cranfield is probably one the best. It has more industry links than any other university in the area of aerospace.

Cranfield University Aerospace (http://www.cranfield.ac.uk/aerospace/?cid=Homepage)