PDA

View Full Version : DE SO/FO

FlyPurdue
6th Feb 2012, 12:42
Hi All,

I went through the Cathay cadet selection process about two years ago. I was not selected after attending grading in Adelaide. Now, fast forward two years, I am a senior EMB-145 first officer based at and living in New York City. I really enjoy the job - but it is still my goal to join a long haul international carrier. I now meet, and exceed all the requirements for the past DE FO/SO positions. Do you know when and if, the Direct entry schemes will start? I am not that interested in the expat housing allowance, as I live in NYC, and would hope to based at JFK.

Cheers!

404 Titan
6th Feb 2012, 12:51
Unfortunately there are no more bases and if there were you are on the bottom of the seniority list and there is a very large group of pilots senior to you also wanting a base. All current and future recruitment is onto a HK base only. For your benifit I would be very concerned about any housing allowance the company may offer you. I can guarantee you it will be substandard.

FlyPurdue
6th Feb 2012, 13:01
Thanks 404, that is good to know. I do not think I will take a HK bases without the full housing benefits that the rest of the worlds major airlines still do offer. The industry here in the states is changing. There is very few 'A' scale jobs, and we are all stuck on the D scale (scales B & C where skipped). I read much negativity toward Qatar Airways, but that might be a good option, good pay, relatively quick command upgrade, and a great onboard product. I have heard of a few people whom even commute! We will see!

Cheers!

boxerpilot
16th Feb 2012, 04:47
Well, the days of expatriate terms are numbered. With pilots willing to work on local terms from India, Ex Thomas Cook, Air Mexicana, JAL....not counting the ex military folk and P2F guys who will jump at cockpit opportunities. Many so called major airlines are re-orientating their expat packages and only in places where 'Hardship' and poorer living conditions exist will u get that premium. Even so, those tht are cushy won't be easily left vacant for newbies. The list is long and distinguished. HK, Singapore, Shanghai cant possibly considered hardship anymore with yr ridiculous amounts required for cost of living. BUt these companies do not new to appease pilots anymore as it has become increasingly evident, wht ha SQ expat pilots been relegated to? Jetstarasia Captains. So sneer the roses I guess. The inevitable will come. Cos when all of mainland Chinese pilots become proficient in English , and they will, as u have seen the influx of undergraduates from China in most foreign universities, how and what would B/C scale pilots holding on to any semblance of the hope to improve salaries be left with? Except to compete with a country that generates 7 million university graduates a year willing to work on internship terms in foreign countries just like D scales. There is no union culture except one of competition and best man wins. Unfortunate but in this decade, enters the dragon. I am not pro any airline or race country or religion. Just observations and points collated from industry and experience. Feel free to agree to
disagree and intent is to help all make informed decisions. cheers

boxerpilot
16th Feb 2012, 04:48
apologies for typos. Stupid iphone auto correct functions hah.