PDA

View Full Version : Converting a JAA licence to an Australian one.

nicciq
2nd Feb 2012, 16:16
I have an integrated CPL (A) and at the moment I'm taking my ME/IR-ratings, frozen ATPL-theory and MCC, and will be finished by the end of May.

Now to the questions, does anyone know what it takes and how long it takes to convert it to an Australian one? What the requirements are and the costs?

Do I need and Australian work permit to convert my licence (can't find pilot on the skilled worker's list)? And what about finding a job?

I've read about a few people wanting to convert their licences but that was as long as 9 years ago and I think everything looked a bit different back then. I've also read everything there is to know on CASA's website, so now I would want to know if anyone has done it and if it was worth it and if there's anything I need to think about before I actually do it. I will only have close to 200 hours when I finish.

I'm grateful for any kind of help.

doubledub
6th Feb 2012, 11:43
You can convert your licence niccig, no problems there. Lots of international students train in Australia. Query why you'd want to waste your money and time given you're extremely unlikely to find a job here - lots of low time qualified locals looking to score the same gig.

There's a guy from Thailand asking something similar in the aus GA section - you may want to read the posts there also.

If you want a fun (non flying) working holiday, Australia offers many experiences that will not disappoint. I doubt that it will satisfy your hour building desires however.

If your primary reason is to further an aviation career and you've got cash set aside to travel here, convert, live while trying to find a job etc, doing some more single engine time at home may be a more constructive use of your krone.

redsnail
7th Feb 2012, 10:38
G'day nicciq,
A couple of things.
Do you want to emigrate to Australia to live and work permanently?
If the answer is yes, then you'll need to sort out the visa yourself.
Most jobs in Australia will require permanent residency or citizenship.
This will be your toughest hurdle.

Licences can only be converted "like for like". So unless you hold an ATPL, you'll be only be converting your CPL. (Think about the implications for your exam validity should you want to return to Europe).

As you've checked out the CASA site, you'll know what needs doing. From memory, you're looking at the CPL bridging exam, Air Law and the IR exam. While you're at it, also the ATPL exams too. Medical etc.
Flying wise, a Command Instrument Rating on a twin ideally.

In Australia, life's a bit different to Europe in that your first job is not likely to be on a turboprop, let alone a jet. Expect a single engine piston like a C206 or C207. Maybe a Saratoga. You'll be searching for those jobs in Jabaru, Kununurra, Broome, Halls Creek, Darwin (maybe) and so on. Not Sydney, Cairns or Perth.
Competition is reasonably tough but not as bad as it used to be.

Is it worth it? Well, if you want to fly around some of the most incredible scenery you'll ever see, have fun and really learn about flying, then yes. If you think it'll be a "piece of cake" and a quick run into the world of jet flying, you'll be sorely disappointed.

Good luck. :ok:

nicciq
16th Feb 2012, 15:27
doubledub:

Thank you!
You're right, finding a job is probably easier in Europe. I looked for the Thai but couldn't find his thread so will keep looking.

I've done the working holiday already and I want to get a "real" job, and settle down in a city, not just travel.

I've been looking into becoming a flight instructor too. Anyone out there with FI experience from Australia? I could get a job with Scandinavian Aviation Academy in San Diego (they have both a JAA and an FAA side) but I couldn't think of a better place to live than Australia, which is why I might do it over there instead.

The only thing I know I want to do (except for flying) is move to Australia, so my choose of career is probably not the easiest one if I want an easy migration free of problems. Again, thanks for your help!

nicciq
16th Feb 2012, 16:00
redsnail:

Thank you! I've read a lot of your posts and I hoped you would have some advice.

Yes, I want to move there permanently. As for the visa, I think I will qualify for a de facto visa.

If I convert my CPL ME/IR, with frozen ATPL-theory, do I get all of that? Or do I have to do the theory again? Or do I get an ATPL as soon as I get enough hours?

Thanks for your input. More than half of the people at this course will be FO's at Ryanair in less than a year. I don't feel like going the same way, not yet. And I've also heard they don't take in that many girls either...
I'm only 21 and I feel that there are other things out there than just flying jet. At least for now.

Have been thinking about Flight Instructor too. Don't know about the market for that, don't think it's as big as in the States but I would want to give it a go. As long as I can combine my two dreams, living in Australia and flying, I'll be more than happy.

Thank you for your advice!

redsnail
16th Feb 2012, 16:16
I'm afraid you'll have to do the ATPL theory again in Australia. The good thing is that you don't need it until you want to fly multi crew aircraft. (Technically, you don't need it until you want to be a captain of a +5700kg aircraft)

I don't know the market in Australia for flight instructing. Have a look in the Dununda forum. Many folks just head "up north" for the first job.

nicciq
16th Feb 2012, 16:26
Thank you again, I will certainly not give up!