PDA

View Full Version : CPL help please

chutai
7th Sep 2001, 22:32
I wish to pursue a career as a commercial pilot in the non major airline arena, i.e. small corporate/air taxi work etc.

I am currently about to embark on my PPL but want to ensure that i do everything in the correct order and in the most cost effective way. What prospects are there for me at this level? I would also be interested to look at the FI course. I am considering this path: PPL>IMC>CPL...?

Comments appreciated.

Cheers

Bob

foghorn
7th Sep 2001, 22:52
Realistically there are not many jobs in this area in Europe.

For starters the corporate option is out of the question. Bizjets are usually flown by ex-airline pilots looking for something a bit different, and the experience requirements are usually several thousand hours turbine experience just to get a look in. After all they want highly-experienced pilots to fly their highly-paid execs around.

The air taxi market in the UK and Europe is almost non-existant. A combination of short distances and good public transport links from major airports plus over-regulation by the relevant authorities kills that IMHO.

There is a smallish market in large piston twin and small turboprop charter that is worth a look - however the pay is poor and the sector is notorious for mistreating its pilots - it's basically a stepping stone to bigger stuff.

However the lack of an air-taxi career stepping stone means that the UK is good for letting relatively inexperienced pilots get their hands on bigger aircraft, especially when compared to other parts of the world, whatever Ronchonner says.

Hope this helps,
foggy.

FMC=MC2
7th Sep 2001, 23:44
For what its worth ....
I started by going for a trial flying lesson, went solo and thought "iwant to do this as much as possible".
I then went for a class one medical to make sure there would be no nasty surprises. The doc at gatwick said I was ok, took £400 and gave me a bit of paper.
I then finnished my PPL and bought a share in a c172 to build hours flying friends round and splitting costs.
I then started a distance course with Oxford and finnished my ATPL exams 3 weeks ago.
In a week I'm off to IFTA to do a CPL/MULTI and then back here to do the IR.

As for jobs, well who knows, I'll find out when I'm there..
If you want more details of costs then msg me and I'll tell you what it's cost so far and whats left.

Good luck :p