PDA

View Full Version : Help with Expatshield

Shack37
2nd Feb 2012, 15:09
I have downloaded (apparently successfully) Expatshield in order to access iplayer etc. When I try to launch it I see the following message:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
Having looked in the Default Programs control panel and not seen any obvious way to solve the problem, probably through my own ignorance, I decided to consult the expertise available here.
All help gratefully accepted.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Feb 2012, 15:29
I just tried downloading it. Its a standard exe setup file, so should just run
Either you have the wrong file, or a corrupted file, or there is something wrong in your registry settings which prevent exe files from opening
try downloading again from Expat Shield (http://expatshield.com/)

If that still wont work, post back of which version of windows you're running and I'll give you a link for a fix for the exe problem

Shack37
2nd Feb 2012, 15:34
MM

I have downloaded expatshield 3 or 4 times now, always with the same (lack of) result. It refuses to launch from either the desktop shortcut or the toolbar. I am running Windows 7.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Feb 2012, 15:45
Theres nothing around that program which mentionds 64-bit support. I wonder if that the problem??

Anyway, lets try eliminating problems with exe files
Download this zip file and extract it http://www.winhelponline.com/fileasso/exe_fix_w7.zip
That will give you a file called exe_fix_w7.reg

Click on that once with the RIGHT mouse button, and select "merge"
You'll get a message about being successful, and if the problem is due to exe opening then you should be OK

But before you try it, just check the download of the expatshield file
Did you get it from the link I gave in my last post or somewhere else? There may be a hacked version out there on the file repository sites

Shack37
2nd Feb 2012, 16:30
I downloaded from expatshield.com which became anchorfree. When I checked your link it was the same site. I'll give exe_fix_w7 a try and get back to you.

OK, done that and got a successfully merged message but still no launch and same message received.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Feb 2012, 16:49
what antivirus / security software do you have?

and are you sure you are logged in as an administrator?

Shack37
2nd Feb 2012, 17:09
Avast. Yes as administrator. I have now uninstalled expatshield and associated toolbar. I could now try downloading from your link but it's definitely the same site I downloaded from before.
Thanks for your patience.

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Feb 2012, 18:23
Avast doesn't normally cause problems, so I'd discount that
Have you tried the option of right-clicking the setup file and choosing "run as administrator"?

Shack37
2nd Feb 2012, 18:55
Yep, right click and chose "run as administrator". Same message when I try to launch. It's definitely installed but doesn't want to run. Think I'll give it a rest and try again tomorrow with any other ideas you may be kind enough to pass on.
Many thanks for your help so far.