PDA

View Full Version : Aeropostale Route Map : 1930s

KIFIS
31st Mar 2001, 15:32
On page 145 of Icare Revue De L’aviation Francaise Bulletin No 119 ( published 1987) there is an Aeropostale route map for the Western Sahara. This map shows the route flown between Cape Juby (near Carnary Isles) and Dakar (Senegal) in the 1930s and is historically a most interesting map because it shows many features and locations that are named after the famous men of Aeropostale. These include : Beach Ville and Rozes, Fort Dauret, Bay of Saint Exupery, Cape Mermoz, Lake Gourp Brable, Cape Lecrivain, Port Etienne, Cape Vanier, Archipeligo Aeropostale and Lake Guillaumet. Can anyone tell me if these place names still exist ? Does a good French atlas show them ? Perhaps the WAC 1:1,000,000 aeronautical chart for the Western Sahara remembers these airmen ?

KIFIS

P.S. There are two “ Epaves “ ( I think this is the French word for wreck.). One is called Epave La Salle and the other Epave Du Goliath Bossouthrot. Both are in the desert close to the coast and positioned each side of 20o North.

PorcoRosso
1st Apr 2001, 05:50
Me again
I will contact a friend who flew a commemorative flight along the historical route you mentionned, to check if those names are still in use.
She will probably know if the "epaves" (you got it right) you mentionned are still over there
Contact me on my e-mail, KIFIS, I am sure I can give you some valuable contacts

------------------
Flying is not dangerous, crashing is