PDA

View Full Version : Rwandair? Any info

Thrush
1st Feb 2012, 15:50
Anyone got a contact for Rwandair? How do they recruit DECs on the -800 and who to deal with.
Also, any info on the Ts n Cs would be appreciated.

captplaystation
1st Feb 2012, 17:15
DEC's, who fly both the 500's & 800's, are taken on a contract basis through Rishworth Aviation. Capts salary 6700€ + 1000 € for accomodation.
Roster 6wks On 2 off, provide your own flts through ID interline tickets with Brussels Airlines if you want to commute to Europe.
Assessment in BRU, at your expense, they USED to provide ticket to go to Kigali if successful, but apparently last bunch of "lucky " candidates from Serbia paid their own (at a cost of ?000€ ) so worth holding out for a Freebie there, as that is a bit of a p1sstake.
Had a colleague who went, and didn't stay long. He liked the place & the people, but. . . . . the Chief Pilot is Greek & is surrounded by a Greek Mafia. Flights are allocated/re-allocated depending on the social calendar of the Greek Mafia. Aircraft make ETOPS flts even though no ETOPS approval. QRH's on the 500's are several years out of date, and written in Polish :eek: as the aircraft came several years before from LOT. WX radar U/S seems to be OK (in Africa ! ) duty hours are expected to be disregarded if Chief Pilot is sobering up & you are called to do his flt. If you are not a Line Trainer & you have to show up to do the Boss's flight, consider yourself henceforth promoted to Line Training Capt.

It all sounded a load of fun :rolleyes: & I began to understand why his tenure there was (by choice) a short one.

Sometimes we have gotta do, what we have gotta do.

If you do, I wish you the Best of British.

Only good news is that he was paid in full when he left (& it was Rishworth! ) & the "Local management" thanked him for his feedback, but doubt if they did the next logical step & disbanded the Greek Mafia & appointed someone who might do something serious to improve their safety & professional standards.

Thrush
1st Feb 2012, 21:15
Thanks for the excellent feedback!

I'll have to think long and hard about this one..... Have thought, and moved on!

Thanks again for the heads up!

9XR-SC
1st Feb 2012, 23:08
Only good news is that he was paid in full when he left (& it was Rishworth! ) & the "Local management" thanked him for his feedback, but doubt if they did the next logical step & disbanded the Greek Mafia & appointed someone who might do something serious to improve their safety & professional standards.

They recently elected a new board, including the former Ethiopian Airlines's CEO Girma Wake. Since 3 years, they are putting the order in the house:p. They are still a young airline. From mid 2012, Turkish Airlines will help them in management, training and maintenance sectors.

But i agree with you everything it's not perfect,:confused: (this is Africa:ugh:) but they are trying to improve the airline.

captplaystation
2nd Feb 2012, 08:19
Turkish :ooh: allied to the Greeks :hmm: Oh yes, looking forward to a definite improvement there :rolleyes:

atpcliff
2nd Feb 2012, 17:41
I think they started with a US guy to start the 737 program. Sounds like a lot of other programs in Africa...I knew one where the chief pilot hadn't been to the sim in over 5 years.

four engine jock
3rd Feb 2012, 08:42
To all on PPrune.
Go and sign up to Register at Africa Aviation / Afrika Lugvaart (http://www.flyafrica.info/forums/register.php)
Much better for us African Aviators.

L-13
15th Feb 2012, 02:35
Hi everybody,
Just to get more info, what are the minimum requirements to join? Although a small airline and hopefully progressing and growing in the near future, is it considering to hire for long/short term? Is any experience on jet ok, or specifically on B-737 5/800? JAA/FAA/ICAO.?
Even in the end if you're no longer needed, any chances to stay or not?
If anybody knows anything regarding this, would be grateful!
Cheers

latetonite
15th Feb 2012, 09:08
Basicly Rwandair needs dedicated and experienced pilots. Hour builders and "pay to fly" types please shy away. And as with any airline, it is hard to look and give job security for the next 20 years..Talk to Rishworth and see if you fit. If successful you can have a chat with the Chief Pilot. And bear in mind Africa is not for everyone.

L-13
15th Feb 2012, 23:25
Thx for your reply Latetonite,
You're right about job security,it's unpredictable..
I'll check it out with Rishworth, see what they say
Thanks anyway!

daf
18th Feb 2012, 20:45
I have an assessment coming up with this airline soon.

Anyone who knows how I can prepare myself best?

Concentrate on the FCOM or the ATPL theory or give both 50%….
I don't have enough time to read the full ATPL theory again (would take 5-6 months) :ugh:

Axum
28th Feb 2012, 12:24
How was the assessment?

pmat
2nd Mar 2012, 11:37
Anyone know what recently happened in Lagos? Rwandair did an emergency descent. Crew heard communicating using oxygen masks.

pilot415
7th Mar 2012, 17:11
Been here 3 months now:

stay away from Rwandair, chief pilot Charalampos (greek) and his well known surrounding greek maffia. They are used to take ALL the flight to Dubai (2 and 3 overnights weekly) and if you complain they'll fire you.

What do they ask: maximum flexibility, no comments and basically shut up, no comments, keep your personal phone ON even during the night and after your 10 hrs duty (they might need you again and is better to say "YES, capt. Charalampos I'll do whatever you ask me").

What do they offer: late salary, normally around the 15th of the next month in agreement with the maffioso Torkel WAAK Rishworth, very bad roster with split duty, a lot of night flights, very bad organization (they are greeks, what do you expect?) and no chance to have an explanatory chat with the chief pilot. Is funny when they say the serbians are maffioso.

Many pilots left already and I'll be the next one.

latetonite
9th Mar 2012, 23:10
Pilot 415, you are building in a few lies to disguise yourself. People who are there 3 months probably do not like that. Besides, in all your other posts under your name, you seem to be so negative about every company you came in contact with, that maybe a career change would make you happier.

ScottyDawg
21st Mar 2012, 19:05
Hello Everyone,

I've been reviewing this thread - and feel it is time to put a few misconceptions (and a few downright lies)... to bed..!

Firstly I am a B737 Captain here in Rwandair and I am the one of several Western European Captains currently on the payroll - So for what it is worth here are my comments..

Captplaystation - Some of your observations are correct (salary, contract agency, commuting roster).. and then you go and spoil your integrity by spouting off a lot of rubbish.
It may be very smart of you to hide behind "One of your colleagues comments/observations" - But at the end of the day you become the individual responsible for posting virtiol and diatribe that is both incorrect and offensive.:ooh:

Please be aware of the following Captplaystation:
- Commuting flights are paid by the airline directly and not through interline basis..Period!
- On my roster, I do not find myself disadvantaged in any way by my Greek management and/or colleagues.
- I have NEVER seen or heard of the Chief Pilot of this airline in any way under the influence of alcohol.
- I have never had to alter my schedule to conform to the "Social Calendar Of The Greek Mafia"
- The B737-500 aircraft contain absolutely no Polish language and the QRH's are standard Boeing...In ENGLISH..
- Rwandair does not fly any ETOPS routes at present- therefore that comment is total rubbish.

You might think it is clever to spout off this cr@p - but at the end of the day all you do is make yourself look foolish.
Do you think for one second that the local senior management of this national airline does not have it's foreign staff under the microscope and would tolerate the behaviour from the Flight Operations Management that you are subscribing to..??
If indeed you do subscribe to that belief, I wonder what you are smoking..:bored:

pilot415

The fact that you choose to utilise an anonymous forum to state individual names and status within a national airline in an offensive and degratory manner is frankly outrageous.
I do hope that you are identified.. and this aspect of your behaviour becomes known within the industry.:sad:

OK - here is the bottom line - and I state it only as I see and experience it.

Firstly - I am continually amazed by the "so-called professionals" in this industry that stoop to nasty, stereotyped and (in some cases) downright racist comments... and think that is clever to do so.

I consider myself fortunate that I have a European in charge of Flight Operations here - That provides an effective "buffer" between myself and local senior management - That prevents me always having to be diplomatic (when I'm tired or frustrated)- and gives me a reserve of patience that might otherwise be difficult to preserve.

It must be appreciated that in any expatriate environment... frustration with local culture and due processes can cause friction - The European management here go someway to alleviating that stress and are very approachable in "smoothing out" potential pitfalls in that regard.

Finally - It is my experience that if you behave in a professional, respectful and approachable manner - you will benefit personally in your association with the Chief Pilot and his staff.
I find this statement of "Greek Mafia" and other such nonsense as exteremly offensive and it is not in keeping with the perception of professional attitude and behaviour that certain individuals posting their comments here, seem to prescribe to.
On a personal level - I have found all of my European colleagues here very helpful and indeed the local Rwandan staff are also a pleasure to work with.

You will note that I choose to use the definition "European"... as opposed to "Greek Mafia" - But then again, perhaps I'm a bit more mature and responsible than some of the other posters on this thread.

Regards
ScottyD:O

captplaystation
22nd Mar 2012, 17:13
Told it, as it was told to me, by someone who was there. Could be the "rumour" in rumours & news, but it was transmitted to me as a factual account.

If it is all BS , I am very happy for you, I considered the info given to me, & decided against it.

In my opinion it is only fair to present both sides of the story, yours appears to paint the rosy side, mine is a bit blacker, but was posted in good faith.

Well, anyone who chooses to go, will find out for themselves 1st hand anyhow wherein lies the truth :hmm:

exeng
23rd Mar 2012, 00:57
Carefully consider Rwandair.

Two new CRJ's coming and two 737-500s back - i.e. gone. On the Boeing Rwandair are left with two 737-800's. How many crews on the Boeing are they going to need.

Regards
Exeng

captplaystation
23rd Mar 2012, 07:55
Strange, one month ago Rishworth told me they needed more Boeing crews (& they interviewed at that stage) because they were getting rid of the CRJ's. . . .

What a lovely game !

Travelman Africa
23rd Mar 2012, 08:29
And B787s to come next year

9XR-SC
24th Mar 2012, 17:42
About the CRJ-900ERs, they will arrive in October 2012 : RwandAir orders two CRJ-900NGs (Next Generation) with two in options - (http://rwandan-flyer.blog4ever.com/blog/lire-article-417104-8957251-rwandair_orders_two_crj_900ngs__next_generation__w.html)

About 735s, RwandAir plans to phase out either in 2013 or 2014.

For the 787 it will arrive (if everything goes well) in 2014-2015.

Best Regards:)

PGP737
12th Apr 2012, 17:12
ScottyDawg- The B737-500 aircraft contain absolutely no Polish language and the QRH's are standard Boeing...In ENGLISH..

9XR-WD Boeing 737-55D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737-500) 12/80 (92) In Fleet ex-LOT Polish Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOT_Polish_Airlines)
9XR-WE Boeing 737-55D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_737-500) 12/80 (92) In Fleet ex-LOT Polish Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LOT_Polish_Airlines)

vagabond 47
17th Apr 2012, 04:52
Hi Guys, anybody out there got a contact for the C.P or DFO for Rwandair. At Kigali airport.......thanks in advance

4runner
28th Apr 2012, 01:43
PGP, just because an aircraft used to fly in Poland doesn't mean that all placards and manuals are written in Polish. Additionally, LOT Poland flies throughout Europe where the required aviation language is English. I imagine that all LOT Polish pilots are required by ICAO to have at least a level 4 command of English. In the grand scheme of globalization, goods and services are moved worldwide. Aircraft are no exception. I have flown aircraft that were operated by German, American, Spanish, Mexican, Canadian and Danish airlines previously and all had pertinent information written in English. If you ask your instructor nicely, he will probably show you the original Pilot's Operating Handbook for the Cessna or Cirrus that you are currently flying is written in English. Maybe one day, you can see for yourself that most transport category aircraft have been shuffled from operator to operator, often times with colorful yet completely safe histories. In the meantime, please refrain from attempting to elevate your career and opinion of yourself by slandering random airlines on a public forum.
The same goes for you CaptPlayStation. You "heard" from a colleague unconfirmed BS so you spout it on a public forum, thus attacking a fellow pilot that you claim to have never met? I have not flown the 737-500's in question, nor have I flown with the "Greek Mafia". I do have knowledge the aircraft and crew in question and what was said by your "friend" is complete rubbish. The aircraft are leased from GE Capital and were in good mechanical condition with all manuals in English. The Greek Mafia and CP I know from being "around the block" a few times. Firstly, the guy is a total health nut that runs marathons and doesn't really drink that I've ever seen or heard of. Additionally, I confirmed from some former colleagues that no line training has occurred at RwandAir on the 737 in the last 2 years with the exception of one Captain upgrade who only flew with the 2 or 3 check airmen at the company. There have been a few P2F guys with 700 hours that have come to Africa, both at RwandAir and other operators and didn't last too long. When your first job is as a customer, a good airline pilot it does not make. Perhaps your "friend" found that he had to actually work and be flexible, and rather than Man up and do his job, he whined and complained until he was asked to leave. This HAS happened at RwandAir according to a close colleague and I think it's probably one of your "friends". Real pilots don't try and burn their colleagues. CRM is when two people that completely hate one another can safely fly together. Sounds like some people need a refresher course.

B737africa
28th Apr 2012, 07:13
This does not mean that pilot from LOT are not good driver,actually I found them very good pilots better than Lufthansa but.......please we do not wanna talk about English language .
I have to remind you that several times LOT has been delay due the fact pilots could not speak in english .. actually one time have been grounded I think it happen in Heatrow due to the fact pilots could not understand ,incident has been reported in news.
Now say that I repeat I feel safer flying with LOT or Eurolot rather than any other company.

"Polish Pilots Recently a Lot Boeing 737 with ninety-three passengers aboard came within seconds of a midair collision. The plane was being piloted with two Polish-pilots who had not passed the English proficiency exam. The plane was flying into Heathrow Airport when the controllers had advised them with instructions after their instruments became unreliable. The pilots could not understand the controllers' instructions and often deviated from their vectors. Because of the Polish pilots' inability to understand clearly where they were in relationship to the airport, the controllers had to vector another plane instead in order to avoid a mid-air collision. In the final report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) it states:
“The crew of Lot 282 were not able to communicate adequately the nature and extent of their problem . . .The commander, who was making the radio calls, was not able to understand some of the instructions . . . the initial error by the co-pilot . . .was compounded by the difficulty of obtaining information from the pilots because of their limited command of English ” (Ben Webster, 2008)"

latetonite
28th Apr 2012, 11:54
And what has this to do with the integrity of the planes of RwandAir or their pilots? Or their Operation for that matter?

pipo1
28th Apr 2012, 14:43
So how many ex Olympic captains are currently at Rwandair, 6-7?
Do they not stick together and share all the better nightstops, like DBX?

4runner
23rd May 2012, 00:29
Do a group of guys that went through flight training together, flew together at their national airline for probably 25 years and now work together in Sub-Saharan Afrika stick together??? What do you think? I've worked in Afrika too. It's not easy and it's a lonely place at times. Can't speak about the nightstops. If you don't like the guys, then why would you want to spend hours in the cockpit together and then a few days in Dubai with them?

ndugu747
19th Jun 2012, 11:44
Does anyone know or have the procedures or Questions that RwandAir ask during the Interviews?

Speed1 Bird
21st Jun 2012, 18:18
Thankx Scotty, well said and maturely articulated. Been long since we met in Kigali:D

L-13
30th Oct 2012, 04:15
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the website mentioned the CRJ's have arrived, is that correct?great to see the expansion!

bob.sakamano
30th Oct 2012, 05:53
The first one has arrived. The second is to be delivered early to mid November. First CRJ-900 NextGens in Africa.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and suggest that when Rwandair's CRJ-900 hit the age of Arik's once brand new -900's, they will be in MUCH better condition.

saxdh8c
28th Jul 2013, 20:10
Its been over a year now since the last post on this thread. Could someone with info please update us on recent news at this airline?Heard new 737 Ng arrived,new routes like Doula, capetown, Harare and even Mumbai in the pipeline Accra up and running Interesting developments I must say.

In particular I am interested in knowing if they currently hire non rwandan f/os on the 737. If yes could someone please share their experience?How many days off in a week can an "expat" f/o get? are two days or more consecutive possible? what is the airline policy regarding jump seats and discount tickets for pilots to african destinations on of days off or leave. thanks in advance.

727-2F9
29th Jul 2013, 12:51
Non Rwandan 737 F/Os? saxdh8c, the question should be, whether they even have any Rwandan pilots at all

737-NG
18th Aug 2013, 06:48
Actually a couple months ago I saw in an ad that they were recruiting young Rwandans for a cadet scheme. Those sub 23 year old guys would be sent to the Ethiopian Airlines academy for training and be put directly on the 737-800. Now I know they have African captains and SFO's but Rwandan specifically... No idea.

9XR-SC
4th Jan 2014, 15:29
737 fleet at RwandAir : 2 B737-800s with the Sky Interrior and 2 B737-700s leased from ILFC ex Air Berlin delivered in 2007

MRO will now perform by Ethiopian Airlines, the current RwandAir chairman is the former Ethiopian Airlines CEO, Girma Wake. The airline is currently working to get IOSA certification (Howard Consultants - aviation consultants, aviation safety management systems, IOSA training, ISAGO training (http://www.howardconsultants.net/)) this year and also to get ETOPS to fly to Mumbai, accoding to Commercial Director, Bert Van Der Stege, but i don't know the current status about the ETOPS.

This year RwandAir will take delivery of a brand new Q400NG and will add 2 B787s by late 2014, but it seems it will be in 2015. 2 formers RAM B787 LN17 / LN19. They have an option for two CRJ-900NGs but they eye C-Series.

About destinations, this year the airline wants to fly to Abidjan, Douala, Khartoum, Lusaka, Harare and Mumbai (dependings ETOPS certification). For 2015, they eye China (Guangzhou) and Europe (either Brussels, London, Amsterdam or Frankfurt).

Currently they fly to Bujumbura, Kilimanjaro, Dar Es Salaam, Juba, Lagos, Accra, Libreville, Nairobi, Brazzaville, Mombasa, Kamembe, Entebbe, Johannesburg and Dubai.

Now I know they have African captains and SFO's but Rwandan specifically... No idea.

And they had the first Rwandan captain last month, rated on B737NG.

Try to contact them : [email protected]

Aleboni
5th Jan 2014, 17:53
Are there any possibilities for me to work in Rwandair? I'm fresh CPL/IR with 300 hrs MCC/JOC, FI(A) rating.

4runner
5th Jan 2014, 18:33
No...........

Aleboni
5th Jan 2014, 18:42
why not?...

CentreOfExcellence
6th Jan 2014, 02:35
Because he said, "NNNNO!"

JeyFromLFMT
25th Apr 2014, 16:02
Hello everybody!

I am currently flying in france for corporate and military operational flights on Falcon. But I'm done with this job, they'll never get me upgraded even if i stay 10 more years, (as they don't need any captain and they don't want to pay for it anyway...)

So I am trying to find something on the big busses now. A job in Africa would be great. I am wondering if a guy like me could interest them?
I have 3000TT, 1250jet, 1250turboprop, and some experience in africa, I've been living in Burundi for 2 years so relocating in rwanda is not a problem at all...

I believe they wont be paying for non rated people but I've been saving some money so I can assume this cost (as I can still consider it as a training, but i'll never pay for LTs, I don't agree with those methods, personal opinion, I don't wanna argue about it, there is enough discussions on it around here.

I take any good advice Thanks guys!