View Full Version : Virgin Australia - Wannabes & Recruitment II

Pages : [1] 2

TightSlot
6th Feb 2012, 17:04
Continue Here

Time_To_Fly
6th Feb 2012, 23:11
Hey Syd Sider,

Basically, you receive unlimited staff travel on Virgin Australia Services. You can also nominate 1 other to receive the same benefits as you. Outside that, you have 32 sectors to give to whoever you like. These get renewed every april. You also get staff travel on other/partner airlines. These benefits vary depending on the airline. I am pretty sure you receive a $500 credit every year for your own flights on the Virgin Australia network. (Sorry, it has been a while I have spoken about staff travel with my friends who work for DJ).

I hope this gives you an idea. If anyone thinks any different, please let us know but i'm pretty sure this is accurate.

TTF

Sydneysider88
6th Feb 2012, 23:15
Thanks for the info! Sounds pretty good but guess if I get the job will find out in more detail. Not too fussed about benefits anyhow just wondering :) thanks.

syd16R
7th Feb 2012, 02:09
I think it may have already been covered but do SYD base domestic crew operate any international flights? Like the PER guys do i e Denpasar?

Time_To_Fly
7th Feb 2012, 08:34
Hey Shelbs... I went to one last week. Here is my post...

Just Completed the MEL AD. It was a really good morning actually. The day goes a little like this:

1. Complete and hand in paperwork
2. Introduction and Information
3. PA speaking activity (on board PA)
4. Individual problem solving activity (goes for 2 mins max)
5. Break for 20 mins while the assessors decide who goes through
6. Those who remain have a 1 on 1 interview (goes for maybe 15 mins)

They have said we should hear within 2 weeks if we get through to the next stage. Fingers crossed. Ground Schools will be for Feb & March by the looks of things.

TTF

Sydneysider88
7th Feb 2012, 09:27
I found the virgin AD and interviews to be relaxed, friendly and different. I would not prepare (but thats just me) I didn't and got through. I wouldn't even be nervous. Just yourself. They'll just ask normal questions about past work. Standard across the board questions you would find in any industry. The assessors were lovely.

Jackbr
8th Feb 2012, 00:08
No "group activity" and role play etc like Qantas does?

the Virgin day sounds much more relaxed

syd16R
8th Feb 2012, 00:49
Golden Call today, start G/S for SYD 27th Feb

Sydneysider88
8th Feb 2012, 02:06
Judgemet at virgin ADs ARE based on your interaction and talking to thee people. Is so is very much so! The recruits advised me and all of us that got through to the interviews. That they watch you the moment you set foot on the property. How up relate, interact, present yourself, speak etc. and all how you do that with other people and deal with situations.

That is why they do not necessarily do a group activity. But they could not stress more to me that the main part is team work and cooperation. I stayed back to talk to the assessors as I had a great day and they told us all this.

So I wouldn't go as far and say virgin dont score on that at all. Like you said it is interaction, but it's not like it's just you alone at all when you look at the big picture.

In my opinion The day was very fun, recruiters were SO SO nice and it was relaxed. I wast even one bit nervous but that's just me.

jennoc07
8th Feb 2012, 03:37
Congratulations Syd16r! :D
When was your AD? I'm waiting for news from a Melb AD last week.

syd16R
8th Feb 2012, 04:06
Around 14th Dec last year

jennoc07
8th Feb 2012, 04:09
So i guess we can expect a decent waiting period :cool:

Sydneysider88
8th Feb 2012, 04:15
Sure can, especially since then, there has been MANY Ad's.
My motto, keep going on as per normal, dont hold your breath, any word you hear is golden. Ive tried to forget (not forget about wanting the job badly that is) but just so you 'get your hopes up waiting to hear in the ''2 week'' time frame they say.
:)

Thuman91
8th Feb 2012, 06:33
After months of waiting and lost hope i finally got an email today that my application has finally progressed to the next round online assessment for syd long haul which is weird because i thought the ad was last month :confused:
Maybe they are hiring another round!!
Also finally got invited to an emirates open day so hopefully my luck is changing finally!
anyone else hear back for syd long haul??

Sydneysider88
8th Feb 2012, 20:26
Nothing back yet for syd long haul.
I don't know why they would be hiring again. As every recruit I have spoken to and also on our AD last month, said for the one and only upcoming GS there would be only 10-20 positions available. And at our AD there were 2 huge groups who made it through and that there were only a limited no. Of people to go through.
Maybe they cut a lot?
But they still have a backlog waiting from last year for LH syd.

Oh well. See what happens. Been 2 weeks now nearly and no word. But I won't hold my breath. No one has been contacted for my group or progressed to Medicals yet.

flyawaywithva
8th Feb 2012, 20:41
Hey Sydneysider88,

How many do you think made it through the whole day last Tuesday?

Really hoping there isn't another AD before g/school, it will just prolong the wait for the rest of us.

Sydneysider88
8th Feb 2012, 21:00
I know that's what I was thinking! Why another, when they told us there are only few positions depending on the needs of the business.
10-15 in my group made it through and probably about the same in the morning we were told. So they have a fair few people. AND they have people in the waiting pool or talent pool as they say.

So they have PLENTY already. Another AD will definitely SLOW things down, as if the GS was for around march 12, theyd have to be starting to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later.
But who knows if what they say is true or right. No one has had refs checked yet either or heard a peep. Maybe soon.

The main recruiter said they have a very low attrition rate for LH and they havent hired in 12 months properly, and they only need the 10-20 people for this lot of hiring.
See what happens. Like ive said, why keep hiring if there are people waiting to be placed.

The Virgin LH for syd is different to the normal domestic recruitment, as you wouldnt need as many people, and at my AD people flew from all over Oz to go to it, as it was meant to be the only one.

Who knows, we never do. I just know another AD will possibly create backlogggg for us :(

kendalltaryn
8th Feb 2012, 23:54
I attended a VA AD in December 2010 and progeressed through, yet I missed out on the GS and I went on my honeymoon... I'm now beginning to think that my marriage has ruined my career!! ;)
I have been on the wait list for over 12 months and initially I was contacted every 6 weeks, now, my previous 4 emails have not been responded to. I noticed that VA started recruiting again, so I re applied, yet I have not received a response to my application, HOWEVER I have a friend that applied also, and she received an email, stating that she was unsucessful - so im clinging onto the fact that NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS????!!!
I see that a few of you have already attended an assessment day and that they did mention that they have people in their Talent Pool - Is there anyone on the wait list like me that has heard anything??
For the past year (the first year of my marriage) I have been living away from my husband (seeing him maybe once a week) working as a Solo Flight Attendant, trying to gain experience to become a Cabin Crew Team Member for VA - where flying Long Haul would involve me being away, but also allowing me to have much more time at home.
I have checked my email everyday for the past year in hope of hearing something. I guess I have to keep waiting?!

Sydneysider88
9th Feb 2012, 00:08
Unfortuntely they told as ut the AD, that after 6 months in the Talent Pool, if you have not been placed in a role, you drop out. Thats what we were told. So if you get put in the pool, after 6 months if no jobs come up you dont just sit theyre indefinitely you drop out, then you have to re apply all over for jobs later if they come up.

Correct me if im wrong, but 3 recruiters told us this the other week. So 6 months youre only put there.

:sad:

kendalltaryn
9th Feb 2012, 00:22
Yes, at my AD we were told this that after 8 months you would be re assesed, and after 12 months you are able to re apply. So things have obviously changed.

I had an assesment on the phone at 8 months, and she confirmed that I would remain on the wait list. Last week I spoke to another recruiter and they again confirmed that I am still on the wait list, so I'm not sure!?

Sydneysider88
9th Feb 2012, 00:27
Thats crazy, why re hire and go through all that when people are on waitlists!! Doesnt make sense!
Not fair for the people in the talent pool and not fair to new applicants who theoretically would have to wait even longer, that is IF they place people in the talent poor first, which would make sense. :ugh:

But who knows what they do, I guess I will be waiting a LONG LONG time, and just forget that I will get the job or even consider working any time soon. I guess what happens, happens. But i wont give up for this job ;)

flyboy89
9th Feb 2012, 01:33
I got a call yesterday, advising i made it to the next stage which was the AD. I selected Tuesday 14th Feb .. at 12:30pm
anyone else going to this session. :)

Hope89
9th Feb 2012, 02:31
Well after almost 4 months of not hearing anything, I finally got the thanks but no thanks email today :mad: ..... for about the third time in three years. Oh well, I got through to the end for Jetstar and Qantas so hopefully will hear some better news from them. Goodbye from me :) and good luck to the rest of you all x

syd16R
10th Feb 2012, 01:22
Does anyone know which based crew operated ADL-DPS?

Alfisti
10th Feb 2012, 01:27
Hi,

Do you know what the most recent salary ranges are for Virgin Australia crew operating in NZ, and also is there a big difference in salary between their fellow crew members operating in Aussie? I guess what I'm asking is, is it worth applying to work for them and are they a good company to work for?

Thanks guys.

Alfisti
10th Feb 2012, 01:34
do you know if there's a cut off age for Virgin Australia and what it is?

Sydneysider88
10th Feb 2012, 02:12
There were many people at both sessions on my day who were well over 25 who got in. Many had flying experience and got through, some who did, did not. A few who also stuffed up the PA and who were nervous also got in. As for grooming, everyone can get help to brush up, its not like you can hold it against them personally, they may have been lovely people that fit the mould, and im sure if they got the job they would have to improve and Virgin goes through that.
In saying that I do believe its important to have proper presentation/grooming standards, not only on the day but always. But i wouldn't hold it against anyone too much, as at my AD there were people who did not know what to expect from an AD or ever been to one, but they were so lovely and had so much other experience that we all thought if they weren't offered a job, it would be a shame.

Some people who were to over the top with their personality and talking a lot did not get through, which surprised a lot of us, but again it depends on what they are looking for and what fits their search at the time/day/compared to all the people there. It is hard to show someone what you are truly like in a short amount of time, but I hope and trust they know what they are looking for and hopefully put the right people in the right role.
But we had a mix of older, younger, experienced non experienced. Sometimes they want fresh blood, non flight experience, as it is easier to train people new and mould them to what they want and learn their procedures easier, rather than undo what is drilled into people who have experience with other airlines, which is true to an extent.
Most people in my group were newbies, but had degrees/years experience in other industries.
It depends on what they are looking for and what they see in a person on the day. I wouldn't take it personally.

It is VERY hard to know what they look for, its a cut throat industry ive found, but many people who are right for the job get it, and many who are right dont always get it. VERY VERY hard to say and one can never know what they look for.

I found EVERY assessor to be lovely and so so friendly, everyone thought the same, and as some of the same assessors fly all over oz to recruit, it is strange to think they were not friendly at the Perth AD.

:confused:

Soon1
10th Feb 2012, 04:49
Hey syd16r
Are you starting for domestic or long haul Sydney?

syd16R
10th Feb 2012, 09:52
Hey Soon1

I am Domestic in Sydney

bubblyguy
10th Feb 2012, 10:01
syd16R,

Any wet lease based crew can do it. Have seen all bases do it at some point. Guess it just depends on the way resourcing do the pairings.

bubblyguy
10th Feb 2012, 10:04
Shelbs,

Sad to hear that you didn't make it through. Just so you know we have people in the Perth base all the way up to the 50's so there certainly isn't an age range.

It is a very diverse base with plenty of airline experience from across the globe.

Good luck with the future and where you want to go next. :)

syd16R
10th Feb 2012, 19:28
Thanks for that Bubblyguy

Soon1
11th Feb 2012, 05:45
Thanks syd16R.

How long ago did you attend AD?

syd16R
11th Feb 2012, 06:36
AD was back in Mid December

Sydneysider88
13th Feb 2012, 08:01
Do you guys think the long haul recruitment will move along quicker as there was only one AD for the whole of Aus??
They said they would definitely contact us within 2 weeks. That's their 'definitely'. But as there was only one AD and this is specifically for Syd long haul international would it have the potential for it to be quicker than normal domestic.
As the day was different and very much geared to international LH and we were told the GS was for march for this recruitment drive (only one AD and limited positions)

Also virgin domestic are recruiting again and have their ad via seek.

occygirl
15th Feb 2012, 23:53
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if Virgin let you know if you have been unsuccessful after the Assessment Day? I am still waiting for a call/email from them to know if I was successful or not. I am aware that a couple of other people were contacted on Tuesday, being told that they had moved further through recruitment and their references were being checked. I have heard nothing yet. Does anyone know if this is a bad sign for me or if they do the reference checks in batches? Does Virgin usually let the unsuccessful people know first before the successful ones. If anyone can help with any info, I would really appreciate it, it is doing my head in a bit :uhoh:

Thanks

syd16R
16th Feb 2012, 00:51
Is there anyone that was scheduled for 27th Feb G/S?

Its been postponed till March

Emma-loo
16th Feb 2012, 11:55
Had you already handed your notice in, as that's pretty close to now tell you it's been postponed ?

I'm waiting on my refs to be checked hopefully tomorrow they said for a 6 th march GS.

I will literally have to hand my notice in straight away as I'm meant to give two weeks.

What date have they told you in march it's been postponed to?

regional_flyer
16th Feb 2012, 12:27
Unfortunately that seems very typical - the airline I currently work at has a lot of people that go across to Virgin, and we have a 2 week notice period as well. I know people that have been in the last two ground schools, and all of them were only given around 5 days notice before the commencement of ground school. Virgin just don't seem to care about other employers' contracts regarding notice periods (luckily my employer has been nice enough to let everyone go, even though they're under no obligation to do so with such short notice).

syd16R
16th Feb 2012, 21:37
New date is the 26th March. Yeah I gave my notice. Was suppose to give 4 weeks but could only give 3 weeks so lost a weeks pay as well. Tried to extend my notice period and my current employer basically said to bad to sad

Sydneysider88
16th Feb 2012, 23:57
At least it's not like a couple people I know...got given GS date. Gave notice. GS cancelled and put on waitlist and still waiting. Lost their old job when they were almost certain to be starting GS.
Sad but happens a lot. Luckily I'm not working ATM so have all the time in the world. Which sucks to an extent.

carguard
17th Feb 2012, 10:51
hey guys , got a ad on 21st , ex flyer so pretty confident (but not too muc lol)
wel i not sure how the domestic flights will go as used to long haul international. does any1 know roughly the pay of a cabin crew and if domestic bne crew can go long haul ? or at the least get a random flight there. just got back from dubai was working with a airline there. xxxx

Marcus2
17th Feb 2012, 11:18
Carguard, you need to learn some basic grammar.

Occygirl - this means you haven't made it past your final interview, sorry :-(

I had my AD in December and start training this week. If anyone wants to know some specific questions please PM me a list and I will be happy to help. Also, if anyone needs any recruitment contact numbers I have about 10! Only if you have a genuine need... the consultants are super busy.

Sydneysider88
17th Feb 2012, 20:28
Is it a positive thins Marcus that my refs are being checked? What are my chances of being asked for a medical and possibly getting the job? I have no idea. My old job really wants me to get this so I am not fussed about my refs not bing genuine/good.

Wonder how long it will take to hear back this time. 2 weeks for refs. Hopefully soon!

pinkpetals18
17th Feb 2012, 21:00
Hi ... can you please tell me how long do you have to wait before you can reapply, is it 6 or 12 months with Virgin? I get different answers.Thanks

Sydneysider88
17th Feb 2012, 21:01
6 if you don't make it to an AD.
12 apparently if you make it to interview then not past that.

carguard
17th Feb 2012, 21:36
whats the pay like?
and how can we get onto long haul flights from domestic?

Marcus2
17th Feb 2012, 22:57
Sydneysider - you're in, unless your ref checks are no good.

Sydneysider88
17th Feb 2012, 23:18
Thanks Marcus. I'm sure they'll be fine, but I Won't get overly excited given the nature of the industry. But hope I find out either way soon :)

exmax
17th Feb 2012, 23:24
carguard - If you join VA domestic and down the track want to progress to long-haul, information regarding those opportunities appear on the intranet via 'current vacancies'. Positions for long haul don't come up very often though and when they do, competition is pretty high.

aus81
18th Feb 2012, 02:53
Hey Sydneysider - do you know if they have contacted any of your referees yet? I made it through to reference check - got the email on Tuesday too - but they haven't contacted any of my referees yet.

Sydneysider88
18th Feb 2012, 07:31
Not yet. They said this coming week.

Tony.S
20th Feb 2012, 00:36
Anyone else heard anything after the AD on the 31st of Jan for long haul?? Got through to the final interview and felt it went great.. Yet I haven't heard anything yet..

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 01:43
Hi Tony.S,

I also haven't heard a word yet although it is clear that some people have. I am hoping that they just haven't got around to letting everyone know their result, it is hard not knowing where you stand.
Like you, I was really happy and confident with the way my interview went so I'm hoping that there is good news on the way to us too.

syd16R
20th Feb 2012, 04:07
So was there anyone else here that was due to start on the 26th Feb G/S?

Tony.S
20th Feb 2012, 06:54
Hey Occygirl,

Do you know if your references have been called?? Were the others that have been notified from the same AD on the 31st?

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 07:34
Hi Tony.S,

I have not been contacted at all by virgin since the AD. The people who were contacted last Tuesday and were told that they were progressing to reference checks have not had them checked yet as far as I know, so hopefully more emails are yet to be sent and we will know soon how we have done...

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 07:43
Sorry Tony.S, I just realized I hadn't answered your question properly :ugh:
I haven't had my references contacted at all and the people who have been notified were from the AD on the 31st of january. Evidently they haven't contacted everyone who attended though.

Tony.S
20th Feb 2012, 07:52
I think that might be a good sign that they haven't finished contacting all the successful applicants..
I spoke to a friend today that recently got Virgin domestic and they said some crew were notified a month before GS started, others 2 weeks before and some even a couple of days before.. So I wouldn't count us out yet until after GS starts!!

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 08:32
Yeah I think you are right, I am not loosing hope until I am told otherwise. Good luck Tony.S, I hope we hear something soon!

Tony.S
20th Feb 2012, 09:06
Good luck to you too! Fingers crossed!

Sydneysider88
20th Feb 2012, 21:53
Have you guys logged into your Virgin profile on the careers site. Tells up there where you're at in the process when you click view application.
Mine has changed regularly whilst going through the process. Changed when refs were being contacted and is now 'application under review'.

I know it's oly a rough guide but if it's still on 'assessment day invite accepted' then that is still the step before ref checks so they haven't notified you of the next step yet or outcome. Maybe you will hear soon.
If you're unsuccessful this status usually changes first I've found previously with other people.worth a look. As I've said it's only a rough generalized guide. Nt anything to base 100% everything on :)

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 22:01
Thanks Sydneysider88, my status is still showing 'Assessment Day Invite Accepted' so maybe my results either haven't been entered yet or a decision has not been finalised. Will keep checking though for a rough idea on what is happening.

Sydneysider88
20th Feb 2012, 22:06
Yes mine was also like that then it changed and I got the email Rey would be checking my refs last week and this week.they also asked if I was available still right away. Hopefully get to a medical and hear soon.

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 22:20
Have your references been contacted yet Sydneysider88?

Sydneysider88
20th Feb 2012, 22:32
Don't know yet. I'll check at the end of the week. Won't get hopes too high for a quick response as they're probably busy with applications. When i Hear I hear :)

But they've been on time so far. Although someone has said on this thread before if they're checking a refs and contacting you it's usually a sign you're in unless refs arent good. Who knows.

I won't get too excited till I'm booked into a GS. that's when I'll take it as getting it. Never know I guess. :confused:

occygirl
20th Feb 2012, 22:40
I hope Virgin are taking the time to let us all know where we stand, it's fantastic that you have made it through, I just would like to know what my results are from the interview, good or bad so I can move forward too. It's one thing to be waiting for progress when you know that you have passed all of their tests so far, for me it is a very anxious waiting period, at the end of which could be the wonderful news you have had, or horrible news that I have been unsuccessful.

It would be nice to know if Virgin lets the unsuccessful people know first or last but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to how the recruitment operates.

As insincere as it might sound, I would be really appreciative if anyone who got through to the final interview on the assessment day could tell us if they have been told that they were unsuccessful. It might give some sort of pattern to the recruitment process so far. Although I suppose you can never really know where you stand until they tell you.

Tony.S
21st Feb 2012, 01:44
Hey Sydneysider,

Great info, thanks for that. I checked my online status and it's still saying the AD invite, so hope that's a good sign for me too :)

I've been with 2 airlines now and I agree with Marcus.. Usually when you get through all the way to reference checks, you are in... Unless your references give you a bad wrap.. But no one puts down someone as a reference unless they knew they would get good praise from them... So I think you have a good shot now! Good luck

Sydneysider88
21st Feb 2012, 02:00
I am not worried about my references giving me a bad wrap at all.
So hopefully its a good thing, but like I said wont get too excited till i actually sign a contract or get offered a GS date, never been in this industry and know the recruitment process takes time and can be futile. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling a bit sooner, and that them advertising and checking refs etc means a GS is coming up soon.

But I am still very VERY happy to have gotten this far, even to and AD. :ok:

Sydneysider88
21st Feb 2012, 11:18
I believe the current job posting is domestic and upcoming ADs are domestic also.

missbilly
21st Feb 2012, 12:28
Hi All!
Have been reading this thread and the earlier version to try and get an idea of what I should expect regarding this exciting process! I've applied for a CC position with BNE base through the Virgin Australia website but there was no closing date on the applications - it just said it opened in November 2011. Is this just an open 'cattle call' so to speak? It was under the 'Campaigns' tab. Would I be right in saying it will be at least 4 weeks before I hear anything either way?

Just for a bit of background info - I have previously been invited to attend an AD in Sydney (18 months ago) but due to family circumstances had to shift back to Brisbane and therefore was unable to attend. Was very disappointed and after 18 months in a job I dislike, I've decided it's time to get back to achieving my life goals. I'm very hopeful for an invitation in the coming weeks :) good luck to all waiting also! Would love to hear from anyone in my position or similar.

Tashopeful
21st Feb 2012, 20:51
Reference checks can go either way..I had two fantastic reference checks, and then got told about 6 weeks later that they didn't meet their criteria?..No idea what happened, but I thought I would have been in if I got through to the reference stage..but didn't..

To everyone waiting, just try not to get your hopes up, because you may just get an awful shock..

DEANO3271
21st Feb 2012, 21:49
Hi guys.

Iam planning on returning to Melbourne to live in 12 months time,and want to keep my flying career going(currently a cabin manager for easyJet).

How hard is it to get into Virgin in Australia,what is the usual waiting time for hearing about applictions(should I apply prior to leaving the UK).
What's the starting salary?
Any info would be appreciated.

Sydneysider88
21st Feb 2012, 21:58
I know tashopeful. That's why I'm not going to get excited till I actually get the job if I get it. I know even good ref checks can not make the cut.
As I know what it can be like!

See what happens.

syd16R
22nd Feb 2012, 00:00
Anyone going to 26th March G/S in Sydney?

carguard
22nd Feb 2012, 09:22
deano the pay for virgin is 38000
had interview this week.

DEANO3271
22nd Feb 2012, 12:39
Thanks Carguard.

Not bad starting rate,same as Iam in as purser at easyJet.

Good luck,hope you get the job,do they like overseas experience do you think?

DEANO3271
22nd Feb 2012, 13:06
Many thanks Carguard for info.

That's not a bad starting amount,about the same as being a purser for easyJet
How long did the whole process take,from application to interview?
Do they like overseas experience ?

carguard
22nd Feb 2012, 23:59
deano
time from apply maybe like 2 - 3 weeks til getting invited to a interview.
but some ppl applied long ago, so u will have 2 see.
overseas exp is good i think, depends on the recruiter. think easy jet is good as its a diswcount airline, even know virgin is one too but they have jsut intoduced a business class thingy.
xx

Sydneysider88
23rd Feb 2012, 00:10
Process can take weeks to get to AD, weeks and even months after that. Make sure you have ALL the time in the world to wait :)

Virgin is no longer in*the market as a low cost budget carrier, they do have deals. But with their game change program are catering to get a share of the business/corporate traveller.*

Read up and learn about the company a bit and if it suits you before applying. The more knowledge the better, as you get to learn more about a perspective employer and see if their values meet yours.*

But like any airline, be prepared to wait and wait.*
Although the process has gone quickly for me (3wks) so far. But that is because we only had one AD for SYD international base.*
See how it goes.*

pinkpetals18
26th Feb 2012, 02:08
hi everybody...Anybody who attended the AD day in Melbourne on 20/21 December 2011, please can you get in touch with me. You can pvt message me too. thanks

marly
26th Feb 2012, 09:40
4th attempt for virgin can this be the lucky time, laugh if it is will have to decide over virgin or qantas or Skywest or qantaslink , regional or domestic . Decisions decisions?

syd16R
26th Feb 2012, 22:56
So is there more AD's coming up in SYD this week?

Sydneysider88
26th Feb 2012, 23:03
No idea. But they advertised again last week for more CC roles. Which was a broad ad for LH SH and Dom.

I'd be tempted to ask if I don't hear back for a long time for my LH application to ask if I can try for Dom. Don't know how that works.

syd16R
26th Feb 2012, 23:11
Ok, well if anyone gets in for SYD Domestic for the 26th March G/S message me!

Cart Attack
26th Feb 2012, 23:54
syd16R - There are AD's scheduled for Tues & Wed this week

Sydneysider88
27th Feb 2012, 06:34
syd16R, youre booked into a GS already yeah?

How long from your AD did you hear back you got the job, or even to medical.

cheers

syd16R
27th Feb 2012, 06:41
Mine was a long winded process as they changed my g/s 2 times on me. But from my AD to my first call was just over a week

Sydneysider88
27th Feb 2012, 06:43
Ahh ok, so youre all set now then and booked into a GS?
I really hope my process speeds up a bit!

syd16R
27th Feb 2012, 07:03
Got my contract today so lets hope so!

kkjanet
27th Feb 2012, 08:13
Hi sydneysider, i think we were in the same AD in january. I was expecting the reference check last week but nothing.. :( have you heard of anything??

Sydneysider88
27th Feb 2012, 08:21
I was at the 31st ad. Syd LH.
Yeah my refs haven't been checked either, 2 weeks for when I got the email saying they would.
Hopefully this week! Or soon! I hope there's a GS booked for LH soon. Was told on the day a possible march 12, but can't see that happening. I don't want to have to wait like other LH people who have bee waiting months and months, some nearly a year.

Who knows whats happening or how they go about it :s

kkjanet
27th Feb 2012, 09:49
Yeap the same one.. We were told the GS is going to be on 12th marh too. I just cannot wait to start working.. Just thinking about it gets me all excited..lol :) Hopefully this week we would hear something? let us know if you hear any news. I will post it up too. XX

Sydneysider88
27th Feb 2012, 09:52
For sure. I hope a GS is soon, means they should start the ball rolling quicker, but who knows, I have no idea what happens next or when it will happen, there are a lot of people waiting. Who knows after this how long a medical will take etc.
Apparently things can move fast or VERY slow.
Lucky to have made it this far, every little step counts. Nearly there, ahh to dream of working for Virgin!

One can only dream and keep trying!

missbilly
28th Feb 2012, 00:05
Hi all

I applied for BNE domestic cabin crew on the 15th Feb - any rough ideas of when Virgin will most likely get in touch regarding invitations to their ADs?

I know it's a horrible waiting process but my impatience is getting the better of me!

Thanks

onecabin
28th Feb 2012, 01:10
I just got a email asking me to do the online assessment for virgin.
WOW its 30 questions and i did not finish , think i messed up. the paragraph s to read are confusing and so hard . is this just me?
it was 30 questions 17 minutes and got to 25 out of 30. verbal reasoning test

did any1 else have to do this test?

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 01:39
The Verbal Reasoning Test is standard prior to going to an AD.
I had to do it, wasn't hard, just comprehension pretty much and answering questions according to facts presented not personal opinion.
Strange for a CC job, but they must gain something from it, probably to see time management whilst in a test/learning environment, and how to read and interpret and judge information presented, and in general how switched on people are??

No idea. Also dont know if there is a 'pass' mark'.

onecabin
28th Feb 2012, 01:50
thats wierd, i got asked to do it after my interview, a week later by email (today) . so every1 did it b4 or did some do it after?

yeah anyways guess same boat as most ppl waiting and unsure.

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 01:54
Thats strange, maybe they do it at different stages. Everyone at my AD did it before.

welcome to the waiting game ;)

onecabin
28th Feb 2012, 02:20
hey so u applied for LH . does that mean u only go to LA and AUH?
also i saw there was a job advertised think its now closed..international cabin crew auckland base...do u know wherre they fly? guessing its just nz and oz?

im in process with domestic, but think i can stil fly places like bali etc maybe even fiji?

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 02:36
Yea dom you can do some intl routes SH i believe, dont know how it works.

Yeah mine was for SYD base LH, so LAX, AUH only.

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 03:33
Hey there,

Were you at the morning or afternoon session?

Yes we are all in the same boat, 2 weeks ago we all got the email, just waiting to get the ref check done. Soon I hope. So dont feel left out, everyone I know is still the same.

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 06:43
Yeah it's frustrating! I thought when they said within the coming week it would be done by now.
But alas, the wait goes on :)

I'd give anything for this job right now or to hear any thing!

Tony.S
28th Feb 2012, 09:26
Just got the email today saying that my application is progressing to the next stage for referee checks. I see that quite a few people got this email 2 weeks ago.. I thought I was unsuccessful because you guys found out that long ago! Im just happy to be through to the next stage though :O

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 09:46
It's a good feeling hey Tony! Just when they will contact them is the question. Still waiting!!

Hopefully things start to move sooner. I have no idea how they do things!

occygirl
28th Feb 2012, 20:23
Congratulations Tony.S! I'm still waiting to hear something, anything about how I did, good to know people are still being told they are successful even though most people found out a few weeks ago. I hope I get the same email as you soon! Do you know of anyone else who was in our position?

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 20:41
Can someone tell us if virgin even send out unsuccessful emails?
I mean if you've been through interviews and ref checks etc.

I just spoke to a few mutual friends yesterday who had interviews more than a year ago and heard nothing.

So no one they knew got emails to say they didn't get it. So it seems they don't.
So to all you out there If you don't hear anything for a long time, I mean, an excessive long time, you may not have got it. Or may. It's frustrating though! Sure it's not hard to generate a generic email but maybe due to volume of applicants people slip through cracks?

occygirl
28th Feb 2012, 21:13
Sydneysider, were your friends applying for domestic or international? They would get a lot more applications through domestic than international so maybe sometimes people would slip through the cracks, I hope it would be different for International...

Surely if they send an email to those who don't even make it to the AD they would have time to let the people who made it through to the interview know that they didn't make it... That's what I would hope anyway.

Sydneysider88
28th Feb 2012, 23:56
They applied for international.

Yeah I'd think If they email people either way I'm sure it's not too hard either way.

boo187
29th Feb 2012, 03:13
hi guys,
I was there for the VA International assessment on the 31st, morning session,
got the email & call over 2 weeks ago for the ref checks.. which still haven't been done according to my references...
at least we seem to all be in the same boat! but aren't they cutting it a bit fine if they want people to start on the 12th?
please keep us all updated if anyone gets contacted by them!

occygirl
29th Feb 2012, 03:35
Hi Boo187,

If you don't mind me asking, how many people got through to the interview stage in the morning session? I was in the afternoon so it would be interesting to know...

marly
29th Feb 2012, 05:27
Since last October I have put an application in for Virgin and have ever only seen my application status say "application acknowledged" then followed by the thank you no thank you letter. I thought what the hell I will give Virgin one last try, just went into be account and the status says "application under review" have never ever seen it say that. So does that mean they are actually looking at my application? :ooh:

Time_To_Fly
29th Feb 2012, 07:37
Hey All...

It has been a while but I got the email today saying they are going to do ref checks... and they did. Within 1 hour of receiving my email, my old boss text me and said they had called (and basically interviewed her too). However, they didn't contact my other two references.

SydSider - In regards to the "thanks, but no thanks"... they do. When i went for an AD about two years ago, I received one 2 days after the AD.

How long was it between the ref checks/medical/offered position... and ground school date???

TTF

onecabin
29th Feb 2012, 07:58
hey attended the interview a week ago and now got email saying progressed thru to reference checks.... said to send any changes within 48hrs and refs will be checked within a week.
so good news i guess
xx
so thought i messed it up with that assesement thingy yesterday.

Sydneysider88
29th Feb 2012, 08:09
Crazy onecabin. Domestic must be moving quick.

My AD was 31 jan
Email saying ref checks to be done on 14 feb
Still waiting. My refs have not bee contacted yet.

I doubt with this many domestic people going through a GS for intl will be any time soon.

Soon find out. I think recruitmet would prioritize contacting refs and offering jobs to GS dates they have booked.
And apparently the training centred and stocked full and busy ATM.

onecabin
29th Feb 2012, 08:40
sydneysider88

u know what tho im now in your position it could be long wait like u now, they said they will contact them , so will see.

hey quick question i know yr LH but i remmber at my interview irs flying salary of 38k.....this seems low is there flying hours as well? its EBA rate and 38k sounds low as my friends who work for DJ domestic say they get like close to a grand a week?

Sydneysider88
29th Feb 2012, 11:31
Not sure to be honest. Im not really in it for the money or benefits so doesn't matter to me.

I'm in it to help people, the team, work for a good company, the experience, the growth, and to be happy and smiling everyday for work not matter how hard or tiring it is :)

Emma-loo
29th Feb 2012, 12:59
Hi guys, I finally got my golden call today...so excited!

Groundschool starts Tuesday 6 th March in Perth, is anyone else on this GS?

Don't give up hope...after 4 months of waiting I finally got there.

Can't wait ;)

melbgirl6
29th Feb 2012, 13:30
Hey guys,

Im new here. Wondering if anyone attended the AD in Melbourne on 14 Feb 2012? And if so have you heard re ref checks yet? I remember them saying 2 weeks, but seeing everyone else's posts... seems like there's a huge delay.

Thanks heaps :):)

Sydneysider88
29th Feb 2012, 21:55
Congrats Emma-loo. So they don't really give you much notice before a GS hey? Not that it worries me I'd be happy for short notice.
So that's a positive for all us waiting.
What was your timeline/wait like/dates? Of the whole thing?

I guess some bases would be busier than others. Ie Sydney.

Time to fly- crazy your refs were checked right away. What base are you for? Any further contact from them since?
The refchecks are pretty much interviews! It's full on.

I guess it's all worth the wait on the end - if you get it. The uncertainty is a killer. At least once your offered a GS you can relax a bit more.

boo187
29th Feb 2012, 22:04
hi occygirl

i think about 19 out of the 41 got through to finals in the morning
what about in the afternoon session?

Time_To_Fly
29th Feb 2012, 22:10
Hey Syd Sider,

I just had another ref check this morning... I have applied for Melb base. DJ recruitment called me this morning wanting to speak to my current manager... a bit hard since they dont know i am looking... so they called another manager.

A friend of mine said they are doing mass recruitment Aus wide. There are two GS in Melbourne. One in March and one in April... then nothing until June. Not sure about the rest of the country but there are probably similar GS.

Getting very nervous now... but i guess i'll know something soon.

TTF

occygirl
29th Feb 2012, 22:29
boo187, I remember counting 14 who made it through to interviews from at least 40 original participants in the afternoon. Do you know if anyone in your group has been sent an unsuccessful email after the interviews?
I'm still waiting to hear from Virgin, my status still says assessment day invite accepted, so I'm not really sure where I stand... By the sounds of it they let you know early on if you are unsuccessful but other times you may not ever hear from them, so... :confused:

Trying to not look into the process too much as it seems there is no rhyme or rhythm to it, everyone seems to have pretty variable experiences. I'm not sure what to expect, whether I should psych myself up for bad news, good news or no news. It's hard knowing that everyone here has heard something and I haven't. Oh well, I will wait forever if it means getting a job with Virgin.

Sydneysider88
29th Feb 2012, 22:29
The ref checks are always nerve racking. As even if theyre excellent, sometimes i have no idea if it meets Virgins criteria or if theyre good enough, and still dont know what they look for.
But if youve come that far then i dont see why you wouldnt get it!

Yeah im still waiting, its annoying. Guess all bases would be different, Syd would be very busy.

3 weeks and no ref check yet. But depends I guess when a GS is booked. If its later, then I guess theyd have no rush, and would prioritise who to contact and push through first, in this case DOM.

I DONT want to wait till juneeee :{

Good luck!!!

And oh - so 14 from the arvo session, 19 from the morning - That's a lot of people! I doubt theyd take that many for Intl.! we were told maybe 10-22 people roughly, but it all depended on the needs of the business.
Plus there's some people on a waitlist, dont know how many though. Wonder what happens :confused:

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 00:44
So both my Ref's just got checked today. :ooh:

YAY. Hope it was sufficient enough to what Virgin wants! Moving forward in the process, hope its a good thing. Step 1030382 of the wait continues for us Intl. people waiting.

Tony.S
1st Mar 2012, 02:04
Hey I just found out one of my references got called too!!Said it was like a 40 minute call!!.. they must be very thorough with their checks on the applicants..
Hope we find out soon and that GS is still on for 12 March!! fingers crossed!!

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 02:12
Ref checks sure are thorough with the airlines. Long phone interviews that tey Match up to our interview answers also.

Fingers crossed to get to a medical.
Hopes not high for a March 12 GS. I'm assuming theyd have given some notice by now. Who knows.

Tony.S
1st Mar 2012, 02:46
Yeah some are.. when I got into Emirates on 2008 they didnt even call my references!! I had one written reference and thats all they used as a reference.. weird.
Virgin are obviously way more thorough :eek:

boo187
1st Mar 2012, 08:01
OMG you guys are so lucky! still awaiting ref checks! this is so frustrating!
although I heard a rumor from inside virgin that the will be pushing back to April and/or June... :s eeeeeeek! hope not ... :ugh:

onecabin
1st Mar 2012, 08:59
well done to all you's for getting calls and references checked. good news hey.
stil trying to clarify how much the salary is?

also....its interesting that those ref checks can take up to 40 minutes, makes me a little worried. :)

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 09:02
Yeah they do take a while, but I guess it determines if we have what they are looking for, and they sometimes match up our answers to what our refs say about us. But it is thorough these days.

Salary, I have no idea, we were only given a rough estimate, but thats for LH intl.
I'd say it would most prob. be around the $38K mark. They tell you at the AD you attend, and tell people who have mortgages etc if they cant live off the base they pay, they should think about going further, thats what they told us.

Time_To_Fly
1st Mar 2012, 09:14
Base Salary is $38k
plus you get $108 every night away from base
overtime ranges from $19 - $25 per hour depending on the number of minutes over 9.5 hours
Called off available/standby $16 per hour

So.. there is definately potential to earn well above the base salary. And I am loving the 6 weeks annual leave per year. Not to mention staff travel.

$500 per year (April to march) credit for you and a nominated other at staff travel rates. After that you just pay the staff travel rates. 32 sectors to give to anyone you like at staff travel rates. Plus other benefits on partner airlines (discounts vary).

I hope this clears things up for you One Cabin...

TTF

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 10:45
I know this question may sounds silly..but if you're working LH , and you have days off / take holidays. Can you take it abroad?
Ie. work and fly to LAX take your week of and fly back. Pretty much can you take your time off ad have it o/s instead of here??

No idea how it all works in the industry.

onecabin
1st Mar 2012, 10:58
sydneysider 88

u have hit the nail on the head, i will ake the first ariline that gives me the opportunity to do this, i was with emirates and we used to litrally fly to bangkok on days off for the weekend.

i too plan to get the job with virgin and on days off fly to bali etc and use staff travel , thats what we r here for.
however not too sure how it works with virgin here.
but if im domestic and yr international... we both get benifits so should be able to do anything on our days off.

xx

Emma-loo
1st Mar 2012, 11:16
Hi guys,

Applied 15 th October
Interview 7th November
13 th November offered place on 17 th November GS but had to turn down due to a work commitment I couldn't get out off.
Put back in talent pool till new year... And I wait.
4 February first contact to say they've not forgot me and GS planned for 6 th March
17 th February contacted me to say references would be being contacted next week.
22 February refs contacted
23 February contacted to say I passed ref checks and given online test
24 February contacted to say I passed the test and onto medical
27 February had medical- pretty thorough medical
29 February called to say I got the job and could finally hand my notice in. Thank god my boss was so understanding.

So once they want you it moves pretty quickly but as you can see they don't like to give much notice.;)

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 11:23
Whaaat! Another online test after a red check?? What was the test like/about??
How thorough was the medical.
Crazy. Now I have another online test to worry about :S they didn't mention that.

Oh well.

Congrats though Emma-loo!!

Time_To_Fly
1st Mar 2012, 20:54
Hey Syd Sider,

It is almost right. On you days off you can pretty much go anywhere on the network. But when you are working, you have to complete your round trip. You cant operate to LAX, have 2 weeks off, and then operate back. It doesn't work like that (unfortunately).... But still at $500 for an economy ticket return to LAX... it doesnt really matter :)

TTF

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 21:20
Thanks, that's what I thought. And that $500 is only given once hey. So if you use the 509 in yourself, after that you pay full price?
I wonder if you pay extra can you go business. They'd have to let you somehow fly business or only put of your own pocket?

Time_To_Fly
1st Mar 2012, 21:29
The $500 is free travel... anything after take you have to pay but still at staff travel rates (still super cheap). The $500 is a yearly bonus. It gets refreshed every April.

RE: Business Class. It is about $2000 return to LAX on staff travel rates so you would only have to pay the difference.

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 21:35
Thatnks TTF. that makes sense.

Do you know anything about an online test you have to pass AFTER ref checks? Or it is if people didn't do the verbal reaosning.
I had no idea about another online test. I thought just ref check and medical. Then they review it all and decide.

onecabin
1st Mar 2012, 23:21
Golden CAll !! well kind of
yesterday they checked my refs, today they called to say checks done and do the medical, and confrim your attendance to the 2 april ground school.

sweet.

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 23:23
For domestic onecabin? Which base? When was you AD.

onecabin
1st Mar 2012, 23:25
actually got 2 email them to confrim medical date, not ground school.
wel anyways its not definite yet but i would be pretty confident
. hey ----->> TTF and Sydney
yeah hope to use travel and see u peeps flying around sometime

Sydneysider88
1st Mar 2012, 23:35
So they've asked you for a medical in a months time? Cray. Good news for you though!
Which base are you going for?

Good luck.

onecabin
1st Mar 2012, 23:56
sorry 4 the unclarity.
nah they said so medical now (just let them know the date as medicals r sent to Virgin),
GS start in one month.
BNE base.

missbilly
2nd Mar 2012, 00:09
Anyone know of any upcoming? I applied on Feb 15 and application just says 'application acknowledged'. Haven't received any emails or phone calls as yet.

boo187
2nd Mar 2012, 01:23
congrats onecabin !

can I ask... did u tell Virgin that you had to give notice to your employer of a month or anything? just trying to see as I told them i didnt have to give any notice if they prioritze contacting refs like that?
thanks

Sydneysider88
2nd Mar 2012, 02:15
Yes they do that to attach to your applicatin / file. Simply to identify you and put name to face.

Same as other airlines ask for a hard copy photo. Virgin does it themselves.

In regards to notice periods, I dont have to give any notice, but I know people who got through so far and do. So I wouldn't say they'd go by that necessarily, as most people working would have to I guess.

onecabin
2nd Mar 2012, 09:03
yeah thats true with pics they did it 4 every1.

notice period i said one week.
but agree with sydneysid... they would have to tel people who put 2 weeks down even earlier.

xxx hope u all have a good weekend

Emma-loo
3rd Mar 2012, 00:31
Hi guys, in regards to notice periods I told them I required two weeks but in the end ended up not getting an actual offer till 6 days before the GS start date.

Which you can't really hand your notice in till you've got.

Tyman
3rd Mar 2012, 06:48
Has anyone heard of any interview dates when the opened applications in Jan?
/ ground school dates etc......:ugh:

Sydneysider88
3rd Mar 2012, 07:23
Interviews all done tyman. Done on 31jan.
GS march or April. No dates yet. We are all waiting.
We have all Done refs checks etc.
Group size to be based on needs of the business approx 10-20.

Only long haul I know of for now. Syd only.

Danfromaus
3rd Mar 2012, 08:50
Just to claify:
Staff travel: Each year its $1000 that cabin crew get given to use on the VA network

I heard from an inside source that they are putting training on the back burner for a few months-theyve asked their trainers to take their leave now.
Also, as the aviation industry is always changing, they like to recruit a talent pool, then when they need people they take them from that, Theres also rumours of long haul expansion-adding new routes, more wide body aircraft and more recruitment for int cabin crew

GoldCoast1
3rd Mar 2012, 08:54
Tyman

More interviews coming up for Long Haul (Arabic Speakers), assessment days mid march...

GC1

Sydneysider88
3rd Mar 2012, 09:03
Training on the back burner for who? Long haul?

Argh. So frustrating. Why speed up recruitment when they ALREADY HAVE MANY in a talent pool. Why bother seriously??
Told GS was to be march for our LH group. Found out from a few friends/inside sources saying its pushed back.
Surely a GS is going to happen soon if they're doing all this and processing our applications quickly in the last couple weeks. I've heard from many people in VA that LH training is going ahead. Unless something changed since yesterday.

I know that things always change and they cancel. But why bother recruiting and recruiting for an endless talent pool and lie to us. We were told they need LH and this was not for a talent pool. Don't like being lied to by 4 recruiters. but guess they wouldn't know either.
I honestly don't know why they tell us training is going ahead very soon and some say it's not some say it is. Looks like a case of he said she said and on the end nothing.
Domestic is all moving quick! And going ahead.

Who knows. Will find out eventually. And If im still waiting in a years time.

People from a talent pool for LH from last year are having refs andmedicals done now. So surely something is in the works? I've heard from many there is.

WqAnd now recruiting in march AGAIN for Arabic speakers when they did that last June/july.

So frustrating. Clarity would Be nice virgin :ugh:

Time_To_Fly
4th Mar 2012, 03:50
$1000 for staff travel... even better.

I don't know where you are getting your info from but I know for a fact there is one GS this month and one in April for Melbourne base... And there are a couple in other bases too for March and April. All for domestic though... not international.

Ever since CASA made Virgin change from operating a 1:50 ratio down to a 1:36 ratio basically means that the need 1 extra crew member on every boeing flight. Thats why they are mass recruiting in all bases. I really dont think they are slowing down on training... Not until that quota is reached.

TTF

Sydneysider88
4th Mar 2012, 04:20
That's what I've heard TTF also. That there is training.

I just want to know for intl LH what's happening. As them seem to be recruiting specifically for LH too. And told us at the AD it was not for talent pool. But the did say they only needed people depending on the needs of the business. 10-23positons. So big variable.

See what happens.

syd16R
4th Mar 2012, 04:51
Anyone let me know if they find out this week if there in the 26th March G/S for Sydney domestic?? PM me!

Sydneysider88
4th Mar 2012, 07:18
Syd16r. I wonder if they will offer any of us LH people domestic positions like the last LH group.
If so some may be in the 26th GS with you if they offer it and take it! This happened last year.

AND it also looks more and more like what is happening last year too. :{
They recruited for LH international, and then took some arabic speakers. Put the rest in a talent pool, or offered Dom.

Now they are advertising/recruiting for arabic speakers again with a mid march AD, theyll probably be taken with first preference over all the people waiting currently and just had refs done from our LH AD in January, which sucks. Wish I spoke Arabic now.

I really dont want to be fobbed off like the last lot and made to wait 8+ months and some of who are still waiting to hear something, or put in the talent pool. :ugh: :( :{ I guess it is what it is. Time to find a filler-in job till I hear something.

Im sure something has to be happening. It would be strange if not. Surely they dont need another 20-30 people in the talent pool for LH, but guess no one knows how they do things.

boo187
5th Mar 2012, 06:30
hi SYD LH wannabes that were at the assessment on the 31st Jan
how many of you have had thei r References checked?

Sydneysider88
5th Mar 2012, 06:39
Hi. Mine have and know of 2 others who have also.
Done last Thursday, and VA were very happy with mine they told my refs after, so yay!

now the wait continues to see if anyone will get hired or put in the talent pool.

boo187
5th Mar 2012, 06:44
ok cool.
i am seriously confused as to why they would call to say they are checking refs and not do it?? lost is an understatement! :ugh:

Sydneysider88
5th Mar 2012, 07:01
I think they are so busy with recruitment etc. They took 2 1/2 weeks to do mine and others. I'm hoping to hear soon and praying for a medical.

kkjanet
5th Mar 2012, 08:02
Hi Boo187!
I havent got mine done either.. All my refrees are waiting and wondering..
I only know Syd and Tony got thier ref checked from this forum.. Anyone else?

ilana182
5th Mar 2012, 08:34
Does anyone know when they might start BNE AD's?

Tony.S
5th Mar 2012, 09:48
Hey boo,
Had my reference checks done last week too. I wouldn't worry or be too confused... It seems they do things at different times for each applicant. They called my refs the day after I got the email, and as you heard it took them 2 weeks to call others. Don't stress :)

missbilly
5th Mar 2012, 11:32
Hey ilana 182
I'm eagerly awaiting news of Brissie ADs too so let me know if you hear anything. Will be three weeks on Wednesday since my application. When did you apply? Fingers crossed we hear something very soon!

syd16R
5th Mar 2012, 20:35
Did anyone attend the AD's in Sydney last week? Was it for domestic, and do you know what G/S it would be for. Still waiting to see if anyone is coming to the G/S on 26th March?

Sydneysider88
5th Mar 2012, 21:06
Syd16r I think the ad last week was domestic. Had a few intl LH people who re interviewed as they were in the talent pool.

Strange you've had no response to people attending March 26 GS!

Can anyone help shed some light on what's exactly involved with Virgin Medicals?
Procedures/process/pass rate/specifics/what they ask or do
For those of you who have done it.

Thanks!

syd16R
5th Mar 2012, 21:37
Thanks for the reply.
The Medical involves Drug/Alcohol test.
Balance and Muscle Test
Heart Rate
Hearing and Sight
Pulling and Pushing etc

Cart Attack
5th Mar 2012, 21:39
Syd16r - We were told last week in Syd they were still looking to fill a few positions for the 26th and then additional G/S to start April and into May. But no specific dates given.

Still waiting to hear if I got through to the reference checks.

syd16R
5th Mar 2012, 21:46
Thanks Cart!
Good Luck for the ref check etc, hopefully you are in the 26th G/S
Its pretty quick from when they do reference checks to medical to getting the job! Let me know how you get on!

Sydneysider88
5th Mar 2012, 22:08
Hope it does move quick. Refs were checked last thurs, so wonder how long it takes to the next step, some have waited A LONG time.
But the whole LH intl. thing can't be compared to domestic movement I don't think! Domestic seems to pretty move quickly lately, but not fur us it seems, Unfortunately.
If i hear something re medical this week, it will be a MIRACLE.

I want LH, but maybe should have also applied for Domestic as a fall back too if LH doesnt come through for months and monthsssss.

Time_To_Fly
6th Mar 2012, 05:16
Just got the medical call. Booked in for tomorrow. Start date 19 March.

Again... thanks for the notice.

TTF

Sydneysider88
6th Mar 2012, 06:04
CONGRATS TTF!
But lovely notice haha! Wish I got that call!

Mel base Dom yeah? So lucky!
i'm Dying here, all you domestic people are so lucky! VERY lucky.

COME ON LONG HAUL!!!!!!! :{

I dont want to be pension age before I find out... :uhoh:

also, do Virgin pay for GS, how much?

A_View_Divine
6th Mar 2012, 09:29
See you there TTF!

Tony.S
7th Mar 2012, 04:00
Yeah baby! Just got the call that I'm through to medical now!

Ref checks passed :)

2 Ground school dates- one on the 16th of April and one on the 30th of April

Even though it's another 5 week wait minimum.. I'm so happy to know I only have my medical in the way now.

Good luck to the others waiting to hear ! :ok:

syd16R
7th Mar 2012, 04:08
Well Done. Is that for BNE?
Anyone else found out yet for SYD Domestic?

Tony.S
7th Mar 2012, 04:09
Long Haul Syd base :)

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 04:11
Oh my god tony!!!

Hope I get the call today!!

You've been waiting the same as me!!

syd16R
7th Mar 2012, 04:22
Ah Good work! So there will be Long Haul and Domestic G/S going on at the same time!

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 05:18
GOT MY CALL TOO!

Woo hoo. Preference given for the April 16th start.

Hope to go to medical tomorrow in Syd. They're making offers after you pass.

Long Haul here we come :)

Marcus2
7th Mar 2012, 06:11
Woohoo! Congrats guys. I'm in training now and it's great... really well conducted. There are lots of Virgin Longhaul crew in my groundschool who wanted to transfer over to domestic. They said all they did was LAX, and maybe an AUH every month of so. I hope they get more destinations! But rumor says they are going to expand the domestic A330 fleet into Asia.

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 06:22
Yeah long haul will be a bit same old after a while, but excited as thats what i want for now. but theres room to grow in the company in many ways. I want long haul.
Yeah heard the rumors too about new routes and expansion...lets see!! and more planes. hope they do it!!

SO happy to work for VA. Hope i pass the medical now!!! Way too excited.

Time_To_Fly
7th Mar 2012, 08:24
Congrats Everyone...

Looks like they are on the move again. I just had my medical. Allow about 2 hours... (My $360 medical just became $420 due to a $60 parking fine...) I'll just put that one down as employment expenses.

I really hope i get the final call tomorrow as it is eating away into my 2 weeks notice. The next melbourne ground school is in 11 days time... Arrrhhh...

Keep us posted....

TTF

A_View_Divine
7th Mar 2012, 08:30
TTF

agh $360? I was hoping it would be on the other side of three, It will be all worth it if we get there in the end I guess.

Parking fine is not ideal either :bored:

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 08:36
Yeah its around $350 to $360 she said. :(

Shame about the parking! Ill have to remember to park somewhere free!!

Was the medical hard? Did they tell you at the time if you passed??

So eager, hope i can book in tomorrow.

Time_To_Fly
7th Mar 2012, 09:12
They couldn't say yes or no but you kinda get the idea. The physio component you need to get at least 80% pass mark. They dont tell you if you get it, but in the back of you mind if you can do at least 80% of the things, you will be fine. I'm pretty sure i got 100%... the only thing i doubted is my BMI (i am carrying a little extra baggage... pardon the pun). All of the physio exercises are generally related to the job.

Lifting 7kgs above your head 12 times (hand luggage)
Pulling and pushing 80ks 6 times (like a human body)
Moving 15kgs from one side of the room to the other 12 times (exit hatch)
Holding a weight and moving your wrist 12 times (like pouring a pot of coffee... or tea!!)
Holding a weight and leaning forward (like delivering a tray or pulling a door closed)
Stepping up and down a step for 6 minutes getting faster every 2 mins (checking heart rate)
Holding your arms up high for 3 minutes (like playing with the containers)
Bent over for 3 minutes (bending down into a cart)
Push ups
Balancing
Stretching
Height
Weight

The nurse takes the breathaliser and drug test, then the vision test and hearing test. After that you see a doctor and they give you feedback. No answer but you could generally tell if it is good or bad.

I hope that helps everyone who is going for the medical soon... Good Luck!!!

TTF

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 09:23
Im sure i can do all that. Crazy!
Im sure ill get a bit puffed with the steps for 6mins, but im pretty fit. So hope all goes well!

How flexible in the stretching do they expect you to be? hopefully not like a gymnast haha.

Good luck!

Tony.S
7th Mar 2012, 09:34
Well done Sydneysider! I put preference for the 16th as well!
Thanks for the heads up TTF on the medical! Hope the results come back good for you

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 09:40
When are you taking yours Tony?
Hope to see you at GS and hope we pass the medical!

Booked medical for end of next week. They're fully booked in syd and that was the earliest :(

Another week or so to find out. What a shame!

boo187
7th Mar 2012, 23:01
finally at least one of my references have been checked! makes me feel a little better... now to see if they check the next once since its an overseas reference!

congrats to you guys who got through to medicals :O

syd16R
7th Mar 2012, 23:14
Boo, are you domestic or long haul?

onecabin
7th Mar 2012, 23:15
heyhey
well dont TTF and Sydney
congrats
yah i just did my medical yesterday, wear something comfortable lol.

ahhh so yeah just waiting now for them to say im good and start.
xxx

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 23:40
syd16r how long after your medical did you get the offer call?
I hope I can get into the April 16th GS.

syd16R
7th Mar 2012, 23:42
I got the call the same day as the medical

Cart Attack
7th Mar 2012, 23:46
Well Done Guys.

Very Envious.

Got through the AD last week & then asked to complete the online verbal reasoning test. Now just awaiting the results and hopefully onto reference checks.

I know we all talk about the waiting game here but did anyone find they had to wait weeks between the online test and getting through to references?

Surely they would know instantly if you passed of failed. Anyone here pass that thought they did badly?

Cheers

Sydneysider88
7th Mar 2012, 23:49
CartAttack

Some did online assessment after the AD, I did mine before AD, some have not had to do it at all.
Dont know how they score it, but I know everyone I know passed.

It is a waiting game. I applied 16th Jan, guess not too long. They actually were delayed in letting LH know, as we were meant to start GS next week but they pushed it back.

Youll find out soon enough! Shouldnt take long after the online test.

boo187
8th Mar 2012, 03:53
SYD16R ... i applied for Long Haul

OneCabin you SYD LH?

marly
8th Mar 2012, 04:33
4th thank you but no thank you from Virgin - don't know what you are looking for - but I hope you do.

I will not be applying again

Sydneysider88
8th Mar 2012, 04:46
Sorry to hear marly!
Im sure youll get flying and love whoever you end up working for!
It is hard to know what they look for and how they pick.

mapsyd
8th Mar 2012, 06:37
Hi everyone. Newbie here at this forum thing, so I hope I posted in the right area...
OK, well, I have applied twice with Virgin for Melbourne base (online) and twice I get a thanks but no thanks email....
Now, what gets me so upset and confused is why?????
I don't want to sound arrogant, but after 19 years of face to face customer service roles, most of which were in a management position I wonder what else they need to even offer me the chance to prove myself at an AD.
It seems I am not even worthy of that.
I pondered whether it is because of my age????? 40 this year....eeek! ha ha ha
But seriously, can anyone who works there advise on what else they need from me?
I have my relevant skills which mirror their requirements and also all the certifications they need.
If anyone has any opinions I would love to hear from you.
I am still slightly hopeful that maybe one day they may see me as someone worth inviting to an assessment but my hopes have been crushed thus far and I wonder if perhaps I am "to old" to take the punishment of not even making it past the online application. It kind of shatters your hopes and makes you ponder about how inadequate one may be in their eyes.
Yes, a tad dramatic, but I am a bit low today after another rejection.
Thanks guys, look forward to your feedback.

Sydneysider88
8th Mar 2012, 06:49
It is hard to say.
I believe at first the resume says a lot, and your answers in the application. The way you word things, the layout on a resume is important, ive found. But just being real and yourself, and simple.

They have their ways and means of sifting through, I have no Idea.
I got in first go, first airline i applied for, totally a newbie to the industry. So cant say. Then again people who had a lot of experience didnt, some did.
Only have a lot of people skills and extensive customer service in many environments which can transfer to cabin crew.

I have no idea. I dont think age is necessarily a factor, as older people at my AD got through also.

Its a hard one. The hardest thing is getting past the initial application I think, as im the type of person that likes things face to face. But i did put hard work into my application, but answered and put in honesty, integrity and truth.

Good luck all :ok:

mapsyd
8th Mar 2012, 07:02
Thank you so much for your input. I believe that my resume is quite apt and describes my roles and so forth in previous employment and answered the online questions the best way I knew how, I researched the proper way to answer them and gave a real life example. Maybe I over wrote on it....maybe that was the problem????
I am so confused, and am even more disheartened by the fact that some get in first time no worries.... and I mean no disrespect to you of course.
What would your answers be on the online application then? should they be short and brief or actually show them that you know what they are looking for?
I am clasping at straws here and wonder how my frustration will sound, but gee...when you know you can do the job and you can't even get off the starting block it is a real heart puller.
Thanks again, you are most helpful.

PS what format should my resume be? am I able to show it to you and perhaps you can critique it?
Cheers

Sydneysider88
8th Mar 2012, 07:10
Resume doesnt have to follow a specific 'format' as such, as im sure people who get in format it anyway, i just know in the past computers read a lot of resumes these days and layout helps if thats the case, google it, it has a lot of info. :8

as for the answers, i answered them honestly, didnt read into it, didnt research, didnt fuss. short simple concise, honest, and reflected my personality and how i speak/think/care about things.

I guess all i can say for the whole application process, AD, interviews etc, I was just myself, and only me. How i am all the time.

So dont know, guess they liked it.

Its very hard to say what they look for, but they do look at past experience and your personality on the day. but hard if you dont get past the first stage.

keep trying and be yourself!

(oh and didnt type quick and crappy/net type like i do on here haha)

mapsyd
8th Mar 2012, 07:15
Ha ha ha.....well done, I am sure you will be a great member of the crew.
I am sorry if I sound down and perhaps I over thought the entire process and again had a failure. I will find out what the computer read CV is all about and try again some day, as I am sure I can not apply for a long time.
Thank you, you have been very kind.

Sydneysider88
8th Mar 2012, 07:17
6 months you can re apply.
It is a long process, took 3 months to hear for me. But im sure worth it. It starts to eat away at you eventually, lucky my wait wasnt TOO bad.

Good luck, re apply.

flyawaywithva
8th Mar 2012, 08:17
Finally got my invite to the next round - medical here I come! Hoping for VA LH 16 April. Can hardly bear the excitement.

Time_To_Fly
9th Mar 2012, 04:33
This is killing me... I did my medical 2 days ago and the ground school is in 9 days time.

I can't believe they expect us to give such short notice. I'm gonna feel like a bastard when i have to resign... if I get the job of course!!!

Sydneysider88
9th Mar 2012, 04:36
I was told they will ring us on the day or day after. But they are a lot busier with domestic as opposed to LH. Hope I don't have to wait long!
Mine is on Thursday and I couldn't bare to wait over the weekend!!!

Time_To_Fly
9th Mar 2012, 04:41
Thats how I feel... To wait over the weekend doesn't bother me too much. I'm pretty confident the medical went well. It is more the fact that IF they call on Monday, it is only 7 days notice.... And i am basically loosing $200 a day, that my current employer will take for not giving them enought notice. Arrrhhhhhh.......

boo187
9th Mar 2012, 06:14
woohooo got my medical call today :) so excited!
it was 4pm when they called so couldnt book my medical yet but they told me there is slots still open for friday!
and she only mentioned that i would start april 16th. which is awesome .. exactly 3 years to the date that i got my 1st pair of wings with EY!

hopefully the medical goes fine! i think they have alot of confidence in all of us to pass or they wouldn't put us through!

so good luck everyone going for medicals next week :)

Sydneysider88
9th Mar 2012, 06:26
Congrats boo!
Interesting they only offered you april 16th. Hoping I get in that one also!
Good luck with the medical.

Hope we all find out by the end of next week!

Tony.S
9th Mar 2012, 06:42
Medical done! They said at the clinic it was all good so I'm nearly there!
Ps boo.. You were at the morning session right?..
Can't wait!!!! Bring on the 16th or April!

Sydneysider88
9th Mar 2012, 06:51
Congrats Tony.S
We are all in, I just know. Just have to get the medicals out of the way. Let us know when you get your call!

Was the medical hard? Do you have to pass 100% and do crazy well at the physical?

boo187
10th Mar 2012, 02:21
thanks Sydney ! I'm sure we will all do just fine :) no need to worry!

yeah Tony I was... ur ex EK & Air Oz?

the next 5 weeks better go by fast! LOL
:ok:

pacificsky_2013
10th Mar 2012, 22:46
Hey guys, how long did it take after your referees were called, to get the medical invite?

boo187
10th Mar 2012, 22:56
pacificsky - personally i got the medical call just 20 minutes after my 2nd reference got off the phone with them but i think everyone has been different!
what base are you going for?

pacificsky_2013
10th Mar 2012, 23:07
Boo- Brisbane, they called my refs, and I haven't heard anything for a week

Sydneysider88
10th Mar 2012, 23:26
I had my medical call a week and a half after my ref check.

pacificsky_2013
11th Mar 2012, 00:04
Sydneysider- thanks for sharing, that gives me some hope I'm still in with a chance

dream2flyaway
11th Mar 2012, 23:30
Hi Everyone!

I have received the medical call and I am booked in for medical this week for VA Long Haul.

I've noticed a few of you have either done your medical for LH or you are doing it this week.

Has anyone received the call to say they are definitely on the 16th April GS? I just want to know generally how long after medical do we get the call!

Thanks everyone! :)

Sydneysider88
11th Mar 2012, 23:59
Yes I am also dying to know if anyone has a definite start after Medicals. Or how many of you are there!

Let us know when you hear. Most have Medicals this week so hopefully we hear soon.

syd16R
12th Mar 2012, 00:01
Any further people heard about starting there domestic G/S on 26th March! Hope there is someone on here that I can speak with soon!

Time_To_Fly
12th Mar 2012, 01:19
I am supposed to be staring on 19 March. Did my medical on Wednesday last week. Now... still waiting, waiting, waiting.

I am surprised they are sorting out people/ground schools for April when they don't even have next week sorted out yet...

TTF

Sydneysider88
12th Mar 2012, 01:22
TTF I believe our LH group/GS is being looked after someone different, someone specific.
Domestic is rather busy, and I think there would be more to go through at the moment, so dont know :confused:
But as far as I know and from what I have heard someone is looking after us LH people and letting us know ASAP.

dy1ng_to_fly
12th Mar 2012, 02:05
Hi guys,
Four years after my first AD with DJ, I've applied again and I have the AD Thursday morning. Back when I did it, I think the role play caught me out - ill be glad to go without that!
Would love any tips or to hear from anyone who will be there this week :)

Cart Attack
12th Mar 2012, 03:24
Just thought i'd share an update.

Was at the Syd domestic AD a few weeks ago and completed the online testing last week.

Just found out one of my reference have been called so hoping the other will be today also. Weird thing is, my online status hasn't changed and I havn't been notified they would contact my references.

Maybe they've done this so you can't 'prep' your references.

Fingers crossed for 26th GS

syd16R
12th Mar 2012, 03:38
Cart-Attack! You are for SYD domestic? Let me know if you get through to the G/S on 26/3

mapsyd
12th Mar 2012, 07:31
Hi guys and girls. Just wondering if any of you could help with a little guidance to the Virgin online application questionnaire????? in the fields where they ask

1. What do you enjoy the most about working with customers?
2. What skills or qualities are important for dealing effectively with customers? Please provide an example of when you have displayed these.
3. Why do you want to be a Cabin Crew team member with Virgin Australia?
4. What value do you believe you could add to the Virgin Australia team?

What would you suggest my approach should be? short answers or a longer more meaningful answer?
I have got a draft of all answers but since I fear being rejected once again I really want to get these answers correct and in the right format.
some of my answers have averaged from 75 words for the first question to 385 words for question 2.....is this way to much????? The wording is spot on but again, I do not want to stuff it up, or worse, bore them.
I am happy to PM any of you with my answers if you wish to critique or suggest how to trim them down.....
I know it sounds desperate but I really just want to get past this stage so that I can go to an AD and show them exactly what I am about and how I feel I would make a great crew member. (hopefully)
Thank you all and any help would be wonderful.
Cheers

sydney90
12th Mar 2012, 07:33
Hey Guys,

Went to my AD back in mid December, and recieved a call saying I was successful and that my references would be checked. I then recieved another call in mid January saying that I was successful and that I would be required to take a medical. As I had holidays book in, they said they would put me on a waiting list, and then get back to be by the end of February with details on my medical. I am still yet to hear anything.

Does anybody have an email address or contact number that I can follow this up on? Feel free to PM it to me if you don't wish to post it here.

I would really appreciate your help guys.

Cheers :)

kkjanet
12th Mar 2012, 07:59
I had my reference checked last Wednesday and received an email instead of a phone call to get the medical assessment for LH.
I've almost missed the email as it was in the spam mail box.. wheeew..;)
I'm booked in for med next monday(19th) which was the earliest.. Hope that's not too late.. and as I didn't receive a call I have no idea when the GS is gonna be for me..
so is the GS on 16th April for everyone?? or they were just asking for your preference??

Time_To_Fly
12th Mar 2012, 08:00
I finally got the "YES" call....

I got a call from Brisbane saying I got the job. Starting on Monday...

Thank god... I was going crazy just waiting. I'm sure you will get your calls soon.

TTF

A_View_Divine
12th Mar 2012, 08:38
CONGRATULATIONS Time_To_Fly!

Seems like everything is moving along nicely for everyone currently.

Sydneysider88
12th Mar 2012, 10:59
Strange you guys did not get a call re medical.
Did you get given a GS date?

Seems only a few of us are having medicals this week then, as they are booked out and most next week.

Apparently there is GS on 16th and 30th. Dont know how it will work for positions, but i was told 16th.

Bobby07
12th Mar 2012, 22:51
Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on the Brisbane cabin crew intake. My references were called a week ago and im still waiting to hear back. I was told flight school start date is the 2nd of April which is only 3 weeks away and still have not heard anything about a medical. Does this mean I have been unsuccessful? and if so do they send you an email or do you just never hear back? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

Pacificsky_2013 i see your in the same boat, have you heard anything yet?

onecabin
13th Mar 2012, 10:30
Bobby hey my update...one week ago I did my medical... Stil waiting for confirmation that i got the job and to commence ground school on second April.
Brisbane domestic
Well done time to fly u gave us all hope

Bobby07
13th Mar 2012, 10:45
Thank you for the update! I feel like I'm going crazy, I just really want to know if I have made it to the next stage. I want this opportunity so much but I am kind of loosing out hope with GS less then 3 weeks away and still having heard nothing about medical. My references were good but from what I have read on here even if they are it can go either way and I feel like If I was successful I would have been contacted already :{
Im sure you will be fine! very excited for you, I think once you make it to medical your in :ok:

pacificsky_2013
13th Mar 2012, 23:36
Hi Bobby, I haven't heard a thing yet

misst_ek
14th Mar 2012, 02:44
bobby07 & onecabin - when did you guys attend your AD? I had mine mid Feb and recieved an email about 2 weeks ago saying my references are going to be called but they haven't yet and I've heard nothing. I know with my previous airline this whole process can take months but I've just come home from Dubai, no job, sorta sitting around waiting and my patience (and money) is running out haha... ohhhh so stressful! :ugh:

Sydneysider88
14th Mar 2012, 02:51
Welcome to what my world was like. No job for 7 months. Waiting for virgin hoping I got the job!
References took 2 weeks do don't stress. The whole process can take months then speeds up in weeks / days.

Now waiting after a medical tomorrow to hear. Waiting gameeeeeee.

Time_To_Fly
14th Mar 2012, 03:20
Hey Bobby,

I got my medical call 11 days before ground school. The golden call 7 days before ground school and the letter of offer 6 days before.

Be prepared to wait and dont let it get to you too much.

TTF

syd16R
14th Mar 2012, 03:33
Still haven't heard if anyone is joining me for G/S for Domestic in Sydney on the 26th March??

Sydneysider88
14th Mar 2012, 04:16
You may be all alone syd16r!

syd16R
14th Mar 2012, 04:20
Looks like it. Well looks like it will be a nice ground school for 1!

Bobby07
14th Mar 2012, 04:37
misst_ek - I know how you feel :ugh: so frustrating! I don't think I have checked my emails so much in my life. I went to my RD mid Feb as well and its been going along quite nicely till now lol hopefully its just one of those things and were still in with a chance!

Sydneysider & TTF - Thank you so much for that, iv been moping around all day but after reading that it has given me new hope that I could still get that magic medical call lol. Its just so confusing when other people have already been sent for medicals, some not even had their references checked and then when you read even good references sometimes don't make the cut it really gets you thinking.

A_View_Divine
14th Mar 2012, 06:27
Don't give up hope everyone! I had my medical this morning and received the official call of offer only 2 hours after, and start on Monday as discussed last Tuesday

Sydneysider88
14th Mar 2012, 06:31
WHAT!? Do you get your uniform before GS now?

I thought uniforms were given after a few weeks at GS??
Or is uniform before GS for domestic only?

anyone know?

A_View_Divine
14th Mar 2012, 06:34
It's just a fitting but I imagine if their hours are 9-4 M-F then we can't skip out on GS for a fitting, I will know more tomorrow when I make an appointment I guess, but I imagine we receive uniforms mid way through training, anyone please correct me if you know!

Actually called Melbourne today and she said we have our fittings scheduled in GS, so not sure why that info was on my email?

Sydneysider88
14th Mar 2012, 06:36
Yeah i thought it was mid training. Very cool!
The uniform hangar at sydney base is at the training centre, and i think SYD does them during GS as its on the same property.

Good luck!

Just anohter question

Do they email you a start date / confirmation of offer when they call you? Did you get anything in writing, or have to wait for it in the post?
thanks