PDA

View Full Version : An odd greeting. Smacks of mischief.

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2012, 00:54
I get an e-mail on my Yahoo, it says Hi. It's from my g-mail. It arrived while I was on the school run in Texas.

Clock times checked. Wife, checked. No explanation. However, I have a phone that was perfect with the UK chip in it, but when back in Texas, it's been getting up to its old tricks. Bizarre calling of unwanted menus, and too many oddities to recount - sometimes it looks like a daemon has taken control. Suffice it to say I'm on my 4th phone from T-Mobile.

The question is. On a sizable shared deal with the US T-mobile, could another user maliciously get into my phone and cause chaos - including using the g-mail on that phone?

( I'm too old and dim to use it myself, far too fiddly. )

Just at a loss.

Milo Minderbinder
4th Feb 2012, 01:07
yes it could well be hacked
I'm no expert on phones, but hijacking malware exists for all flavours of smartphones: Windows, Android, Apple
You don't say what kind of phone or operating system you have, but the basic principle is reset it to factory defaults, wipe/format any memory cards and start again from scratch - and make sure you use security software
Change the password on the e-mail account, and also change the password / security recovery questions (the last bit is important - if someone has hacked the password, they may have access to the recovery questions and may be able to hack the account again after you claim it back. You MUST change that at the same time as the password)

Loose rivets
4th Feb 2012, 03:49
Thanks for that. It's a Motorola Cliq XT on Android. I have made an attempt to use the goo-oil e-mail on it, but never really got anywhere.

I'll talk to T-Mobile tomorrow, and get all the toys cut off at headquarters. It's what I did in the UK, though that was British T-Mobile, a separate company. I'll see what they say.

BOAC
4th Feb 2012, 07:18
Not really enough info, LR. Have you looked at the header of the email to see where server it came from? It is more than possible that a random 'from' generator chose your gmail address. Very common. Was there anything particularly personal in it or was it offering you a Rolex?

green granite
4th Feb 2012, 07:57
I knew there was a good reason for sticking to a basic mobile phone with perhaps the ability to take the odd picture. :E

Milo Minderbinder
4th Feb 2012, 08:17
GG
never a truer word spoken
Android phones especially are vulnerable
However there are plenty of antimalware applications out there, many free - but how good they are is a big question
At the moment I use AVG's AVG - Antivirus for Android (http://www.avg.com/us-en/antivirus-for-android) but I'm thinking of switching to Avast avast! Free Mobile Security: the best Android protection you can?t buy (http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-free-mobile-security-the-best-android-protection-you-cant-buy)

BEagle
4th Feb 2012, 08:19
Nokia 6310i for calls and text
Canon PowerShot for photos
Dell Vostro for e-mail/web
Garmin nüvi for GPS

No iAnything, Fruitphone or Paranoid - still don't see the need.

M.Mouse
4th Feb 2012, 09:03
I have been looking for a new camera but can't find one with a built in 'phone.

OFSO
4th Feb 2012, 15:14
the ability to take the odd picture

Any chance of posting some of these on JB, GG ?

green granite
4th Feb 2012, 15:37
You trying to get me banned OFSO ;)