PDA

View Full Version : New Private Pilot

tgarrelts
3rd Feb 2012, 02:54
Just become a new private pilot. Have purchased a 2006 Enstrom 280fx. Instructor had said that it was one of the safest personal helicopters on the market. Plan on using it for business and personal transportation. After 40 hours of PIC time I still get extremely nervous about flying the helicopter. Just was wondering when all of the jitters might go away? So it wold be more enjoyable.

Nigel Osborn
3rd Feb 2012, 04:27
Maybe 500 hours, if you're lucky:ok:

Garfs
3rd Feb 2012, 04:35
Depends on how frequently u fly Id say.

FLY 7
3rd Feb 2012, 08:01
I think 'ownership' helps, and the Enstrom is a really good, safe choice.

Because it's your helicopter, it's there whenever you want it, so you should be able to fly it frequently, you'll get to know it intimately, and the confidence will grow. Probably still worth flying with your instructor regularly to try new things and brush up on your skills.

Peter-RB
3rd Feb 2012, 08:18
Congrats on owning your own Heli, I would suggest that if you fly twice of more per week, staying well inside your own ability range, plus getting to know your Heli and its workings inside out, by doing a longer than normal pre-flight then when finished do a longer than normal post flight, spend time with the guys who will be servicing the machine and really get to know what is what so that eventually you will have total confidence in the thing that is keeping you in the air, and by combining that sort of built up knowledge along with more and more eyes and backside time with air underneath you ,...the jitters as you say will soon disappear because you will feel more confident in the Heli but also your own ability to understand what is happening and what is the right sort of noise and what sounds different, plus all the vibrations and rattles that happen in a normal flight in good wx and bad wx..

Just get used to it all, the more you fly the better it will be.

until you are really good, dont fly into tight places, never try to show off to any pax, the words "Watch this" will kill everyone on board, so just
have fun, fly safe, land Safer always.

Peter R-B
Lancashire :ok:

misterbonkers
3rd Feb 2012, 08:19
Practise practise practise - and not just the long hops - try keep up to speed on your airfield work too - takeoffs, landings. Hover manoeuvres. Try do a few of these before you set off on a trip instead of just pulling the lever and going.

Also, set some weather limits for yourself initially and stick to them! As your get more experience and comfortable with things you can then extend them further as required/appropriate.

Are you based in the North East?

Safe flying! MB

Thomas coupling
3rd Feb 2012, 09:22
tgarrelts: I know how you feel. I have trained many pilots and even the brave get nervous early on.
I now find myself in that situation as I take up a new and some might say dangerous hobby. The way I approached it when I was teaching and the way I am going to approach it is as follows:

Anyone can fly a helicopter, believe me, it is not difficult. But what sorts the men out from the boys is how they manage the malfunctions.

In your case, I suspect you are actually nrevous about being detached from terra firma and not knowing the consequences of what if something seriously goes wrong - you can't simply pull over into the lay by and hop out!

Solution: Seek help!!!

By this I mean find someone who is very experienced with helo's and get them to talk you through the worse case scenario's.. The worst (in your case) is an engine failing. [There are much worse scenario's but they are easy to deal with as you then become a passenger on a one way trip].

Better still, get an expert to show you engine failures/autos until you can do them blindfolded. Get them to gently explore your aircraft and show you its limitations. Overall, get a feel for your a/c until you know it inside out.
Then you will find your nerves dissipating.

Time is the answer, there are no short cuts. Take it slowly and don't cut corners in aviation - or you will regret it.

But find someone who you trust to take you around the flight envelope of that particular aircraft and keep throwing it at the ground until happy :).

Aviation will then take on a completely different colour and dimension.

ENJOY...you lucky person.

A.Agincourt
3rd Feb 2012, 09:35
The jitters are your best companion, its what will keep you questioning yourself and the machine and stop you from becoming complacent and over confident. It's when the jitters disappear that I would start getting worried. All the advice above is valid and you will never stop learning - I hope.

Best Wishes

Colibri49
3rd Feb 2012, 11:59
I agree with every word of advice given above. The "jitters" should never entirely leave you, for if they do you should give up flying. I fly helicopters for my livelihood and light aeroplanes for my recreation and after more than 40 years since I started, I still have slight "butterflies in the stomach".

This feeling is stronger when driving to the airfield or workplace, but largely disappears once I'm airborne. It's good advice to know the workings of your aircraft well, to do a thorough pre-flight, to be mentally well-rehearsed for the possibility of engine failure and other failures, to fly very defensively as outlined by someone above.

Read about other people's flying experiences, talk to experienced pilots and always fly as though you have your nearest and dearest as passengers. Fly regularly so as to avoid long periods during which apprehension might build up.

Remember that you are in a helicopter which gives you more scope to land in a hurry than is possible in a light aeroplane, so if you practice full autos periodically with an instructor your confidence should grow.

truthinbeer
3rd Feb 2012, 12:52
Congratulations on your first heli. Get a 'mentor', someone who will spend the time to talk to you about common mistakes pilots make and will fly with you sometimes and pass comment.

Good luck.

thing
3rd Feb 2012, 12:54
I fly helicopters for my livelihood and light aeroplanes for my recreation and after more than 40 years since I started, I still have slight "butterflies in the stomach".

Nice to hear that. I'm a fixed wing intruder (bored Friday afternoon) but I wondered if that slight, not nervousness but heightened awareness would go away. If you still have it as a pro after 40 years then I don't feel so bad about getting that 'Phoo, are we ready to go, yep, let's do it then' feeling I still get before I open the throttle.

Hilico
3rd Feb 2012, 16:44
What about another version of a mentor - someone who knows less than you do but is keen on helicopters? If it was me - dammit, I live in the south east and you're up the north east - then I'd be asking you loads of questions. Finding that you can answer them, more often than you think, will build your confidence too.

Hey, if you're ever near Great Oakley airfield, I can be that bright, dumb passenger!

tgarrelts
3rd Feb 2012, 17:02
Thanks for all the good advice. I do have a great instructor an S76 pilot who regularly flys down to just do emergency procedures with me. Autos are the main thing but tail rotor issues get worked on occasionally also. Thanks again

g0lfer
3rd Feb 2012, 20:43
Assuming you are in the North East of England, where do you keep your Heli?