PDA

View Full Version : Lithium Batteries being carried out of DXB as hidden DGs

Kamelchaser
5th Feb 2012, 14:29
Was speaking to a friend the other day (no names or companies stated as he was speaking in confidence). He is fairly senior in a major freight forwarding company here in Dubai.

He told me they knew of regular shipments of Lithium batteries, clearly exceeding the ampere and weight restrictions for DGs, being shipped on passenger aircraft, with the documentation being deliberately falsified to hide the fact they are dangerous goods.

The client has some office worker sign the documents declaring the goods are not dangerous (the office worker probably doesn't even know what they are signing), and packages containing significant amounts of lithium batteries are sent on their merry way, without even proper packaging.

The shipper is well aware of the restrictions put in place after the recent crash of the 747 in Dubai, but hides the contents as it would seriously affect his business.

This is probably happening all the time, in many dodgy places around the world.

I was presented with a load sheet in Africa last year...5kg of lithium batteries, when the limit was (and still is I think) 400gm. When challenged, they came back and said it was a paperwork error..the actual amount was.....400gm!. I should never have accepted it, and certainly won't in the future.

This is another disaster waiting to happen. It needs to be raised at the highest levels.

Be careful (and suspicious) out there.

InnocentBystander
5th Feb 2012, 14:54
This is another disaster waiting to happen. It needs to be raised at the highest levels

So, are you? Posting this on pprune is not going to help anything.

Also, your friend is calling ICAO with this information, right?

Togalk
5th Feb 2012, 15:06
We shouldn't be taking ANY quantity of lithium batteries! I tried to send a watch overseas at Christmas and the freight company (reputable) refused because it had a lithium battery in it.

Old King Coal
5th Feb 2012, 15:17
Well the attached pic (taken on the ramp, on my iPhone, in DXB) reveals a blatant example of the problem; in this instance it was dozens of such boxes being loaded into the rear hold of a scheduled service passenger B737-800.

To add insult to injury, the cargo manifest made NO mention of 'Dangerous Goods' being loaded onboard (and for which, in any case, the airline does not have a dangerous goods approval) but wherein this cargo was itemised as being 'Computer Parts' !

Needless to say we had them all off-loaded, and a ASR was filed!

http://pcdn.500px.net/4825800/b79704b3f0f465a16484c680daa4cee2ba797317/4.jpg

Old King Coal
5th Feb 2012, 16:46
If in doubt consult your manual:

http://www.rdc-store.com/images//icao/doc_9481.jpg

We have it on the aircraft, but does anybody know from where one can download a PDF copy for free?

ENFP
5th Feb 2012, 17:04
Kamelchaser

The problem now is that if you do not do something about it, you become part of the chain of events, and that would be a lot to live with if something drastic happened. You need to report it, even anonymously or get someone else to report it.

Kamelchaser
5th Feb 2012, 17:11
Actually InnocentBystander..I strongly disagree with you that posting this on pprune will do nothing. 279 views in a couple of hours indicates it's a hot topic.

This forum raises awareness amongst many pilots who possibly haven't thought about it much before. They may look closer at their NOTOCs in the future, and challenge any discrepancies. If that happens, then I've achieved part of my aim.

It's also not the only avenue I'm pursuing in highlighting the issue. This is just one.

No need to shoot the messenger.

woodja51
5th Feb 2012, 19:51
I would suggest that social media sites are in fact one of the only ways to get any attention from most regulators. I think facebook started the whole arab spring thing... Not a letter to someones ' congressman'.

I have dealt with this myself trying to highlight other aviation security issues which will probably end up on this site eventually , as I am getting no traction from regulators.

So I encourage anyone with an issue to throw it into the public areana as frankly the folks guiding this titanic of a planet border on inept or uncaring IMHO.. Certainly the case if it might affect a bonus or reelection plan.

lithium batteries.. Yes go look up what happens if you put a mobile phone battery on your BBQ! See youtube for some cool videos.
WJA

InnocentBystander
6th Feb 2012, 15:21
This forum raises awareness amongst many pilots who possibly haven't thought about it much before. They may look closer at their NOTOCs in the future, and challenge any discrepancies. If that happens, then I've achieved part of my aim.

So what is the proverbial "he" going to do with this "awareness"? Is he going to crawl into every pallet that's being loaded into his airplane? Of course not.

It's also not the only avenue I'm pursuing in highlighting the issue. This is just one.

And it's not very effective.

No need to shoot the messenger.

Just telling the messenger that he's knocking on the wrong door.

DG violations are being treated quite seriously, so informing the respective IATA and ICAO channels is the ONLY way to get violators prosecuted.

It works, you should try it. Venting on PPrune is not going to help.

SRS
7th Feb 2012, 05:59
Does anyone have access to the Asiana 744 accident initial report? I believe that there is almost no doubt that lithium was responsible for the suspected main deck fire. Having flown for an operator in that area I know we carried large quanties of lithium in many different forms.

ironbutt57
7th Feb 2012, 06:08
Unfortunately the system in place says the "shipper" is responsible for the declaration of the contents...the coyote in charge of the hen house if you asn me...:ugh:

MMC
13th Feb 2012, 16:59
Guys the problem is not just in cargo, there have been many instances of the Lithium batteries in Personal Electronic Devices (PED's) catching fire. Trouble is you do not fight them as you would a conventional chemical, electric or metal fire as they can easily catch fire after you have knocked down the fire. The best fire extinguisher to use on them is water not Halon, as water not just puts out the fire but also cools the battery cells.

We have produced a free short online course that we have made available to anyone. The course is aimed at Flight & Cabin Crew but is also recommended for personnel that handle baggage and cargo. You can view the course at www.aviatas.com (http://www.aviatas.com) and just follow the links.

dv8
14th Feb 2012, 11:26
I have App Store - UN Number (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/un-number/id307373793?mt=8)
on my iphone. Type in the UN number and you have all the information you need

clevlandHD
14th Feb 2012, 15:21
Many ion batteries are not considered as DG if they meet Special Provison A45, ie not mentionned on the NOTOC. If you ask the loadmaster he will be clueless, only the manufacturer knows about that... and most will use that SP. SP99 also allows for more than 35kg.

SU-GCM
5th Mar 2012, 14:35
Lithium Battery Regulatory Change

Dear Recipient,

The ICAO Dangerous Goods Panel (DGP) met in Montreal, CANADA to discuss the changes to the ICAO Technical Instructions in October 2011. A second meeting was scheduled, in part, because the DGP, during its meeting in October 2011, felt that the subject of lithium batteries could not be addressed in a piecemeal fashion and believed the best way to achieve consensus was to hold a working group to consider all aspects of lithium batteries. Specifically the papers were presented to consider how to address how details of “bulk” shipments of lithium batteries prepared under Section II of Packing Instructions 965 and 968 could appear on the written information to the pilot-in-command.

This is a hugely important topic and the changes are substantial, for that reason we have prepared this special communication.

A summary of some of the major changes is found below:

New Section II lithium ion (PI 965 II) and lithium metal (PI 968 II) cell and batteries quantity limits per package.
PI 965 – Section II Package Limits Table

COMBINATION PACKAGING

Contents

Lithium ion cells and/or batteries with a Watt-hour rating not more than 2.7 Wh

Lithium ion cells with a Watt-hour rating more than 2.7 Wh, but not more than 20 Wh

Lithium ion batteries with a Watt-hour rating more than 2.7 Wh, but not more than 100 Wh

Maximum number of cells / batteries per package

No limit

8 cells

2 batteries

Maximum net quantity (mass) per package

2.5 kg

n/a

n/a

PI 968 – Section II Package Limits Table

COMBINATION PACKAGING

Contents

Lithium metal cells and/or batteries with a lithium content not more than 0.3 g

Lithium metal cells with a lithium content more than 0.3 g but not more than 1 g

Lithium metal batteries with a lithium content more than 0.3 g but not more than 2 g

Maximum number of cells / batteries per package

No limit

8 cells

2 batteries

Maximum net quantity (mass) per package

2.5 kg

n/a

n/a

Note: A package may contain either cells/batteries of not more than 2.7 Wh or 0.3 g or lithium ion cells not exceeding 20 Wh / lithium metal cells not exceeding 1 g, or lithium ion batteries not exceeding 100 Wh / lithium metal batteries not exceeding 2 g.

New Section “IB” for lithium ion (PI 965 IB) and metal (PI 968 IB) batteries that exceed the limits referred to above to be shipped as Class 9 but without the need to be packed in UN specification packagings.

• Dangerous goods training for personnel involved in the transport of these Section IB batteries.
• Consignment does not require a Shipper’s Declaration provided that alternative written
documentation or electronic information describing the contents.
• Package requires a Class 9 hazard label AND the lithium battery handling label to distinguish it
from other lithium battery packages.
• A dangerous goods acceptance check required
• A summary NOTOC, similar to that permitted for Dry Ice

Alignment of the net quantity limits for lithium batteries packed with and contained in equipment.

The full report can be found on ICAO’s website

These changes will be incorporated into the 54th edition of the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations effective 1 January 2013.

At first glance readers of the new text may find the solution rather complex, the DGP has tried to balance the needs of the various stakeholders; shippers, operators, and regulators, without imposing undue requirements on any single party. The lithium battery supply chain will need to be on the same page for these changes to work effectively and that will mean a lot of outreach and oversight by the parties involved.

During the DGP meeting it was also identified that these changes of themselves will not necessarily reduce incidents involving lithium batteries. To really have an impact on the safety in transport of lithium batteries there should be more outreach by regulatory authorities and industry to manufacturers and shippers of lithium batteries and lithium battery powered equipment to ensure that all parties are aware of the regulations applicable to the testing and transport of lithium batteries. Associated with outreach, regulatory authorities should also undertake more surveillance of shippers and, where necessary, appropriate enforcement action.

In the coming months IATA will update the Guidance Document on the Transport of Lithium Batteries and the Guidelines for Shipping Lithium Batteries by Air booklet.

IATA will hold the second lithium battery workshop, which will take place in North America in the first week in November 2012. Stay tuned to our events page for more information including dates and program agenda.

NOTE: you may have received this email because you contacted IATA enquiring about lithium batteries and in an effort to communicate these important changes as widely as possible. In that case, you have not been subscribed to any mailing list. If you receive this message in duplicate we apologize for the inconvenience.

Centre of Expertise Guidance: Dangerous Goods (http://www.iata.org/dangerousgoods)

Reply to email address: [email protected]