PDA

View Full Version : Ultrabooks

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Feb 2012, 13:23
Anyone got one?

I'm looking at an Asus UX31 which my friend at Intel says is impressive. I wondered if anyone else has one already or anything similar? (no I don't need to know about the Macbook Air, as two of my colleagues have them already)

mixture
3rd Feb 2012, 13:50
And why would you even look beyond the MacBook Air Mr Bracknell ? :cool:

I'd say a Toshiba of some description rather than Asus.

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Feb 2012, 13:59
And why would you even look beyond the MacBook Air Mr Bracknell ? :cool:

Because for a start i'd be running Windows 7/8 natively on it*, and secondly it looks nicer than the Air and has a 13" screen with higher res :)

(*yes yes I know you can, but I want driver support from the manuf)

terrain safe
3rd Feb 2012, 19:33
Buy the new issues of PC Pro or Computer shopper when they come out in a week or so. They have reviews in there of some Ultrabooks.

Oh and the ASUS won.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Feb 2012, 20:14
For what it's worth I have a 13" screen Toshiba Portage Ultrabook / (it was called an ultra portable when I bought it), running Windows 7.

After about a year, I'm still very happy with it - and still getting 5-6 hours out of a battery charge if I'm careful.

G

MG23
5th Feb 2012, 01:11

Last I looked, Asus and Toshiba were rated about the same for reliability. Our Asus netbook is built like a tank compared to my Toshiba laptop.

mixture
5th Feb 2012, 08:20
Our Asus netbook is built like a tank compared to my Toshiba laptop.

"Built like a tank" = additional weight. Why not just go the whole way and buy a Panasonic Toughbook whilst your at it !

In the past, I have given Toshiba Portege units to IT engineers. So as you might expect, the units get thrown around a bit and chucked into bog standard backpacks alongside gym kit and the kitchen sink at the end of the day ... never had one fail.

Also know a number of people in the Financial sector using Toshiba Portege units....as you might expect, they've got a short fuse when it comes to IT, and yet have never heard one complaint.