PDA

View Full Version : JAA PPL Class 2 Medical

GolfMikePapa
2nd Feb 2012, 14:33
Hi all,

Recently started to learn to fly. Only got 6 hours under my belt but my instructor is starting to say I really should get my medical and 2 exams out the way so I can start solo circuits fairly soon.

My question is regarding the medical. Most of it should be fine and I'm not too concerned about - the thing I am concerned about is my weight. According to BMI charts which you find on nearly every health website these days I am considered "obese" with a bmi of about 32.5 (I am not visually obese - just fairly heavy!). A couple of years ago I lost weight to a point where my BMI was only just within the healthy weight range and I looked like a scarecrow so not really keen on going that far really. I am losing weight but its not going as quickly as I had hoped.

Can anyone let me know how much they take into considering weight/height/BMI? My instructor looked me up and down and said 'we've had bigger lads than you pass a medical you'll be fine' but I'm slightly apprehensive!

Any help would be awesome. :E

Fostex
2nd Feb 2012, 16:46
From JAR-FCL 3

Same rule for class I and II

"Applicants with a Body Mass Index > 35 may be assessed as fit only if the excess weight is not likely to interfere with the safe exercise of the applicable licence(s) and a satisfactory cardiovascular risk review has been undertaken"

So if you are 'well built' but otherwise fit and healthy you should not have an issue.

GolfMikePapa
7th Feb 2012, 23:45
Thanks for the information Fostex. Put my mind at ease a little!